What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1801 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #27001
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
If a "professional" is charging $300 to $400 for an alignment, they had best be ready to guarantee that alignment FOR LIFE, and throw in a steak dinner at a top end restaurant!!!
To clarify, a local shop charges up to $400 to do a full alignment on heavily modified vehicles, which they guarantee for life. I probably wouldn't take my Jeep in after a budget boost for that, but I can't speak to everybody, and it's certainly a possibility that somebody would spend their money that way.

None of the dinky $50 big-box alignment shops could dial in my alignment if I wanted them to. Better to just know what steering angles are and get it basic yourself at that rate. You'll be doing a better job than the dillweeds at NTB or Pepboys and it won't cost you anything.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #27002
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
You're very lucky about the CL deal... And if you didn't get those springs free, that would have been costing you a lot more, plus stock 5.9 springs aren't giving a 5.2 4" lift in the rear I bet.
I doubt it too since I got 3.5" of lift from front UC coils in the rear on my 95.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #27003
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

when you guys swap out radios, do you usually disconnect the battery?

i'm going to replace mine this weekend, install kit on the way, and wanted to see what you guys do...
kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #27004
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
To clarify, a local shop charges up to $400 to do a full alignment on heavily modified vehicles, which they guarantee for life. I probably wouldn't take my Jeep in after a budget boost for that, but I can't speak to everybody, and it's certainly a possibility that somebody would spend their money that way.

None of the dinky $50 big-box alignment shops could dial in my alignment if I wanted them to. Better to just know what steering angles are and get it basic yourself at that rate. You'll be doing a better job than the dillweeds at NTB or Pepboys and it won't cost you anything.
angle finder and a tape measurer are all you need to align pretty much any solid axle vehicle. I never took mine for an alignment after the first(inexperience).
set caster(angle finder),
set toein (tape),
straighten steering wheel(common sense).
drink beer(sammich optional)

that being said, ill probably have a local shop put mine on the 4 wheel alignment machine just because i re-engineered/built everything from the floorpan down on mine so my thrust angle could be off a hair or something.
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #27005
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_jeep View Post
when you guys swap out radios, do you usually disconnect the battery?

i'm going to replace mine this weekend, install kit on the way, and wanted to see what you guys do...
I disconnect the battery whenever I'm messing with something electrical. Better safe than sorry

OT: I had to redo the drivers side pillar mount for my light to keep the mounting bolt of the light from touching the windshield. They ain't the prettiest things in the world but I can't complain for having $7 and a couple hours work in them
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #27006
kali_jeep
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post
I disconnect the battery whenever I'm messing with something electrical. Better safe than sorry

OT: I had to redo the drivers side pillar mount for my light to keep the mounting bolt of the light from touching the windshield. They ain't the prettiest things in the world but I can't complain for having $7 and a couple hours work in them
right, better safe then sorry .... and is what i will do
kali_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #27007
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

I finally got around to taking my front driveshaft to a shop to have them lengthen it and balance it(4'' lift+46rh tranny=every u joint junkyard shaft about 3'' too short) Gotta pick it up Tuesday. It will be nice to have 4 wheel drive back for winter. And mud...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using JeepForum
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #27008
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

My shop does them for $50, even when it's got highly modified suspension. There's no "lifetime guarantee" I'm not even sure what that would mean... But it's guaranteed to be correct.
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #27009
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

[QUOTE=speedbucket;17517185
set caster(angle finder),
set toein (tape),
straighten steering wheel(common sense).
drink beer(sammich optional)
[/QUOTE]

Hey, my repair manual reads like that too, only your step 4 is my step 1!!
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #27010
WJ4x4LIFE

Started packing today, plan on taking a weekend southern trip to visit family in Houston,TX. Going to stop by Sam Houston National Forest, and Huntsville State Park and it might just involve the ZJ, Anyone, near want to meet me down there, PM me...
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #27011
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
You're very lucky about the CL deal... And if you didn't get those springs free, that would have been costing you a lot more, plus stock 5.9 springs aren't giving a 5.2 4" lift in the rear I bet.
Measured before and after, 4" on the money with the 5.9 front coils in the back. As for front coils, yes i got a deal from a good friend. Even so used 4" coils are worth 50-60 bucks so not much more of an investment. Craigslist is there for everyone, you just have to look.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #27012
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Went all over the valley looking for a filter that would work for a cowl snorkel as I needed to delete the stock airbox. Couldn't find anything that wasn't a 6" diameter base. Gave up and did this instead.
jeep-build-2.jpg

Relocated the charcoal canister and now it looks like this.
jeep-build-3.jpg

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #27013
ELMCZJ95

Put the Jeep in the shop today to get Line-X'd!
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #27014
Jbat

image-1848944715.jpg

Driving from TEXAS to Colorado !!! Top of the panhandle now
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #27015
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Looks like a PT Cruiser on 22"s lol
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.