What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1796 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #26926
TurboTPI
1995 ZJ 

Washed the jeep today for the first time since the beginning of summer. Because I haven't been driving it most of the summer. But it's back to daily commuter now. Also have another kill story. On my way home from work and a kid in a loud, ex police squad car (Crown Vic) with flowmaster stickers on it pulls up next to me at 45mph and looks over at me. I just look at him with an an annoyed look. He floors it, so I do the same. I pass him and pull away at a pretty good rate. I slow back down and he catches back up to me and is giving me thumbs up and looks amazed. Haha. His face was priceless. I couldn't imagine getting beat by a lifted 95 Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder.

09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #26927
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
Got my 242 bezel in, now to get said 242 and put it in.
I swapped my 242 bezel, shift gate, and wiring behind my VIC about a year before I actually got around to swapping in my 242. Don't be like me and wait forever.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #26928
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Pulled the D35 out, XJ D44 about to go in once I finish the ZJ disc install. Awaiting new RE coils..

OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #26929
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
I swapped my 242 bezel, shift gate, and wiring behind my VIC about a year before I actually got around to swapping in my 242. Don't be like me and wait forever.
Yeah, I don't have the shift gate yet. Forgot about that actually.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #26930
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Determined that I might have mis-read a coolant leak yesterday. Looks like the water pump probably isn't leaking (although it's hard to tell), but just the lower hose connection. Oh boy, weather's getting cold. Hose clamp tightening season has returned!
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #26931
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have the shift gate yet. Forgot about that actually.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
The transfer case swap was actually easier than swapping the darn shift gate. I also swapped the spring so the handle would pull to the driver side rather than pulling to the passenger side like it does for the 249. I think the spring was actually the hardest part because I did it all without disconnecting any of the linkage. I'm sure if I would have actually pulled the linkage from my Jeep.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #26932
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I just kept the 249 shift gate when I did my 242. Other people very rarely drive it and I almost never use 4FT anyway, so there's very little risk of missing into neutral. And honestly, easily 50% of the times I go into 4wd, it's straight from 2wd to 4lo.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #26933
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
Pulled the D35 out, XJ D44 about to go in once I finish the ZJ disc install. Awaiting new RE coils..

If you do not mind me asking. What was the year of the XJ that your D44 came out of?
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #26934
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I just kept the 249 shift gate when I did my 242. Other people very rarely drive it and I almost never use 4FT anyway, so there's very little risk of missing into neutral. And honestly, easily 50% of the times I go into 4wd, it's straight from 2wd to 4lo.
Yeah, I need to do the shift gate too so my wife doesn't have issues if she has to drive it. Plus living in MN (with winter on the way) I anticipate using 4FT a fair amount.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #26935
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah, I need to do the shift gate too so my wife doesn't have issues if she has to drive it. Plus living in MN (with winter on the way) I anticipate using 4FT a fair amount.
That's the reason I did the shift gate. My wife, on occasion, will take my Jeep to work when the weather is bad. I wanted to make it easier for her to use. In Chicagoland, we get some pretty wicked lake effect snow sometimes. 4FT comes in handy.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #26936
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post

Seems kinda odd to take one from an xj, won't you have to weld on brackets since xjs are leafed rear? Is there an advantage to an xj d44 to the zj d44 that came in the later v8s??

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #26937
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
That's the reason I did the shift gate. My wife, on occasion, will take my Jeep to work when the weather is bad. I wanted to make it easier for her to use. In Chicagoland, we get some pretty wicked lake effect snow sometimes. 4FT comes in handy.
My wife will only need my ZJ when I'm working on her Explorer.

Where did you get your shift gate from?
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #26938
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Seems kinda odd to take one from an xj, won't you have to weld on brackets since xjs are leafed rear? Is there an advantage to an xj d44 to the zj d44 that came in the later v8s??
I was thinking the same thing, besides this I do not any other difference between them aside of two things XJ D44 is true vs ZJ D44A is alum. and leaf vs coil. On the ZJ D44A axle they stuffed steel tubes into it, which also takes the brunt of the axle wrap force, and this stresses the housing a lot more. This is part of what causes the carrier & pinion bearings to wear quicker than a regular housing. I believe that is why he is in for the swap with fab work, which is easy if you know what to do. I would still go with a ford 8.8 swap.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #26939
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
My wife will only need my ZJ when I'm working on her Explorer.

Where did you get your shift gate from?
I got everything from my local Pick N Pull. It took a few trips to get the bezel, but the gates are normally readily available because most people just swap the bezel.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #26940
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I got everything from my local Pick N Pull. It took a few trips to get the bezel, but the gates are normally readily available because most people just swap the bezel.
I'll see about the gate when I get my TC then. I already have the bezel. I can probably also get one direct from Chrysler if I want to.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.