What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1771 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #26551
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum5nine View Post
Been installing stereos for 14 years so i do it with my eyes closed lol. I can write one up for you though, i just have to open the harness up again and pull the radio out quick. Gime a day or two.
No problem. Will be a while before I replace my factory radio (i.e. after a 242 swap) but I am planning to.

smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #26552
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Finished installing my rebuilt 44RE and T-case. Shifts great and no binding in tight corners. Life is good again.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #26553
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post

Hats off to you sir!
What kinda dog?
Blue heeler mix. Somebody has spent some time with him though. He knows sit, stay and heel. I'm guessing they tried hunting him and it didn't work out so they dumped him. Here's a pic. Just gotta pick a name now lol
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #26554
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
No problem. Will be a while before I replace my factory radio (i.e. after a 242 swap) but I am planning to.
You dont have to bypass the amp when replacing the stereo. you are actually better off leaving it unless you plan to replace the speakers. If you replace the speakers then its best to bypass or replace the factory amp.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Platinum5nine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #26555
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
You dont have to bypass the amp when replacing the stereo. you are actually better off leaving it unless you plan to replace the speakers. If you replace the speakers then its best to bypass or replace the factory amp.
I'll be replacing the speakers yet again. At least one door speaker & one tweeter is blown....
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #26556
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Get yourself 4 good speakers, forget the tweeters in the dash.
Platinum 5.9 2.25" engine pipes 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Hooker Aerochamber, 3" tail pipe, Ported kegger, 52MM Throttle Body, 24lb injectors, K&N drop in filter, Cast JEEP valve covers, MSD coil and wires, All new 6 piece clear light kit, 255/65/16 General Grabber HTS, 242 conversion, XJ u-joint front axle shafts
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #26557
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
That's bad advice. Get yourself a good set of components for the front and mount the tweeters in the factory location.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #26558
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
because stage means nothing
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #26559
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post

Blue heeler mix. Somebody has spent some time with him though. He knows sit, stay and heel. I'm guessing they tried hunting him and it didn't work out so they dumped him. Here's a pic. Just gotta pick a name now lol
That's a good lookin dog. Maybe you can name him Zebidiah James, or ZJ for short. Lol
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #26560
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
That's bad advice. Get yourself a good set of components for the front and mount the tweeters in the factory location.

Now thats TERRIBLE advice! Tweeters should not be more than about 6" away from the woofers for best sound quality. The absolute worst thing you can do is mount a woofer in the door and a tweeter 3 feet away from it in the dash.
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #26561
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Get good speakers and keep the factory tweeters, they're not bad. The factory amp is good once you rip out the factory stereo.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #26562
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

Factory amp is very low power. Stock speakers are 2 ohms, aftermarkets are 4 ohms. You get half the power out of the already anemic stock amp when you replace the speakers. The higher input voltage from the new radio makes up for some of this but not enough. Will it work with the stock amp? of course it will, but it will sound better with it bypassed.

On a side not, if you have a 5.9 grand you have to bypass the stock amp when replacing speakers as the rear doors are crossed over with in the amp as subwoofers. They play bass only.
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #26563
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
On a side not, if you have a 5.9 grand you have to bypass the stock amp when replacing speakers as the rear doors are crossed over with in the amp as subwoofers. They play bass only.
Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure there's no crossover in the amp. The rear speakers are just woofers, but that's because they're identical to the front door woofers (unlike other ZJs where the rear speakers have a tweeter in them and are full range speakers).
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #26564
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Now thats TERRIBLE advice! Tweeters should not be more than about 6" away from the woofers for best sound quality. The absolute worst thing you can do is mount a woofer in the door and a tweeter 3 feet away from it in the dash.
Time alignment for the win. Try it. Staging is everything. And I guarantee to most people on here, keeping the tweeters up in the dash would be favorable. You have to have pretty trained ears to hear the phasing issues caused by the distance between the mids and tweets. I'd venture to say those with that ability more than likely will end up with a fully active setup and a head unit or sound processor that allows for time alignment. I know that's the route I went.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #26565
Platinum5nine
1998 ZJ 

My 5.9 plays bass only out of the rear doors, not full range like the regular ZJ The sound bar in the back makes up for it. Front doors are full range woofers with tweters in the dash, rear doors are low range drivers, sound bar is a 5.25" component system. It was a 5.9 only option, no other ZJ came with this option.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.