What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1742 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #26116
Josef86
1996 ZJ 

Installed the TJ fuel bezel. Well, last night I did.

Today I arrange to have it's brother delivered. Believe it's an ('94?) XJ, 80K miles, most from being towed behind and RV. My relative parked it in shed after a fender bender. It's going to become the daily and the ZJ will be retired.

Gotta love family.

image-847040832.jpg

image-1536759912.jpg

Josef86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #26117
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Did a quick fluid change on the rear diff, just as some insurance/to quiet it down until I get to put the new axle in. Fluid was black as night, I filled it with 1/2 Lucas oil treatment and 1/2 75w-140. Surprisingly from the first short drive it didn't sound any quieter, even with such a thick mixture. I guess I have some reassurance knowing that there's fresh fluid in there to prolong it's life a bit but still. Just a little disappointed lol (and the smell/feel of diff oil is my most despised automotive related anything).
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #26118
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrocker View Post
Did a quick fluid change on the rear diff, just as some insurance/to quiet it down until I get to put the new axle in. Fluid was black as night, I filled it with 1/2 Lucas oil treatment and 1/2 75w-140. Surprisingly from the first short drive it didn't sound any quieter, even with such a thick mixture. I guess I have some reassurance knowing that there's fresh fluid in there to prolong it's life a bit but still. Just a little disappointed lol (and the smell/feel of diff oil is my most despised automotive related anything).
If the carrier bearings are bad a fluid change won't do poop. I went through all that on mine. Did you see any teeth in the gears missing or anything obvious when you opened it up?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #26119
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

I got some sliders made. Unfortunately they are sitting too low and they don't come out far enough to protect the door. So I'm going back tomorrow to talk to the fab shop and have them fixed.

They used 2"x2" on the tubes that connect the sliders to the frame instead of 1"x3" and they used 1" angle to attach to the pinch seam. So they are hanging down almost 2" father than they should. Not to mention they put the bolts in the pinch seam from the outside. The silver bolts look ridiculous.
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #26120
DRUMatthias
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin600
There is nothing wrong with a bit of rice :P hee hee Who likes my spare screen wash holding compartment? lol
dude... What. Is. That? Why is that valve cover breather tube tapped into your (yours?) wiper fluid?? So lost... That chimney stack come filter is kinda hilarious. And yeah, nice overflow tank for the tank that feeds into the ... Engine? And wipers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
its a durango/dakota air hat and requiered a lot of hood trim no big deal though with a grinder it took 10 minutes chap stick top v intake shootout v www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/154-0804-jeep-wrangler-intake-shootout/
wow...I dunno about a dodge hat...I just don't wanna hack up the hood underguard for a little more air. Definitely a bit of a choke point but if I can't find one that fits without a hacking mod, I'll leave it be. Checked the tube & hat tonight when I got home. Neither could burn my fingers but both get close. They both get hot...I'm not buyin into any performance difference in materials used. More room for air to move thru is key. As we all know, it's not just length, it's girth that really counts. Plus there were several metal CAIs that surpass K&N's performance numbers, all of which are about 2% apart from "best to worst" which points to saving money on one of the least expensive CAIs since it makes essentially no difference from 1 level above cheapest to the most expensive.
DRUMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #26121
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
If the carrier bearings are bad a fluid change won't do poop. I went through all that on mine. Did you see any teeth in the gears missing or anything obvious when you opened it up?
I'd diagnosed the sound as a carrier bearing a while back which is why I picked up a D35 with disks. I had planned to install it this month now that I have the cash to freshen it up (pads, rotors, lubelocker etc.) but now I'm in the middle of moving. the new axle won't get dropped in for another month or two, I figured new fluid wouldn't hurt (no idea how long it was in there). Didn't know it wouldn't help the carrier bearing noise but it definetly needed a fluid change anyway, hoping it'll help it stay alive until I replace the whole axle. And being that it's getting replaced soon anyway I didn't bother pulling to cover to inspect it/clean the magnet. just siphoned the fluid in/out with a hand pump.
Unread 10-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #26122
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post
I got some sliders made. Unfortunately they are sitting too low and they don't come out far enough to protect the door. So I'm going back tomorrow to talk to the fab shop and have them fixed.

They used 2"x2" on the tubes that connect the sliders to the frame instead of 1"x3" and they used 1" angle to attach to the pinch seam. So they are hanging down almost 2" father than they should. Not to mention they put the bolts in the pinch seam from the outside. The silver bolts look ridiculous.
Hope they fix that! You lose considerable clearance having it so low Looks good besides that though!

OT: Finally tested the jeep's 2wd with dat 318. I think I'm gonna enjoy burning tires on take off.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #26123
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

OT: Finally tested the jeep's 2wd with dat 318. I think I'm gonna enjoy burning tires on take off. [/QUOTE]

Beware: It's addictive!!

OT: Nothing to it because this weekend I'm gonna be making a trip with it out of town. However my all aluminum radiator and my tranny cooler lines are in. That will be in the next few weekends plans.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using JeepForum
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #26124
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

CAI's are good for bling and that's about it Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
Having owned a K&N, a Durango air hat setup, and an eBay FIPK, I'm inclined to agree with Polka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin600
There is nothing wrong with a bit of rice :P

hee hee

Who likes my spare screen wash holding compartment? lol
I also agree with this, though. Once I decided none of the FIPKs made enough of a difference to bother keeping, I said screw it. Now the niner is all blinged out.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #26125
luxuryoffroad
1996 ZJ 

drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads for both front and rear on my ZJ
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #26126
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Sprayed my lower rear control arm bolts with PB Blaster in preparation of the new control arm install I'll be doing after Fed Ex drops off my new ones today.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #26127
Martin600
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMatthias View Post
dude... What. Is. That? Why is that valve cover breather tube tapped into your (yours?) wiper fluid?? So lost... That chimney stack come filter is kinda hilarious. And yeah, nice overflow tank for the tank that feeds into the ... Engine? And wipers?
I think you are lost :P

The red filter, the breather pipe just sits there. It's just to stop any oil vapour floating around in the bay. There doesn't appear to be anything coming outta there anyway.

I keep my half gallon of spare washer fluid in a container in the bottom half of the old air box.

In the top hat, silver filter I have, lol the breather doesn't go into the washer tank! just looks like it haha just disconnected sitting there doing nowt.

If you want me to confuse you though, my aircon pump is below the power steering pump factory put it there, and the 249 case came standard with the 4.0 engine here too
Martin600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #26128
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

I have Geico and found out they insure customized equipment so I got a quote to add coverage for the lift and tires at a total of $1600. Only $3 more per 6 months. Not sure if it'll ever amount to anything if it ever gets totaled but for $3 I figure why the hell not.

Here's the email I first got when I requested it online: "We have received your request to update the vehicle information on the 1998 Jeep. We will need some additional information in order to process your request. Please advise us how many inches has the vehicle been raised from the standard for that model?" I thought that was pretty f'n cool lol. I replied "about 4" for now" and they replied back 10 minutes later with an updated policy. Can't get no easier than that! I hope I didn't jinx myself now!
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #26129
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post

that looks like a hot air intake that metal pipe is gonna get hot

for better power and less r.i.c.e. factor you should get a durango air hat and some kind of tube pvc or whatever then go back to the stock air filter and modify the stock air box

also big alternators are cheap at the boneyard
If you want a big alt get one off a ambulance
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #26130
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
Sprayed my lower rear control arm bolts with PB Blaster in preparation of the new control arm install I'll be doing after Fed Ex drops off my new ones today.
After doing all the rear arms last week the lowers are definitely easier, plenty of room for my bulky impact wrench (even without jacking it up).

Side note I seafoamed my engine today. Had always used it in the gas tank but never in the intake before. Used between 1/3-1/2 of the can in the brake booster line. It sucked it right up and I let it sit for a little under 20 minutes. To my surprise I didn't really have much smoke when I turned her back on. And the little I did have cleared up in under a minute. Could I have used too little and poured it in too slowly?

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.