What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1734 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #25996
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

stock orvis v-8s come with 136 dont see why it wont just bolt up but im not as close to it as you are

quick question to your local dealer could solve your problem compare the part number to the part number on a stock zj 136 amp

970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #25997
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
Got a free 136A alternator from a Caravan and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can make it work on my ZJ....

The alternator the ZJ originally came with:

The Caravan alternator:

Can I make this work, or am I screwed??
Thanks in advance!!!!
Looks like you will be splicing some wires. Try google searching.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #25998
Jake_A

got the first coat of bed liner in, next coat in 1.5hrs
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #25999
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
Got a free 136A alternator from a Caravan and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can make it work on my ZJ....

The alternator the ZJ originally came with:

The Caravan alternator:

Can I make this work, or am I screwed??
Thanks in advance!!!!
Looks like the bolt up brackets might be the same hard to tell from a pic but looks like it could bolt up. And the Caravan alt looks like a 2 wire alt (two wires at the wiring plug on the back and the ZJ alts are also 2 wire.

Like Polka said you could splice the wires or rather than chopping up your factory wiring harness, get some small ring terminals and crimp them on each of the two wires that are coming off the plug on the back of the Caravan alt and then use small bolts/nuts to connect the ring terminals to the two terminals coming off that little black box thats connected to your ZJ alt. Then just heat shrink or electrical tape over the connections so nothing shorts out if it touches bare metal and your good to go. Its simple to do.

Like this setup on my Mechman 270amp alt, how it connects to the factory ZJ wiring. This will help make what I said make more sense.

Showing the plug on the alt itself is incompatible with the factory ZJ wiring but being a 2 wire field terminal system it can be wired up to the factory harness with the two ring terminals and mini bolts/nuts.

Showing the connection to factory harness.

You would want to make sure you electrical tape or heat shrink over those two connections so nothing shorts out. The tape was removed in this picture to show the connections better.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #26000
98ZJLTD
Your moms favorite Jeeper

1998 ZJ 

What did I do to my ZJ today? Nothing!! Was planning on doing the 231 swap today, however the Jeep gods very apparently didn't want that to happen. Woke up early to get a jump start on gathering parts, however ended up having to make a 2 hr detour to run a completely unrelated errand on the other side of town, then O'Reilly didn't have the trans output seal, but could have it by 1130 so I ordered it and went and took care of the rest of the running around I needed to do. Got back to O'Reilly at 1145 to find out the guy didn't complete the order and my seal still wasnt there. Went to Napa across the street and they told me they could have it in an hour and a half or I could drive 20 min to another store to get it myself. I should have had them call and verify because when I got there they didn't have it either. Super irritating day!! End rant here.

At this point I'm over it and don't wanna deal with anymore so I'm looking around online for the correct seal and I'm just gonna order the seal and do the swap next weekend. I see on the how to do a t case swap thread the item number for the national seal is listed but I'm wondering if that's the best route to go, or is there are any better quality seals I should look for?

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #26001
David97
1995 ZJ 

Its raining. So looked at it. Lights still not wired up. lol However, got my tubing in yesterday, so hopefully Thursday I can build my front bumper.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #26002
Jake_A

Unread 10-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #26003
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

welp.... might not be as exciting as everyone else. but after being onthe road for 14 hours. my driveway acquired my ZJ from my parents house and been driving the last day for the first time in a year. and a buddies BMW that i am working on.... hopefully next pay my zj with have tags and find some 4.5 springs so i can keep my 32s on and not have to cut anymore

1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #26004
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
Looks like the bolt up brackets might be the same hard to tell from a pic but looks like it could bolt up. And the Caravan alt looks like a 2 wire alt (two wires at the wiring plug on the back and the ZJ alts are also 2 wire.

Like Polka said you could splice the wires or rather than chopping up your factory wiring harness, get some small ring terminals and crimp them on each of the two wires that are coming off the plug on the back of the Caravan alt and then use small bolts/nuts to connect the ring terminals to the two terminals coming off that little black box thats connected to your ZJ alt. Then just heat shrink or electrical tape over the connections so nothing shorts out if it touches bare metal and your good to go. Its simple to do.

Like this setup on my Mechman 270amp alt, how it connects to the factory ZJ wiring. This will help make what I said make more sense.

Showing the plug on the alt itself is incompatible with the factory ZJ wiring but being a 2 wire field terminal system it can be wired up to the factory harness with the two ring terminals and mini bolts/nuts.

Showing the connection to factory harness.

You would want to make sure you electrical tape or heat shrink over those two connections so nothing shorts out. The tape was removed in this picture to show the connections better.
Thanks a Jeep-load!!! Great info!!
Did you take out your alternator just to show me that?
I may just go do that now, before dinner is ready.

JFTR: I DID measure all the dimensions for the Caravan alt. and it SHOULD slide right into place like it belongs there!!

I may start looking for a Durango 160A alt., just because I think that 136 amps STILL may not be enough juice to feed my Niner e-fan, headlights, heater motor on high, wipers, and rear defrost that I'll end up using simultaneously over the course of the upcoming Maine winter.

Plus I have six 55W off road lights, a power inverter, and a Superwinch LP10,000 that will be sucking juice from the system as well

I'm also considering putting a second battery where my airbox is when I relocate the airbox and convert to cowl induction.

Again, THANKS TO YOU ALL!!

BTW: Where did you find a 270A alternator?
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #26005
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

DCpowerinc makes a 270a. My 150a niner alt keeps up fine with my 660w of high beams / driving lights and the e-fan on low with just a little voltage dip at idle, none at 900+ rpm.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #26006
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Mine is a Mechman 270a and like comptiger said DC Power makes great alts too. Both are expensive but they put out the juice, mine tested at 141 amps at idle and 273 amps at 1800 engine rpm. The Mechman 270a was $550 with the AVBM (adjustable voltage boost module) but I bought it used for under a year from my buddy and only paid him $250 for it and the DC Power alts are a little more I think around $650 or so.

Just looked and the only two listed for 93-98 ZJs on the website are 240amp for $400 and 320amp for $500.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #26007
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

IIRC, the dcpower 270 is spec-ed for 180 amps at hot idle (on their site).
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #26008
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Towed a trailer with the niner for the first time. Pulled it like a charm.
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #26009
shadetreejack
1998 ZJ 

Put license plate on it! Ordered rocker panel patches. checked on shipping of fender and headlight header panel. polished the headlight lens with a mixture of polishing compound and that blue stuff. Had a key made. Yesterday I walked around a huge salvage yard ( in my dress shoes) looking for a 98 ZJ for parts. I need a vapor canister, an inner fender (in case if I can't hammer the original into close enough shape)
shadetreejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #26010
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Tried installing my new ignition switch and cylinder. Looks like the guy at the stealership cut the tumblers wrong. Won't turn and can't pull it apart again. Damn. Parts dept guy has new stuff on the way and will eat anything that is their fault.

Finally got around to stripping the integra. Radio, stereo, etc are going into the niner, and the teg is going to the JY.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.