Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#33,921 ·
AmishFury said:
sounds like my gov pressure sensor... started acting up i started looking up prices... it behaved for a few days, started acting up again so i ordered the parts... it behaved for a week, started acting up i got the parts in and put them inside the jeep... behaved for a few weeks then it was a rollercoaster of behaving and misbehaving while i tried to think of options for getting to where i had room to work until i called in a favor with the shop my dad worked at... hell it even tried behaving during the drive out there
::Googles gov pressure sensor::

#33,923 ·
EndIsNear said:
Did a compression test on the 4.0 today. Dry: #1 - 145 #2 - 150 #3 - 140 #4 - 130 #5 - 150 #6 - 150 Wet: #1 - 145 #2 - 180 #3 - 165 #4 - 160 #5 - 160 #6 - 170 Now, my Haynes says 120-150 is acceptable with a 30 PSI variance from the highest reading, which would make my dry tests okay, right? Now, with the wet test, I didn't have a very consistent method of injecting the same amount of oil each time into each cylinder, so could that be the cause of such a difference in readings? Also, just ordered front lower adjustable control arms. One of my stock control arms is bent from being towed at some point, and has movement. Just the excuse I needed :)
Wet test is to see if your rings are ok. It's a test that is pretty dated. It's actually frowned upon by most because of the fact that you can put to much oil in and do some serious damage. The engine sounds fine.

You're readings sound good though. Mine were about the same.

#33,924 ·
Sure. I'll chime in. I can't be on board with Sony subs. For the money, you'd be better off with an Alpine Type E sub. That's my recommendation if your hell bound on getting it at Best Buy. Throw it in a small, prefabbed sealed box with some polyfill. The sound will be smooth and crisp. Give it about 400 watts of real power and you'll be happy.
I gotta agree, at best buy, get better than sony, they have crazy mark up there. I build my own boxes tho, Every prefab ive found on the cheap has been horrible.
You might wanna browse some local audio shops, see what they have. I found a good dual voice coil alpine type r 12" for about $150. The place closed and moved elsewhere so i can't get ya current prices on them..

#33,925 ·
So im checking out some coverage of KOH on the spike tv gear shows and the disclaimer on it reads "Professional drivers".. Seriously? The KOH amateur class people are far from pro drivers lmao!

OT debating if i should give the girl a bath or leave her for the maybe rain showers to clean up.. Gonna get her ready for a 4 1/2hr trek to the panhandle in a few days. This is gonna be the first real leg stretch she's gonna have seen in a few years. Last time we went that far, we ended up renting a new camry to head up to oak island, nc. This mini trip should also give me a good read on her highway performance since a full tune up, and let me get a feel for exactoy how comfy these seats are gonna be.. Its gonna be out in horse rancher country so shes gonna be feeling at home again, away from this place 5 million people deep, and back out into country roads full of dirt and winding hills =D too bad its gonna be a short lived trip strictly for business..

#33,927 ·
I gotta agree, at best buy, get better than sony, they have crazy mark up there. I build my own boxes tho, Every prefab ive found on the cheap has been horrible.
You might wanna browse some local audio shops, see what they have. I found a good dual voice coil alpine type r 12" for about $150. The place closed and moved elsewhere so i can't get ya current prices on them..
Prefab ported boxes are crap. If you search for a 3/4" MDF sealed box, within your sub's recommended volume, you'll be happy. I run my Type X 10" in a small maybe .54 cube (I can't remember but that sounds right) box. It's clean and it gets loud when I crank it. I'm only feeding it 600 WRMS. It's rated for 1 kW and has lots of success going over that. My ZJ's electrical system wouldn't be good for that kind of power though and I'm not about to upgrade the charging system in there for a system. I have my car for those "needs."

#33,928 ·
Prefab ported boxes are crap. If you search for a 3/4" MDF sealed box, within your sub's recommended volume, you'll be happy. I run my Type X 10" in a small maybe .54 cube (I can't remember but that sounds right) box. It's clean and it gets loud when I crank it. I'm only feeding it 600 WRMS. It's rated for 1 kW and has lots of success going over that. My ZJ's electrical system wouldn't be good for that kind of power though and I'm not about to upgrade the charging system in there for a system. I have my car for those "needs."
Agreed. Running only the radio with my sony xplod cranked up drains my yellowtop down a fair bit off the factory 90a alt(dying for a good 160a to crop up by me). Running lights too puts me close to 12v actual after a bit. Yet another reason i don't have it anymore haha.
I build all my boxes. I have two sheets of 3/4" mdf waiting for me to turn prints into cuts one of these days. I'm sticking with sealed for a while, ported is just too bloody big for a dd family vehicle. Hell, the spare tire is almost too big to be inside half the time lol

#33,934 ·

Got half my order in, just waiting for the other two to arrive! Not sure why the order was split up but whatever.. Bilstein 4600s awaiting install

#33,935 ·
I removed the front bumper and grill. Let me know what you think please.
Looks like you got into an accident and haven't replaced anything. The no bumper look is alright (not my style, but free and functional), but no grille just looks dumb considering your header panel has the same bars in it as the grille....

#33,937 ·
Looks weird without the grill. Grill painted black would look good.

#33,938 ·
#33,940 ·
Got half my order in, just waiting for the other two to arrive! Not sure why the order was split up but whatever.. Bilstein 4600s awaiting install
Just put 5100s in mine, so much better than my blown white tubes

Sent from somewhere besides my computer