What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1668 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #25006
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stamford, CT / Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
It needs a new upper tie rod end so I'm gonna have to get it in by hand anyway, but I would really like it everything was fixed proper at this point. And I can't figure out in my head, somehow, how this caster adjustment is gonna work.
For caster adjustment, just play with the front LCA lengths until it drives well, steering feels good and there's no driveline vibes, then adjust the left and right individually until it tracks straight.

comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #25007
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
For caster adjustment, just play with the front LCA lengths until it drives well, steering feels good and there's no driveline vibes, then adjust the left and right individually until it tracks straight.
But stock control arms. Didn't figure it'd be necessary for 2.25" of lift. I do not have the money for this.

Anyway, I tried to wire the e-fan trigger up today. Turns out the ignition feed is always hot. Found that out the hard way, after getting the splice done. And here I thought electricity only flowed if the switch between positive and ground was closed. Silly me. Seriously though, that's the first time I've run into an always hot ignition feed. What the hell?

So I'm gonna give up on the thermostat (the probe is making the upper hose leak anyway) and let the A/C make the fan run. I still have to replace this tie rod end today, and figure out how to make the water pump stop eating the fan body.
__________________
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition - 82,000 miles

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #25008
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,526
The LCA's have cam bolts you can adjust, should be able to run 2.25" of lift with stock arms.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #25009
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Stamford, CT / Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The LCA's have cam bolts you can adjust, should be able to run 2.25" of lift with stock arms.
This. The cam bolts alter the effective length of the front LCAs.

For the ignition feed, there's a few wires into the Ign switch. 2 are always hot, the others are switched (1 is on with ACC and IGN, the other is on with only IGN).
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #25010
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 1,798
I have the fan in and I've just decided to screw using a thermostat for now. I'll just run it with the A/C. With that said, my alternator isn't cranking out enough power to run the fan at idle, so my voltage drops. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I think I can make do like this for the time being, but if it gives me one more problem within the next month, it's getting parked indefinitely and I'm switching back to the 240. In 2 weeks, I've spent over $2,000 trying to make this stupid Jeep that I bought for $1200 run. And I've driven a total of 50 miles in it in the meantime. Including buying the Nissan, I have yet to spend $2,000 on it, and it still runs better. I am really REALLY getting turned off from this damn Jeep. Maybe it'd be different if I had the money to blow, or time to blow it, but school starts on Thursday and I need transportation. Not to mention now I can't afford books because I've spent the last few weeks going consistently over budget because of stupid things like a water pump dying, followed by a steering box. (Did I mention the steering feels weird now, like the pump is on its way out?) Like I said, one more problem, and it's getting parked and covered. I won't even LOOK at it until the 240SX's project is done, and I'm not projecting to have that finished until 2015.

Getting real tired of your **** Jeep.
__________________
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition - 82,000 miles

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #25011
StPaul59
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I have the fan in and I've just decided to screw using a thermostat for now. I'll just run it with the A/C. With that said, my alternator isn't cranking out enough power to run the fan at idle, so my voltage drops. If it's not one thing, it's another.

I think I can make do like this for the time being, but if it gives me one more problem within the next month, it's getting parked indefinitely and I'm switching back to the 240. In 2 weeks, I've spent over $2,000 trying to make this stupid Jeep that I bought for $1200 run. And I've driven a total of 50 miles in it in the meantime. Including buying the Nissan, I have yet to spend $2,000 on it, and it still runs better. I am really REALLY getting turned off from this damn Jeep. Maybe it'd be different if I had the money to blow, or time to blow it, but school starts on Thursday and I need transportation. Not to mention now I can't afford books because I've spent the last few weeks going consistently over budget because of stupid things like a water pump dying, followed by a steering box. (Did I mention the steering feels weird now, like the pump is on its way out?) Like I said, one more problem, and it's getting parked and covered. I won't even LOOK at it until the 240SX's project is done, and I'm not projecting to have that finished until 2015.

Getting real tired of your **** Jeep.
You sound like I did in 07 lol when I traded in my ZJ. Now I have another! The reason I have a Maxima as a DD. Only reason I can own a Jeep is that I have a Nissan
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #25012
Maine1994ZJ
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phippsburg, Maine
Posts: 676
I drove it to work today. It's first trip since the 249 to 231 swap I finished last night.
After having to drive it for about 3500 miles with a locked up VC, it's like having a brand new rig!!!!
I went out in the parking lot and did full lock figure 8s at idle. Strangely, I enjoyed the hell out of it...
Without a doubt, the 231 transplant is THE best improvement I've ever done on any vehicle!!!!

I love my ZJ 10X more today than I did yesterday!!!!
__________________
We may have a HUGE carbon footprint, but we can still Tread Lightly!!!
Jeeps are addictive and there is no cure!!! Green Jeep Club #401
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/george-weezy-movin-up-1716906/
Maine1994ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #25013
98ZJLTD
Your moms favorite Jeeper
 
98ZJLTD's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 353
Drove her to work and back and had no wobbles or any other crap like that which was nice cuz I've been dealing with all kinds of wobbles and what not for like 2 months now. The fog lights were driving me nuts all day long since I can see the Jeep every time I walk into the shipping office at work, so I took em off when I got home. Kinda nice to do something just because I wanted to lol. Now to do some research on where I'm gonna relocate my charcoal canister to.
20130819_195658.jpg

__________________
98 ZJ Limited- NP231 swap, IRO 4.5 inch Springs, Hydro Shocks, IRO adjustable double shear track bar, JKS quick discos 33x12.50 Kumho Road Venture MT on 15x8 D windows with 3.75 inch BS

My build thread- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1557637/
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #25014
Hytek
Senior Member
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 705
Put on new rear shocks and end links from my IRO kit. Just have the rear track bar left and then alignment. Seems like it's taking forever to get this lift on with such little free time.
__________________
98 5.9 Limited - 3.5" IRO, Bilstein's, IRO track bars, home brew discos, 245/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, 1.25" spacers, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster 44
04 Limited 4.7 H.O w/Quadradrive - Superchips, 2012 JKUR wheels, 245/65-17 Nitto Terra Grappler AT's, Addco rear sway bar - daily driver
Hytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #25015
Roskoe
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
Drove her to work and back and had no wobbles or any other crap like that which was nice cuz I've been dealing with all kinds of wobbles and what not for like 2 months now. The fog lights were driving me nuts all day long since I can see the Jeep every time I walk into the shipping office at work, so I took em off when I got home. Kinda nice to do something just because I wanted to lol. Now to do some research on where I'm gonna relocate my charcoal canister to.
Get rid of it or turn it side ways and tuck it
__________________
"aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #25016
David97
Mr Wiggles
 
David97's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Posts: 468
Took some pictures of the output from my 34" Ebay lightbar.

Low beams-



Highbeams-



The light itself-

David97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #25017
EndIsNear
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 168
Holy crap that baby puts out!
EndIsNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #25018
CGlaser
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Columbus, Kansas
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndIsNear View Post
Holy crap that baby puts out!
Like a cheap whore. I wish I had one.

The light that is
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-zj-slow-build-1484672/
CGlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #25019
970001zj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,864
i want 4 of them

shut up and take my money
__________________
[QUOTE=PolkaPower;]96+249's are basically RWD until it slips then the awe kicks in.[/QUOTE]
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #25020
970001zj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,864
tried to diagnose the codes from the heater

i could hear the motors working for each setting but it still wont blow thru any of the vents

came up with some strange codes including 90 ( what ? )

think im going to get a new controller and see if that works
__________________
[QUOTE=PolkaPower;]96+249's are basically RWD until it slips then the awe kicks in.[/QUOTE]
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door latch
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.