What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1664 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 08-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #24946
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Yesterday I went off roading and covered everything in thick sticky mud. Today I had to go to a car wash because chunks of hard dried dirt were falling on the driveway (I'm at my parents' house and they don't like chunks of dirt all over). Next I need to get the mud out of the inside.

bmlarson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #24947
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlarson12 View Post
Yesterday I went off roading and covered everything in thick sticky mud. Today I had to go to a car wash because chunks of hard dried dirt were falling on the driveway (I'm at my parents' house and they don't like chunks of dirt all over). Next I need to get the mud out of the inside.
Poor baby. I was banned at the pressure wash after this.
3.jpg

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #24948
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndIsNear View Post
Worked on my replacement door a little more today. Also found some 245/70R17 with WJ Grand Cherokee Rogue Wheels for $400. Tires are Nitto Grapplers. Tread looks pretty good. 1000 times better than my current tires. Now my question is can I get by with 245s on stock suspension just long enough to order my BB in the next few weeks?
Yes they will doing the math new the tires are 30.5 inches and take into account a 245/75r16 which i have are 30.46 inches, and ive had mine since october i only rub at full crank and in terms of suspension travel trim to corner on the back side of the bumper but thats for steering at full compression so you are okay
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #24949
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
Yes they will doing the math new the tires are 30.5 inches and take into account a 245/75r16 which i have are 30.46 inches, and ive had mine since october i only rub at full crank and in terms of suspension travel trim to corner on the back side of the bumper but thats for steering at full compression so you are okay
When I had 255/75/17s on stock (32x10.5 R17 roughly) I rubbed on the control arms at lock, and on the front bumper at like half steer, and they rubbed with travel, but it was generally pretty tame. After the lift, I only get control arm rub at lock. I do still intend to drop to 31x10.5 though, and I think a lot of that not-rubbing is thanks to the wheel adapters I had to use to match the ZJ axles to JK wheels.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #24950
Rimfired
1993 ZJ 

Put on new distributor cap and rotor. Also did an oil change. Of course, I got the spark plug wires in the wrong order, but my Google-Fu quickly found me the correct order and all was well.
Rimfired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #24951
ScottyGunn
1996 ZJ 

Installed a 3" system from Kolac. Got the SS flowmaster CAT and Flowmaster muffler. The tailpipe comes in 2 parts, so if you have a lift you don't need to take the track bar off, but I don't have a lift.... Other than that it wasn't terrible to instal myself. I used clamps to get it so that it would pass inspection and I will have a friend help me weld it up when he has time. The sound is pretty decent. I wanted a quiet system and at low RPM it is very quiet. It does give a nice throaty growl at about 2k RPM when you get on it a bit, but then quiets right down for cruising.

Next is to install the Old Man Emu steering stiffener and replace the ball joints, upper and lower control arms, plugs, wires and cap.
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #24952
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimodes89
I listed it for sale
Mine will be joining yours shortly... Brought home the replacement today and got started on replacing the timing chain

It's gonna be weird switching to a yota. Especially finding a good forum to join.... But rest assured there's still tiny little jeeps driving through my veins I won't be abandoning this place completely
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #24953
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Took it to a shop where it took 6 hours to do a quoted 1.7 hour steering box replacement. The steering is tight again, except for the upper tie rid ball joint which decided it had finally had it, once we got everything put back together. The steering is also dangerously out of alignment. Seriously, I'm thinking I've got double digits before the tires die at this rate. Also, since I haven't installed the fan yet, you better believe it was a harrowing drive back home in light traffic.
Align it yourself. It's really easy to do and there's plenty of walk throughs here and elsewhere on the interwebs. It might not actually be out of alignment. They shouldn't have had to disconnect anything with the tie rod to get the steering box changed. The draglink tie rod end disconnects from the pitman before you pull the pitman from the box to put it on the new box, but that would only mess with the centering of the steering wheel, not the actual alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Poor baby. I was banned at the pressure wash after this.
I was almost banned from the wash by my house. The owner was there when I was washing my ZJ after a little excursion that left it similar to your pic. We ended up coming to an agreement. Basically, as long as I spend more money and clean the stall out afterwards, he doesn't care. I'm okay with doing that to keep his wash clean. I've spent maybe $16 or $17 worth of quarters when my ZJ's been really muddy. I don't try to make it look clean, I just try to get the mud off.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #24954
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Align it yourself. It's really easy to do and there's plenty of walk throughs here and elsewhere on the interwebs. It might not actually be out of alignment. They shouldn't have had to disconnect anything with the tie rod to get the steering box changed. The draglink tie rod end disconnects from the pitman before you pull the pitman from the box to put it on the new box, but that would only mess with the centering of the steering wheel, not the actual alignment.
It needs a new upper tie rod end so I'm gonna have to get it in by hand anyway, but I would really like it everything was fixed proper at this point. And I can't figure out in my head, somehow, how this caster adjustment is gonna work.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #24955
Rockbasses
1998 ZJ 

Bought and returned front brake stuff....they look fine after a closer inspection.

Found rear sway bar link broken...bought the parts for repair.
Rockbasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #24956
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

trimmed the hood and installed the durango air hat

970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #24957
loodi

cleaned the IAC valve. idles much smoother now. thinking of getting the whole throttle body out now to get that cleaned too....
loodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #24958
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Made her watch.... It's not cheating if its an open relationship, is it? :c
image-3228206981.jpg

Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #24959
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Gave ol' Betty her 3month detail.
image.jpg  
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #24960
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

One more
image.jpg  
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.