Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#33,021 ·
#33,022 ·
Took apart my Niner e-fan, thinking maybe I could make it work again.
Cleaned it up and discovered that 3 out of 4 low speed brushes were seized as well as 2 of the high speed brushes.
Cleaned the whole mess with electric motor cleaner and freed up the brushes so they make contact with the commutator.
Lubed the bushings, lined everything up properly, put it back together and crossed my fingers.....
Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Bupkus.:drool::drool:

Looks like I'll be throwing down $100 at O'Reilly for a VDO #PM9069 fan motor.
Along with $137 for a reman 136A alternator, since both the Niner fan and the alternator got deep-sixed in goopy mud on our club's last wheeling trip, and both are feeling it's wrath.:(

I've never been a fan of mud, and my wallet is the reason why...:laugh:
This is why I'd rather flex and climb stuff!:2thumbsup:

#33,023 ·
I think the low-pinion D30 from the late XJ is a direct swap, but I haven't really looked into D30s too much. You know, what with all the XJs snapping their D30 shafts.

Also do make sure it's got the same gears as your axle, regardless. The axle may bolt in just fine, but it won't work at all if it's geared differently.
The high pinion D30 from an XJ is also a direct swap as long as it's a non vacuum disconnect axle.

On topic, I researched the work involved with changing my condenser. It looks pretty easy.

#33,026 ·
Abandoned it for a business trip to north carolina.

But I tossed all the pics on my laptop so I can update the build thread and hopefully clear my backlog.

#33,027 ·
Painted the claiding black/plistidipped my tj wheels/ and tinted my tail lights, installed my subs from my yj into it, also picked up and install a bb I got from the jy for 4 bucks haha now it's time for 31s!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

#33,028 ·
Took her wheeling yesterday. Slid down a hill my open diffs couldnt quite beat. Hit a tree. Little trail rash on the rear drivers fender and dented in the rear gate. Also. Ripped the rear bumper off. I think its time for some lockers.

#33,029 ·
SchizophrenicMC said:
I think the low-pinion D30 from the late XJ is a direct swap, but I haven't really looked into D30s too much. You know, what with all the XJs snapping their D30 shafts. Also do make sure it's got the same gears as your axle, regardless. The axle may bolt in just fine, but it won't work at all if it's geared differently.
The guy said its a 3.73 and low pinion so that's alright. It has a vac loc thing. Neat?

On topic:

I checked the oil in the front diff to find it was gray and foamy so that was bad. May have gotten some water in there, I dunno. I had a bit over a quart of gear oil so went ahead and changed it. Maybe that will help with the noises. It can't hurt anyway.

Last week when I got my 242, I paid the kid $50 to pull the carpet out in one piece as well. Finally got around to cleaning it. With the exception of some purple stain in the back right, I think it will cleanup okay. I was about halfway done with the passenger side when I took a pic.

Attachments

#33,030 ·
The guy said its a 3.73 and low pinion so that's alright. It has a vac loc thing. Neat?
The vacuum lock is a vacuum disconnect for the front axle. It's similar to what Chevy's do. In 2 wheel drive, the front axle disconnects to allow for better mileage. It's not technically a live axle like in our ZJs. I don't know what you gotta do to actually make that work for a live axle vehicle like a newer XJ or a ZJ. I'm sure someone has done it though. Also, if it's a vacuum actuated axle, I believe it is a high pinion, not a low pinion. If I recall correctly, the only XJs that got the low pinion 30 were 2000s and 2001s. They stopped with the vacuum disconnect axle sometime in the early 90s.

#33,031 ·
If I'm right, the HPD30 has the axle input 3" higher?
I'd imagine you could run a soft line and tap your vacuum lines to fix it, but you'd have to plan out the routing pretty well so it won't pinch and catch when offroading

#33,033 ·
Most people do not bother with the vacuum-disconnect crap, the two piece axle design is much weaker than a regular d30 axle. Most just buy the block off plate and run non-disconnect axle shafts.

#33,034 ·
The vacuum lock is a vacuum disconnect for the front axle. It's similar to what Chevy's do. In 2 wheel drive, the front axle disconnects to allow for better mileage. It's not technically a live axle like in our ZJs. I don't know what you gotta do to actually make that work for a live axle vehicle like a newer XJ or a ZJ. I'm sure someone has done it though. Also, if it's a vacuum actuated axle, I believe it is a high pinion, not a low pinion. If I recall correctly, the only XJs that got the low pinion 30 were 2000s and 2001s. They stopped with the vacuum disconnect axle sometime in the early 90s.
Correct. 92 was the last year of vac disco axles for XJ / YJs, IIRC.

The vac disconnect setup is still a live axle, it just has a 2 piece shaft on one side to allow the disconnect to work. It can be disabled and a 1 piece shaft used to make it act like a regular D30.

#33,037 ·
Dropped off my driveshaft to get fixed. I have 0.042" runout by the double cardan end, it looks like they welded the tube off center or at an angle. Also the driveline tech I'm using now told me that its way too small diameter of tube for a rear ds as long as I have.
They will be retubing it with larger tube and making sure its golden. I feel better bout this place.

I also got my a/c fixed finally. Replaced the cycling switch, put it under a vacuum and charged it. First time feeling cool air thru the vents in the summer on this rig. It should hold, held 28-29psi under vac for 15 min and still had about 1/3 to 1/2 of the freon still in it when I hooked my machine up.

#33,039 ·
what I did today

I've been looking at ZJs for quite some time with the big tires, front grills, and some mean looking lift kits. Although my car is 100% stock I am planning to change that. Today I took my front two doors off and man is it fun. The only issue I had was the dome lights that are operated by the door jams. Tape wouldn't hold so I popped the panel of the fuse box near the passenger floor and took out the courtesy lamp fuse which I believe is # 16. I highly recommend doing this to your zj as it turns heads and makes people smile. Was also wondering if I should get tires or a lift first. Budget is 250-750 please

Attachments

#33,040 ·
Ordered two of each of these nifty little things...