Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#32,701 ·
I've found that with my 255/65R16s on 16x8s, the fronts wear best, sit best and behave best around 44 - 46 psi, the rears around 33 - 34 (more if I've got weight in the back). More than that in the rear and they start to wear towards the center and have less grip. I originally had the fronts around 38 - 40, they were fine, but they seem better with more pressure.

#32,702 ·
I've found that with my 255/65R16s on 16x8s, the fronts wear best, sit best and behave best around 44 - 46 psi, the rears around 33 - 34 (more if I've got weight in the back). More than that in the rear and they start to wear towards the center and have less grip. I originally had the fronts around 38 - 40, they were fine, but they seem better with more pressure.
I have them at 35 all the way around. I gotta get a bunch of tool boxes out of the back before I "test" them out and see how I like them.

#32,703 ·
Got the rear pass. side door lock fixed. Broken wire in the boot. Also had a broken speaker wire. Fixed that as well, but I doubt it will fix my speaker issues. Only the tweeters work. Those are on the bottom of my to-do list though.
Well, fixing that speaker wire did fix my speaker issues. I guess it completed the circuit to make them all work. Rear driver side is still inop, but it's probably the speaker itself, not wiring. They're still on the bottom of my list, but I will eventually upgrade them since they're stock.

Sent from...wait, where am I?

#32,706 ·
I glued the headliner back up in the Niner, set up the head unit, and put it through its paces. Definitely just a bad injector. More concerning are the facts that the check engine light has turned off, and the A/C doesn't work. I think the a/c is just overfilled and the pressure switch is cycling the clutch off when high-side pressure starts to rise.

I also let my sister try to learn to drive in it. Kinda sad she's 18 and graduates tomorrow, but she literally didn't know which pedal was gas or brake this morning. And dad wants me to teach her to drive the Saturn when we get it running. She couldn't handle 2 pedals, I don't think she's ready for 3.

#32,707 ·
I glued the headliner back up in the Niner, set up the head unit, and put it through its paces. Definitely just a bad injector. More concerning are the facts that the check engine light has turned off, and the A/C doesn't work. I think the a/c is just overfilled and the pressure switch is cycling the clutch off when high-side pressure starts to rise.

I also let my sister try to learn to drive in it. Kinda sad she's 18 and graduates tomorrow, but she literally didn't know which pedal was gas or brake this morning. And dad wants me to teach her to drive the Saturn when we get it running. She couldn't handle 2 pedals, I don't think she's ready for 3.
If it's got a bad injector, stop driving it until you swap it out. If it's spraying some fuel, but not enough to light off, it'll just wash the oil off the cylinder wall on that one and chew up the rings. The unburned fuel blowing into the exhaust can also cause a cat converter meltdown.

As far as A/C, being undercharged can cause the same symptoms, only it would be cutting out due to the low side pressure being too low.

#32,708 ·
Realized I need new cross rails on the roof.. Put six 1x8x10s and strapped them down after hitting up Lowes. I didn't even tighten it down that much. I thought I snapped the one end of the factory cross rail, it buckled down towards the roof a good 1 1/2".. I thought they were supposed to be able to actually hold(granted not safely) a good 500 lbs.. i put maybe 80 lbs of pressure on them >_< Looks like I'll be getting some thule rails or something in the near future, cause I actually haul junk around with mine. Side note, i may try running the jeep without an aux trans cooler and check the temps off it, see if it can handle towing 2k lbs without one. I certainly won't go any higher tho

#32,709 ·
Just replaced my JKS adjustable track bar with the IRO double sheer. Good god what an improvement. Steering tightened up a bit and the front end doesn't clunk at all!

#32,710 ·
Got my KOR rad support on, trimmed the bumper a ton. I gotta say it came out a lot better than I thought it would. Also picked up a set of Wrangler Authority's so I'll finally have matching tires... when I get them mounted in a few days. Also **** cam bolts.

#32,712 ·
Got my KOR rad support on, trimmed the bumper a ton. I gotta say it came out a lot better than I thought it would. Also picked up a set of Wrangler Authority's so I'll finally have matching tires... when I get them mounted in a few days. Also **** cam bolts.
got a pic of the trimmed bumper with rad support? I plan on doing this soon too.

today I got halfway through the plenum fix and then broke the pcv valve and it fell into the valve cover. tomorrow is another day.

#32,713 ·
got a pic of the trimmed bumper with rad support? I plan on doing this soon too.
As a matter of fact, when I stopped at a trailhead earlier I couldn't help but snap a pic while I was looking at it.

All I did was take a sharpie along the bottom of the lower seam in the cover and brought that line across the vertical slots and cut them accordingly at the top. Used a dremel, then sanded the cut with 80 grit to clean it up. Looks great, can't even tell it's been chopped.

#32,715 ·
If it's got a bad injector, stop driving it until you swap it out. If it's spraying some fuel, but not enough to light off, it'll just wash the oil off the cylinder wall on that one and chew up the rings. The unburned fuel blowing into the exhaust can also cause a cat converter meltdown.

As far as A/C, being undercharged can cause the same symptoms, only it would be cutting out due to the low side pressure being too low.
I've been driving it to work out kinks, bugs, and what have you. It's gone about 30 miles in my care. My dad's decided it's cursed or something and doesn't want to drive it. And, frankly, I prefer driving my Orvis. Plus the Niner isn't street legal at the moment, due to not having it on the insurance, and it being an Oklahoma vehicle.

Point is we're not driving it much. Also, the injector appears to either not be firing at all, or it's stuck open. The fact that it runs well at WOT and high throttle supports the latter, but I try not to assume things are that easy.

As for the A/C, I was able to get my gauge on it. Low side pressure is way too high. Overcharged system.

I told my dad to drive it while I was at work, so he could avoid the broken-*** Chevy. He texted me saying it wouldn't start or run because it was out of gas. Strange, I left a gallon in the tank when I pulled into the driveway after test driving. Also I haven't had any problems starting it today. In any case, I put $20 worth of high-octane into it. My last $20. Still runs fine, considering.

#32,716 ·
Probably going to swap it for the biggest Magnaflow I can stuff under there (looking like a 12589)
That's what I have. It's tight, but fits well. You'll have to adjust it via the tailpipe. I'd clamp it before welding it, just to get the adjustment right.