What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1621 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #24301
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Got my 4WD linkages rebuilt and drilled. Didn't like my work from this weekend. So I brought them to work to use some of the good tools they have here. Almost ready. Now just need to weld the extended bracket to the handle cylinder.

Sent from my GS3 using JeepForum

EndIsNear is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #24302
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Godforsaken libtard Maryland. Just failed vehicle inspection for, get this, "oversized tires". I have 245/75-16's. Time to find another shop and waste more money.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #24303
noodles5124

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Godforsaken libtard Maryland. Just failed vehicle inspection for, get this, "oversized tires". I have 245/75-16's. Time to find another shop and waste more money.
Wtf?
noodles5124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #24304
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles5124 View Post
Wtf?
Just got back from the other shop and he looked up the law. It states that tires can't be more than 2 sizes larger than stock which mine are right around two sized. So that part is fine. But the law also states that if you have to alter the height of a vehicle to get the tires to fit without running then it's illegal even if the tires are within the limits. I know I can fit 245/75's on stock height. I only added the BB for off road room while disconnected.

He said to take it bak to the place I had it inspected and tell him that and see if he lets me slide. I will not take it back to that shop because they told me two hours and it ended being 4.5 with no phone call. I just went down there after I called the girl and she said she would call me back in 20 and she didn't so I was pissed after that. We didn't leave on good terms.

I told the new shop that and he said that if I take the pucks out and bring it back they will clear me if it doesn't rub. He also said that the other shop may have called the state troopers on me for arguing with them and that they may be on the look out taking pictures and crap so he is just covering his side if that's the case.

So now I have to take apart my entire suspension for a cheap *** BB then put it all back. Thinking about adding some debt to the CC and getting some OME coils.

Big question, does anyone know if I will damage the Bilstein shocks riding them carefully at stock height? I should ask Kolak that really. I know they are longer than stock at 24" extended.

My advice, don't move to Maryland unless you love B.S.
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #24305
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
My advice, don't move to Maryland unless you love B.S.
True that. I moved to VA as soon as I could. How do you like getting taxed for rain?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #24306
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
True that. I moved to VA as soon as I could. How do you like getting taxed for rain?

Jesus H. Christ
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #24307
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Jesus H. Christ
So glad I live in MN now, land of no vehicle inspections (just a minimum bumper height and a stupid exhaust law that says OEM replacement only).
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #24308
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
So glad I live in MN now, land of no vehicle inspections (just a minimum bumper height and a stupid exhaust law that says OEM replacement only).
I have never lived where I had any of this crap before. I think I might have a seizure if I learn one more idiotic thing about Maryland today.
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #24309
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

How do they compare metric sizes? Stock size is what? 225/70/16 for a 5.9? Well you're only one step bigger on the sidewall ratio. The width is 20 mm more. If they compare that to standard sizes, you're stock with 28.4" tires and you're currently at 30.4". That's only 2 inches bigger which would be 2 standard tire sizes bigger. Go back and educate those fools mathematically.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #24310
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I have never lived where I had any of this crap before. I think I might have a seizure if I learn one more idiotic thing about Maryland today.
I'm just shocked I haven't been pulled over in my Jeep for its glass pack or on my bike for its 4 into 2 system (instead of a $1200+ factory 4 into 4 system).
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #24311
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
How do they compare metric sizes? Stock size is what? 225/70/16 for a 5.9? Well you're only one step bigger on the sidewall ratio. The width is 20 mm more. If they compare that to standard sizes, you're stock with 28.4" tires and you're currently at 30.4". That's only 2 inches bigger which would be 2 standard tire sizes bigger. Go back and educate those fools mathematically.
The first shop and I no longer have a salvageable relationship. The second shop said the tires were fine but the lift is not since Maryland state law says that lifting a vehicle to prevent the tires from contacting the body will not pass inspection even if the tires are within the 2 size legal allowance. I said the tires will fit with no lift. The second shop said we know they will but since you argued with the last shop they may have notified the state trooper just to be pricks. He said take the pucks out and he will sign off on it for free. I understand he is just covering his butt since this state is obviously this effed up.

To make up for it I just ordered OME 2.5" coils. No sense in taking all apart just to put a BB back in.
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #24312
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Do you like guns? My uncle (an ex Baltimore city cop) is going on 6 months waiting for his .38 thanks to Md's mandatory MINIMUM 90 day waiting period to purchase a handgun.

All the handy work of Mr. O'Malley.

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #24313
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

The first shop and I no longer have a salvageable relationship. The second shop said the tires were fine but the lift is not since Maryland state law says that lifting a vehicle to prevent the tires from contacting the body will not pass inspection even if the tires are within the 2 size legal allowance. I said the tires will fit with no lift. The second shop said we know they will but since you argued with the last shop they may have notified the state trooper just to be pricks. He said take the pucks out and he will sign off on it for free. I understand he is just covering his butt since this state is obviously this effed up.

To make up for it I just ordered OME 2.5" coils. No sense in taking all apart just to put a BB back in.
So, what? Nobody in the state is allowed to have a lifted anything?

Or does the lifted vehicle just have to have stock sized tires on it?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #24314
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
So, what? Nobody in the state is allowed to have a lifted anything?

Or does the lifted vehicle just have to have stock sized tires on it?
THat is what I don't understand. I see huge bro dozers all over here. I guess you just need stock crap for the one time inspection then after that you can go nuts. I know the bumper can't be more than 28" from he ground So My impression is that it's up to the interpretation of the police or what kind of mood they are in.

Just like how I got two different interpretations on my inspection. I am trying to find another shop that deals with more 4x4's to see what they say.
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #24315
mercmenace
1998 ZJ 

It never rains here so I was excited it rained and I got to play in the mud.

'98 ZJ 5.9l stock
View my build here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/niner-expedition-build-1551037/
mercmenace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.