Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#32,322 ·
I chewed through a couple of pulleys before I replaced the pump and box. Made me realize how long it had been really bad.
The pump is only 2 years old too. Back then, even with the right tool I ended up with a hairline crack in the pulley installing it, so I bought another and thought I had it, but I guess not. This time I ended up with another hairline crack after installing it, but I had to get it out of the parking lot so I left it.

I'm hoping I can find an aluminum one instead of plastic. If not, maybe a Mopar instead of Dorman.

#32,323 ·
The pump is only 2 years old too. Back then, even with the right tool I ended up with a hairline crack in the pulley installing it, so I bought another and thought I had it, but I guess not. This time I ended up with another hairline crack after installing it, but I had to get it out of the parking lot so I left it.

I'm hoping I can find an aluminum one instead of plastic. If not, maybe a Mopar instead of Dorman.
I think the pulleys from the 93-95 5.2 were aluminum instead of plastic, but they have a different groove setup.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum

#32,326 ·
I rotated the tires, did an oil change, and changed my air filter. I also installed my hitch on my Silverado, with the help of a fellow NWIJ member, so I can tow it down to Redbird Memorial Day weekend rather than driving it the 5.5 hours south to wheel.

#32,333 ·
I've been pretty busy working on the ZJ lately and things are coming along nicely.

IRO rear long arm sub frame is installed:

Cleaned up and painted my beat up rocker panels, painted plastic window trim, TJ fuel bezel, IRO Almost Alloy u-joint axle shafts, charged AC:

5.2 V8 muffler delete (wouldn't fit with IRO sub frame):

#32,334 ·
You dont need a drop pitman arm. It is just a waste of money just like the tcase drop is.

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum[/QUOTE

When I put the Jeep on the hoist and lift it in the air I can watch the tie rod bend down about an inch. because the axle drops down so low. They also said I didnt need extended brake hoses but when its in the air they are pulled tight.

#32,336 ·
Over the past week I put in a new PS pump (the third one. The past two new ones leaked), a new hub bearing and a front passenger half shaft. Turns out I was chewing through hub bearings because the axle nut was loosening slightly over time. The threads on the old stub shaft were basically worn smooth. Got the new shaft in and it should be good.

Put on Sensa-Trac shocks today to replace my aging Reflexes. Took a couple of hours to do on the garage floor with air tools. Whoever decided to put the ABS and all of its lines right in the way of the Driver's Front shock ought to be beaten with the arm of the guy who located the Crankshaft Sensor on these things. :mad:

Just a note on the ride quality, seems to be smoother, but firmer, if that makes sense. Haven't gone over any washboard roads yet to see if the bouncing is gone. I think it was starting to chew up my new Destination LE2s.

Attachments

#32,337 ·
Over the past week I put in a new PS pump (the third one. The past two new ones leaked), a new hub bearing and a front passenger half shaft. Turns out I was chewing through hub bearings because the axle nut was loosening slightly over time. The threads on the old stub shaft were basically worn smooth. Got the new shaft in and it should be good.

Put on Sensa-Trac shocks today to replace my aging Reflexes. Took a couple of hours to do on the garage floor with air tools. Whoever decided to put the ABS and all of its lines right in the way of the Driver's Front shock ought to be beaten with the arm of the guy who located the Crankshaft Sensor on these things. :mad:

Just a note on the ride quality, seems to be smoother, but firmer, if that makes sense. Haven't gone over any washboard roads yet to see if the bouncing is gone. I think it was starting to chew up my new Destination LE2s.
That top nut on the driver side shock can be a pain. What I found works really well is either something like the Kobalt or Craftsman pass-through socket set or a ratcheting wrench. You only get a small range of motion with either, but it's better than fighting with it any other way.

#32,338 ·
Did a quick trip up to summit racing to get parts for the green one and the shop managers niner. Made it there in only four hours. Had everything except the M1 intake she had ordered.

#32,339 ·
That top nut on the driver side shock can be a pain. What I found works really well is either something like the Kobalt or Craftsman pass-through socket set or a ratcheting wrench. You only get a small range of motion with either, but it's better than fighting with it any other way.
PB Blaster and a ratcheting wrench got me through it. Took the intake hose and top of the air box off to get room to work.

#32,340 ·
That thing was the bane of my existence for the first 8 months of owning my niner. The nut was "gone", so the shock rattled around with every bump. Trying to fit nuts in there was terrible... Anyway, turns out the PO had lost the metal cap that goes between the nut and rubber bushing, and in all of his infinite wisdom, put the nut on without the cap. This and the incredible amount of torque he apparently used to secure the nut made the nut bury itself into the bushing. :rantscream: So when I went to install my Bilstein's, guess what I found? The nut buried in the bushing. Surprise! I lost a little faith in humanity that day.