Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#32,242 ·
Stupid ****ing intake manifold designed by a ****ing.

Yeh, it's getting there.
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Bumper

#32,243 ·
Never, ever use a chain.
Normally I agree but having a chain and prepping to deal with backlash is better than having nothing at all and being stranded. If done right, it can be prevented, or at least limited sharply, as far as worst case damage and potential injuried.

#32,244 ·
Ive sorta wondered how people felt about chains. Now how about using chains to say go betweem front tow hooks in order to have a pull point in the center of the vehicle?
I've done plenty of angles pulls using only one front tow hook. With the factory backing plates, they're beefy. You don't need to tie them together.

Normally I agree but having a chain and prepping to deal with backlash is better than having nothing at all and being stranded. If done right, it can be prevented, or at least limited sharply, as far as worst case damage and potential injuried.
Realistically, you think he ever used it properly?

#32,245 ·
Never, ever use a chain.
It was used for pulling things across pavement and from taut, with loads WELL below the weight rating. Most notably, it towed my 240SX home from about a mile away, where it became clear that the previous owner hadn't failed to seat the rings, he'd failed to use the right bearings. I kept it in the Jeep simply so it wouldn't take up space in the garage.

I have an ARB 17,000lb tow strap for offroad use. As yet I have yet to need to even unbundle it.

#32,246 ·
My Laredo had my tow chain and folding chocks under the seats, with the factory toolkit, and occasionally my 18' jumper cables. But it was cramped as hell even with just that stuff.

The Orvis is getting its amplifier and crossovers under the driver-side rear seat, and keeping the factory toolkit where it goes. I do want to get a fire extinguisher, but I haven't determined where I'll put it just yet. I might put it under the seats, or I might put it in the tire cover's pouch.
My philosophy on fire extinguishers is that if you can't reach it from the drivers seat you may as well not even have it.

#32,247 ·
Finally checked and changed my transfer case fluid...it was a dull brown/orange color and smelled faintly like axle grease. Anybody know what dex/merc fluid looks/smells like? supposedly the fluid was changed a year ago but it was by a shop...I just put ATF+4 in.

#32,248 ·
Ok, I'm totally lost when it comes to spark plugs.

I'm putting in new champions that everyone recommends and they're gapped per the fsm to .035. I pulled out the old plugs, which are not that old, NGK (my mechanics brand) gapped to .045.

Does the different brand make the difference in gap? How would that affect my engine?

#32,249 ·
It shouldnt matter between brands. It should be gapped at what the fsm says otherwise it can cause misfires and rough idle. The only time yoh should change the gap is if you are building an engine and you are testing different plugs, gaps, and heat ranges

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum

#32,250 ·
My philosophy on fire extinguishers is that if you can't reach it from the drivers seat you may as well not even have it.
I tend to agree, but I haven't yet come up with a mounting solution that doesn't leave the extinguisher blatantly out in the way and a potential projectile itself. Also I'm short, so I don't have much reach in the first place.

#32,251 ·
I tend to agree, but I haven't yet come up with a mounting solution that doesn't leave the extinguisher blatantly out in the way and a potential projectile itself. Also I'm short, so I don't have much reach in the first place.

?

#32,252 ·
It was used for pulling things across pavement and from taut, with loads WELL below the weight rating. Most notably, it towed my 240SX home from about a mile away, where it became clear that the previous owner hadn't failed to seat the rings, he'd failed to use the right bearings. I kept it in the Jeep simply so it wouldn't take up space in the garage.

I have an ARB 17,000lb tow strap for offroad use. As yet I have yet to need to even unbundle it.
You should be using a recovery strap, not a tow strap.

Stupid ****ing intake manifold designed by a ****ing.

Yeh, it's getting there.
View attachment 1335241
That reminds me of when I did mine. I felt pretty good about that job after I accomplished it.

#32,255 ·
SchizophrenicMC said:
If it all fits, go for it. I just don't know what all you keep down there.
A lot..

Automotive tire Product Automotive design Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory

I keep my 54" jack, snatch block, some 3/4" d rings, a 7/8" d ring, 9" drop receiver with ball, 3/4" d ring receiver, a 6' strap and a 20' one, the winch controller, the hi lift bumper lift mate, some gloves and a shovel under my seats. The only thing that sucks is pulling any of it out and having to piece it back together.

And then between the rear seat and the tire (a 33 in the stock location), I've got a wheel chock, a portable jump starter, a tire iron and a first aid kit.

Pack ratting is where it's at.

#32,256 ·
SchizophrenicMC said:
My Laredo had my tow chain and folding chocks under the seats, with the factory toolkit, and occasionally my 18' jumper cables. But it was cramped as hell even with just that stuff.

The Orvis is getting its amplifier and crossovers under the driver-side rear seat, and keeping the factory toolkit where it goes. I do want to get a fire extinguisher, but I haven't determined where I'll put it just yet. I might put it under the seats, or I might put it in the tire cover's pouch.
I'm partial to mounting it in the rear cargo nook on the passenger side, unless you use that area for something else. I pulled the net material out and have always thought it looked super clean.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle

Ignore the other crap.

#32,257 ·
You should be using a recovery strap, not a tow strap.

That reminds me of when I did mine. I felt pretty good about that job after I accomplished it.
"Tow strap" "Recovery strap" I just can't get past your pedantic semantics. Obviously if it's made by ARB and rated to 17,000lbs it's a recovery strap used for unsticking stuck XJs.

EDIT:

kg6, I wouldn't be able to reach the extinguisher from that position. I am a very short dude.

#32,258 ·
I'm partial to mounting it in the rear cargo nook on the passenger side, unless you use that area for something else. I pulled the net material out and have always thought it looked super clean.

Ignore the other crap.
Quick question, where'd you pick up the Mag light mounts?

#32,259 ·
Quick question, where'd you pick up the Mag light mounts?
Amazon bro! They have almost everything.

I prefer to have the fire extinguisher within arms reach. Doesn't do a lot of good if you have to run around to the back while there is a fire to get it. My Maglight is within reach as well in case a skull needs to be re decorated. Pretty sad that's all you have to protect yourself with here because the gun laws suck.