What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1597 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #23941
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B93

My issue is that I can't get the nuts to budge and there's not enough clearance for me to get much leverage on the ratchet they do look quite easy to change.

edit: ahhh **** it, gonna head out and try again. Maybe they loosened themselves a bit.

edit2: got the nuts off on the bottom... but that top one on the driver's side seems to be seized at a certain point. I managed to break it loose, twisting the shock by hand and it was working until about 4 or 5 threads from the top. Now I can't get it to budge and I'm pissed.
It's probably caked with dirt move the nut back to tighten and either put some lubricant on it or clean it as well as you can

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #23942
EndIsNear
1993 ZJ 

Put a little gas in her, washed her, and redid the outside trim with a trim restore. Gathering parts to redo the 4WD shift linkage...

Sent from my GS3 using JeepForum
EndIsNear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #23943
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Cleaned the whole thing out. Gonna load it full o campin goodies and go!!!

We're going camping for 8 days. Leaving around noon-ish and checking in at 3:00 SHARP!!!

THEN.....

My forecast for the next 8 days is:A high probability of beer drinking mixed in with good food.... and more beer drinking
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #23944
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Previous owner(s) dumped a bunch of cheap perfume in the console of my niner. Every time I opened it up I could taste cheap hookers. Finally got around to pulling it out and discovered a treasure trove of coins, pens, business cards, and candy! Luck me. So now I need to pull the seats and the carpet to clean the rest of the crap out. No biggie, I was planning on pulling the carpet anyways. While I was taking everything apart I removed all the "wood" trim on the dash so I can start puling the stereo head unit (the display flickers), and the head light switch (all the interior lights flicker when headlights are on) to clean and resolder contacts. While I'm at it...Might as well pull the VIC and resolder the coolant sensor contact point. Also need to remove steering wheel cover to clean it without blowing the horn. I don't want to guess as to what is on there.

Also...Bought a lawnmower pull start replacement handle with cord. Plan is to make a decently neat looking back up to open the rear hatch next time the latch sticks

Bought a wire wheel for getting rid of all the rust. Still need primer.

To do: drop the headliner to replace sunroof seal and clean it up. It's a little slow. And while the headliner is down....
remove adn rattle can the roof rack. And while that's off....
roll on bedliner to the roof. No one sees it but it's scratched up and ugly up there. I don't want rust.

Glad I have all next week off!!
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #23945
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Fixed the bad solder joint on the VIC yesterday, and so far, no more coolant sensor bad message. Today, I determined that the rear wiper motor is definitely shot (stopped working yesterday) and ordered up a replacement.

Tomorrow, I might pull the headlight switch and clean up / resolder the connections in there (the auto headlights freak out occasionally and blink). I'm definitely going to need to put gas in it, and I'll probably fix the bad antenna connection for the CB that I found yesterday.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #23946
hondakilla98
1998 ZJ 

Put in leveling spacers, now I'm sitting at 4" of lift front and back.

Bought a 242 from a 98 zj yesterday.
5.9 Limited, RE 4" lift, RE FTB, JK take offs w/ 255/75/17 BFG MT's, 1.25" wheel adapters, ARB Bumper, Superwinch LP10000, K&N intake, Flowmaster, custom JL & Focal stereo, 20% tint, KOR roof mount tire carrier, JCR sliders, cobra 75 wx st
hondakilla98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #23947
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondakilla98 View Post
Put in leveling spacers, now I'm sitting at 4" of lift front and back.
Now you can run over those annoying Hondas with there exhausts and spoilers and they sound like flies gah
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #23948
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Also...Bought a lawnmower pull start replacement handle with cord. Plan is to make a decently neat looking back up to open the rear hatch next time the latch sticks
Best idea. I installed attached some cord to the mechanism and ran it out of the top of the hatch panel. It works quite well.

On topic... I plan on checking some of the solder on the headlight controls... fog lights stopped working. I'm also having a problem with "Rear Lamp Failure" so i'll tackle that as well.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #23949
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Just watched it sitting in the driveway again. Hadn't moved since Thursday when I burnt the piss out of my hand. Gotta love 3rd degree burns...
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #23950
Rockbasses
1998 ZJ 

Change the oil, removed broken horn, checked brakes(need )
Undercoat some the underbody, tested under under coat on bottom of rear bumper...

1st post.
Rockbasses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #23951
zjforlife
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColee

Best idea. I installed attached some cord to the mechanism and ran it out of the top of the hatch panel. It works quite well.

On topic... I plan on checking some of the solder on the headlight controls... fog lights stopped working. I'm also having a problem with "Rear Lamp Failure" so i'll tackle that as well.
I have that same problem I took my tail lights off two weeks ago to black them out in class the other day and it has been doing it since then let me know how you fix it it's so annoying seeing rear lamp failure all the time lol
zjforlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #23952
Glued2aPost
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjforlife View Post
I have that same problem I took my tail lights off two weeks ago to black them out in class the other day and it has been doing it since then let me know how you fix it it's so annoying seeing rear lamp failure all the time lol
In two ZJs the real lamp failure has always been a failure of one of the 12 or so rear lamps. 12?! Yes, twelve, I think. Maybe 10. 3 or 4 (depending on year) in the 3rd brake light and blinker, side marker, reverse and for some reason I feel there is at least one more in each tail light. Maybe I'm crazy.

The third brake light often seems to be the culprit. Go easy on the bulb grease, too much sets off the rear lamp failure as well.

OT: Removed the entire lower dash and cleaned up the panels. There should be an entire thread about the crap you've found from previous owners.

Touched up the solder points in the VIC as well as the headlight switch.

NOW: watching "Triassic Attack" because the sheriff drives a ZJ (96 laredo I think...) into living dinosaur fossils. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQGgt6tYfPM

To Do later today: Replace front lower control arms and maybe pull the front drive shaft. I'm tired of the tire scrub and don't have the money for a new VC. Maybe a 242 swap?
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #23953
LoveHate
1995 ZJ 

did the tj fuel bezel mod with a locking cap, was quite easy.
tj-mod.jpg   my-zj.jpg  
Built Not Bought #693
LoveHate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #23954
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHate
did the tj fuel bezel mod with a locking cap, was quite easy.
Are those the bushwacker fenders?
If so how much more clearance did they give you?
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #23955
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Trimmed the fenders, now patiently waiting for my 33s to come in by tues.
image-67455064.jpg

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.