What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1571 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #23551
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You want adjustable.

WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #23552
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I was talking about the DC controller for it. I already bought a brand new fan for $90 something rather than getting a JY fan.
RIGHT.
the Volvo relay and BMW thermoswitch will power your brand new fan. unless I am missing something ...which... wouldn't surprise me
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #23553
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Technically it was today... 1230 a.m. finished my new headliner then started on mocking up an air "inlet" to work with my home made CAI that I am piecing together. I am putting it where the old plastic one was and should improve on it.
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #23554
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You want adjustable.
Can I ask why? Just curious... personally the fixed ones seem like they would be beefier to me so I was kinda leaning towards those but if the adjustables are the way to go ill definitely look more into those.

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #23555
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You want adjustable.
This, more than likely. I got away with just adjustable uppers in the rear. the rest of mine are fixed and my pinion angles are good and I have no vibes. I did before I swapped the rears for adjustables though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTan View Post
RIGHT.
the Volvo relay and BMW thermoswitch will power your brand new fan. unless I am missing something ...which... wouldn't surprise me
Are you saying I can get away with just the Volvo relay and the BMW switch along with my fan? I gathered from your posts that I'd also need that DC controller. The DC controller is $100 I don't want to spend.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #23556
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
Can I ask why? Just curious... personally the fixed ones seem like they would be beefier to me so I was kinda leaning towards those but if the adjustables are the way to go ill definitely look more into those.
so you can adjust them......adjustable arms will allow you to move the axle forward or back in the wheel well a well as set up your pinion angles to where you want/need them
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #23557
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

-New rear wheel bearings & seals
-New front left shaft
-New U-Joints front & rear driveshafts
-New 3 inch Kolak exhaust with new O2 sensors
-New Moab Rubicon rims installed with my old KM2's that have sat for 3 years
-New Bilstein 5100 shocks installed
-New CB receiver hanger installed

It's been a long last 3 days.

Motorcycle Repair in Denverhttp://www.wellsmoto.com
kwellzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #23558
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post

so you can adjust them......adjustable arms will allow you to move the axle forward or back in the wheel well a well as set up your pinion angles to where you want/need them
I could see the advantage of being able to get a little more dialed in with pinion angles and what not but won't the longer fixed ones get you where you want/need to be too though? I would have to look again but I believe IRO says the fixed ones are good up to 6 inches of lift. The only lift I've done in the past was on an 82 toyota pickup so all I really had to do was new leaf springs, longer shocks, extend the brake lines and front ds and she was ready for wheelin so all this extra stuff I gotta do with the zj is completely new to me and I'm still learning.

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #23559
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD View Post
I could see the advantage of being able to get a little more dialed in with pinion angles and what not but won't the longer fixed ones get you where you want/need to be too though? I would have to look again but I believe IRO says the fixed ones are good up to 6 inches of lift. The only lift I've done in the past was on an 82 toyota pickup so all I really had to do was new leaf springs, longer shocks, extend the brake lines and front ds and she was ready for wheelin so all this extra stuff I gotta do with the zj is completely new to me and I'm still learning.
yes, fixed arms will work. but like I said your going to want to be able to make adjustments. with fixed arms you are stuck with what you get. No way to adjsut your angles or axle position. The last thing you really want is to drop money on fixed arms just to find out it gave you a crap pinion angle. now youll be stuck with vibes and no way to adjust it........JMO
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #23560
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post

yes, fixed arms will work. but like I said your going to want to be able to make adjustments. with fixed arms you are stuck with what you get. No way to adjsut your angles or axle position. The last thing you really want is to drop money on fixed arms just to find out it gave you a crap pinion angle. now youll be stuck with vibes and no way to adjust it........JMO
Makes sense. I guess if they made the fixed arms specifically for the 4.5 inch lift that could potentially be the way to go, but the adjustables do make more sense since the fixed are made for a range of lifts. Thanks for the info, and sorry if this was a stupid question I just like to know as much info about the stuff I'm dropping my hard earned loot on lol.

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #23561
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
This, more than likely. I got away with just adjustable uppers in the rear. the rest of mine are fixed and my pinion angles are good and I have no vibes. I did before I swapped the rears for adjustables though.

Are you saying I can get away with just the Volvo relay and the BMW switch along with my fan? I gathered from your posts that I'd also need that DC controller. The DC controller is $100 I don't want to spend.
will need a 36mm water temp adapter to splice into your upper radiator hose and fasten the BMW Thermoswitch. The Thermoswitch sends a signal to the Volvo relay (low @ 195 degrees, high @ 205 degrees) and the volvo relay sends power to the fan according to the thermoswitch signal. The Volvo relay has 5 wires: Power, High speed signal, low speed signal, high speed power output, low speed power output. real simple budget system.
I ran a 40a inline fuse holder from the positive battery to a 40a relay prior to the volvo relay so the fan will only run while the key is turned on.
Let me know if you have any questions. besides the taurus fan I spent:
$8-10 for the volvo relay & bmw thermoswitch harness/pigtail
$22 for the brand new bmw thermoswitch
$10 for the water temp adapter from ebay (36mm for the 5.2 v8)
$5 for a 40a 5 pin relay
$3 for a 40a inline fuse holder.
All automatic in a compact setup.
180 tstat, low kicks on @ 195, high @ 205.
Sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. But check out the attached threads I posted on my thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...relay-1526807/
3.jpg   new-image.jpg  
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #23562
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Man... looks like I have some research to do before I go ahead and get my fan installed. I ordered the relays/solenoids needed wire it up too. What year/model Volvo and BMW are these from?
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #23563
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Man... looks like I have some research to do before I go ahead and get my fan installed. I ordered the relays/solenoids needed wire it up too. What year/model Volvo and BMW are these from?
Indeed!
it really is a solid setup and didn't cost an arm & leg. read through the threads I posted in my thread.
they have model #'s and all the vital info. Walking through the junkyard... if the volvo has an electric fan, it has the relay. look behind the passenger side headlight. mostly the 740's and 740 wagons too. Any bmw thermoswitch pigtail/plug harness will work. The thermoswitch part # is listed on the threads as well

Do your research and feel free to ask any questions along the way
good luck man
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #23564
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTan View Post
Indeed!
it really is a solid setup and didn't cost an arm & leg. read through the threads I posted in my thread.
they have model #'s and all the vital info. Walking through the junkyard... if the volvo has an electric fan, it has the relay. look behind the passenger side headlight. mostly the 740's and 740 wagons too. Any bmw thermoswitch pigtail/plug harness will work. The thermoswitch part # is listed on the threads as well

Do your research and feel free to ask any questions along the way
good luck man
Thanks!
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #23565
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Went and got an alignment this afternoon after doing my shocks,control arms, and ball joints

Not enough o's in smooooth to describe the ride now!
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.