Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#31,322 ·
At stock height, I run as much caster as I can without causing pinion angle issues / front driveline vibes, 0 toe or just a hair of toe out and have about an extra 1/2* of negative camber up front from offset ball joints. It follows road crown and such noticeably at times, but on a good road, tracks well enough I can take my hands off the wheel for 15+ seconds at a time and it'll still be going straight.

#31,323 ·
If you have a decent bit of body roll, a lifted ZJ will have somewhat of a passive 4 wheel steer due to the rear suspension geometry. As the body rolls in a turn, the rear end will be steered slightly towards the outside of the turn.
This, mine wanders due to the back in quite often. I attribute it to bad shocks and the lack of rear swaybar

sent from, uh

#31,324 ·
Do you have good shocks?
Bilstein 5100's, not sure on miles as I bought them used here. They seem good, hell of a lot better than the hydros that came with the lift.

I'm going to try and get the alignment checked too. Drives straight for the most part. Maybe I'm expecting too much lol.

#31,326 ·
If you have a decent bit of body roll, a lifted ZJ will have somewhat of a passive 4 wheel steer due to the rear suspension geometry. As the body rolls in a turn, the rear end will be steered slightly towards the outside of the turn.
Now I miss my RX7. They designed passive 4-wheel-steering into the rear end of that car, and somehow it felt just right. I am glad, however, I don't have the active 4-wheel steering in my 240SX.

And all I need for my Jeep is 4-wheel drive thank you.

#31,328 ·
Rain put off my plans to repaint and install my cargo rack, but I did finally get fed up and ordered a new exhaust manifold. Got myself plenty to do with all this warm weather coming.

#31,330 ·
Ordered a new oil pan and gasket, plus rear main seal for the green one.

And ordered ironman4x4 engine and trans mounts for both of em.

#31,332 ·
Well I got my Offroad Led lights in the other day. they measure 4.5"... I installed them Last night but it was too dark to take decent photos, the light was just unbearable for either one of my cell phones.. I thought they looked good. They're super bright too..

#31,333 ·
My toe was almost 0 and it wandered kind of bad. I move the toe in a little at a time until it tracked straight. Kind of a pain remembering what way to turn the stupid sleeve. :D
Lol I had the same problem getting my steering wheel straight. Once I thought it was straight I would make one last adjustment and it'd be crooked again.

#31,334 ·
The splice in the heater hose on the pass side of a V8 ZJ is actually a factory splice. Not sure why it's there, but they all came that way. One of the clamps may be weak though (especially if it's a factory spring clamp, they do wear out eventually).
Yeah, I thought it seemed odd, that's Jeep for ya. I think someone put the worm (?) type clamps on it. I'll double check though and may go ahead and get some better clamps while I have some coolant drained to do the t-stat.

Sent from...wait, where am I?