What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1560 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #23386
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
As crazy as people have been about swapping in 242s, I think the forum majority now says fix the 249. Even though I don't get better gas mileage in 2 wheel drive and the full time isn't quite as good as the 249's full time, I'm glad I swapped in my 242. I like having the option of locking the transfer case in 4 high if needed. Full time, although it's not as good as viscous coupling, still works great in the rain (I'm assuming the snow too although I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet). I'm not convinced strength is a valid argument for the 249 either. Sure, the 249 may be rated for more torque (1800 ft. lb. for 93-95 and 2030 ft. lb. for 96-98 as compared to 1486 ft. lb. for the 242), but in reality they're all rated for GVWs up to 5500 lb. Not to mention, a 5.2 has how much torque? 300 ft. lb. First gear has a ratio of what? 2.740:1. Multiply that out. What do you get? You get a max torque of 822 ft. lb. Even after you take the torque converter into consideration, you're still under the upper limits of the transfer cases.
I quit posting in the ZJ section for 6 months and no one likes 242 swaps anymore? I'd rather have a 242 any day of the week. Cost considerations and everything else too.

A 249 is a good case, however I don't see why you'd spend the same about on fixing an old case as you could for getting a 242 at the JY to replace it with.

__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #23387
MTBlue
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndIsNear View Post
You outta check out the Aeroturbine AT3030. I had it on my Ram 5.9 and its sick. There's a video on YouTube of a 5.9 Durango that sold me on the muffler...

Sent from my GS3 using JeepForum
Honestly, I don't hear much of a difference between my Super 44 and the AT3030... Plus it's more expensive... And there's more crackle in the high RPM's... of which I am not a fan. Not trying to bash Aeroturbine at all or your taste, I just like the sound of my Flowmaster a little more. Again, that's only my opinion; take it as you may

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyst View Post
Followed the lead of a few of yall and put a can and a half of refridgerant in the ac and got it blow some cold air. Compressor sounds like ..ish and gotta keep it on recirculate but works for now. It was 108 with the heat index today. F-that!
I feel like I'm the only ZJ'er on here that hasn't had to recharge their AC yet... Montana summers must be more mild?
__________________
'98 5.9, bad transmission, leaking radiator, tears in the seats, BUT THE WINDOWS ROLL UP!
MTBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #23388
Maine1994ZJ
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phippsburg, Maine
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
As crazy as people have been about swapping in 242s, I think the forum majority now says fix the 249. Even though I don't get better gas mileage in 2 wheel drive and the full time isn't quite as good as the 249's full time, I'm glad I swapped in my 242. I like having the option of locking the transfer case in 4 high if needed. Full time, although it's not as good as viscous coupling, still works great in the rain (I'm assuming the snow too although I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet). I'm not convinced strength is a valid argument for the 249 either. Sure, the 249 may be rated for more torque (1800 ft. lb. for 93-95 and 2030 ft. lb. for 96-98 as compared to 1486 ft. lb. for the 242), but in reality they're all rated for GVWs up to 5500 lb. Not to mention, a 5.2 has how much torque? 300 ft. lb. First gear has a ratio of what? 2.740:1. Multiply that out. What do you get? You get a max torque of 822 ft. lb. Even after you take the torque converter into consideration, you're still under the upper limits of the transfer cases.
Also, doesn't the 249 have a 30/70 torque split as well as having no way to lock the F&R drive shafts together in LO?

I'm swapping a 231 in place of my 249 with a spent VC soon.

I'd rather drive around in 2wd in the snow and engage 4HI when I want it engaged. Rather than when the case thinks I need it engaged.

I've lived my whole life in Maine and grew up driving rear wheel drive rigs in the snow, even before I had a driver's license, so I know how to drive in the snow without 4wd.
I actually prefer to drive in 2wd in the snow, using 4HI only for up hills.

I'll keep the 249 for sure, and probably pick up a VC for it eventually, so if by some chance I do break the 231 in the course of wheeling, I'll have a back-up T-case.
__________________
'93 V8 ZJ Mountain Goat Edition.
Maine1994ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #23389
AnotherRedZj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: fort walton beach, fl
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post


I feel like I'm the only ZJ'er on here that hasn't had to recharge their AC yet... Montana summers must be more mild?
I bet they are! I miss the summers in the mountains. the heat index can jump the temp 20* here, making a nice day a hot muggy mess.
__________________
5.2 crate - fourwheelcustoms 2.25 BB - 31x10.50 BFG at-ko's 249/242 swap - front drive shaft upgrade by driveshaftspecialistincorporated - jcr off-road front bumper - engo 12k lbs winch......
AnotherRedZj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #23390
adavis39
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
I quit posting in the ZJ section for 6 months and no one likes 242 swaps anymore? I'd rather have a 242 any day of the week. Cost considerations and everything else too.

A 249 is a good case, however I don't see why you'd spend the same about on fixing an old case as you could for getting a 242 at the JY to replace it with.
well whats your opinion on rebuilding the 249 (doing it myself so it wont cost too much) for a DD street rig only. It will ultimately be built for speed. It will have no need to lock the front and rear shaft together in LO as it will probably never see LO? I wont really save any gas in 2WD and people will argue that the 249 is betetr than the 242 in Full Time during bad weather situations?
__________________
2002 WJ Limited [B]4.7[/B]: 6" Clayton REALLY long arms....yep, they are longer than yours [B]SOLD : ([/B]
1998 Platinum [B]5.9[/B] DD
2007 WK Overland [B]5.7[/B] wifes DD
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #23391
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
well whats your opinion on rebuilding the 249 (doing it myself so it wont cost too much) for a DD street rig only. It will ultimately be built for speed. It will have no need to lock the front and rear shaft together in LO as it will probably never see LO? I wont really save any gas in 2WD and people will argue that the 249 is betetr than the 242 in Full Time during bad weather situations?
If it's built for speed why would you want an AWD tc? Besides from launches I can't see it benefiting more than a 2wd TC.

Also, a 242 TC around here goes for about 150. A VC by itself goes for about the same online, so I don't know how you think you're saving money.

Like you said, it's completely my opinion and if you take that route you'll still be fine, just voicing my thoughts on the matter.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #23392
adavis39
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
If it's built for speed why would you want an AWD tc? Besides from launches I can't see it benefiting more than a 2wd TC.

Also, a 242 TC around here goes for about 150. A VC by itself goes for about the same online, so I don't know how you think you're saving money.

Like you said, it's completely my opinion and if you take that route you'll still be fine, just voicing my thoughts on the matter.
all opinions welcome...i dont get butthurt over it. Im just so "back and forth" when it comes to my jeeps and mods. I can never decide I may hit the JY this weekend. They have about 9 ZJ's from '95-'98 right now and see if I can find a 242
__________________
2002 WJ Limited [B]4.7[/B]: 6" Clayton REALLY long arms....yep, they are longer than yours [B]SOLD : ([/B]
1998 Platinum [B]5.9[/B] DD
2007 WK Overland [B]5.7[/B] wifes DD
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #23393
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
If it's built for speed why would you want an AWD tc? Besides from launches I can't see it benefiting more than a 2wd TC.

Also, a 242 TC around here goes for about 150. A VC by itself goes for about the same online, so I don't know how you think you're saving money.

Like you said, it's completely my opinion and if you take that route you'll still be fine, just voicing my thoughts on the matter.
96+ 249's are two wheel drive until the rear tires slip. Benefit of changing to a 231 would be weight reduction. There is no benefit with a 242.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #23394
AnotherRedZj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: fort walton beach, fl
Posts: 1,630
When I had my 249, it seemed to distribute power to wheels better then my 242. I'm not an expert in any way shape or form. I loved my 249 on the street, It felt a lot better then the 242 in any gear on take off. But my 242 is bugging me cuz i started getting binding and wheel hop in part time 4 now. Jus like the 249.
__________________
5.2 crate - fourwheelcustoms 2.25 BB - 31x10.50 BFG at-ko's 249/242 swap - front drive shaft upgrade by driveshaftspecialistincorporated - jcr off-road front bumper - engo 12k lbs winch......
AnotherRedZj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #23395
adavis39
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
96+ 249's are two wheel drive until the rear tires slip. Benefit of changing to a 231 would be weight reduction. There is no benefit with a 242.
well hell......now you got me thinking 231. those seem to be harder to find around here for some reason though
__________________
2002 WJ Limited [B]4.7[/B]: 6" Clayton REALLY long arms....yep, they are longer than yours [B]SOLD : ([/B]
1998 Platinum [B]5.9[/B] DD
2007 WK Overland [B]5.7[/B] wifes DD
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #23396
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyst View Post
When I had my 249, it seemed to distribute power to wheels better then my 242. I'm not an expert in any way shape or form. I loved my 249 on the street, It felt a lot better then the 242 in any gear on take off. But my 242 is bugging me cuz i started getting binding and wheel hop in part time 4 now. Jus like the 249.
Part time will bind. It's supposed to be locked in part time. Full time acts as an open center differential and should not bind.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #23397
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
well hell......now you got me thinking 231. those seem to be harder to find around here for some reason though
The 231 is 65 lbs. A 93-95 249 is 98 lbs, 96-98 is 84 lbs. 242s are 86 lbs.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #23398
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,094
Still waiting to hear on my rear bumper. Almost 5 weeks now
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #23399
AnotherRedZj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: fort walton beach, fl
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

Part time will bind. It's supposed to be locked in part time. Full time acts as an open center differential and should not bind.
Guess it works fine then!

Guess I don't use part time enough to notice before.lol
__________________
5.2 crate - fourwheelcustoms 2.25 BB - 31x10.50 BFG at-ko's 249/242 swap - front drive shaft upgrade by driveshaftspecialistincorporated - jcr off-road front bumper - engo 12k lbs winch......
AnotherRedZj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #23400
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
well hell......now you got me thinking 231. those seem to be harder to find around here for some reason though
It equals out to around every 10 lbs weight reduction is around 1 HP. When I had my Acura TL there was a guy on the board who stripped his of everything and carbon fibered things he could. Replaced seats, door panels, dash, insulation, lighter smaller battery, lighter rims, I mean everything. The car sat almost 2" and he removed around 300 lbs. It was really fast after that.


I found the thread just in case anyone wanted to see the results of extreme weight reduction which is basically free HP.
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610974
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door latch
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.