Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#30,804 ·
Preventative Maintenance - Cap, rotor and wires

Installed new BWD distributor cap and rotor. Also replaced the wires with a new set (don't remember the brand of wires -threw out the box).

Don't know how "inspiring" this will be. However, I did immediately notice a difference when I started up the motor - smoother running and more power. I also noticed no more slight knocking sounds during acceleration up hills. This was the first time I actually did this type of maintenance - so I guess I was inspired by it (lol!).

Something I can pass along that might be helpful has to do with the new rotor. When I tried to install it on the post of the distributor, it would not slide down into its' correct final position. After comparing it to the original (to make sure I had the correct rotor) I noticed that the slot located on the inside of the new rotor was not wide enough. It appears that when it was molded at the factory, a slight amount of "extra" plastic was where it shouldn't have been. I took a very thin, fine file that I had and gently filed away just enough of the extra plastic to allow the rotor to slide very snuggly onto the post (I was very careful not to file away too much plastic which would have caused the rotor to wiggle on the post). It's always something, right?

#30,805 ·
Did an oil change as well as changed my front diff oil. Surprisingly it wasn't bad at all, the P.O. seems like he didn't neglect his maintenance. Also put my other sway end link on. It's road manners have improved dramatically but I still have some clunk. Since that clunk wasn't there when I was disconnected I figured it had to be the sway bar bushings and sure enough they have some play in them with a nice gap. Really wish I caught that before I had the end links off, would have saved myself some time.

#30,808 ·
Put in the reman master cylinder today.
I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that I totally lost my cool and it was a screaming, swearing, punching, kicking, and tool throwing festival...:mad:

I really need some anger management.... :drool:
Maybe I'll buy another drum kit and take my aggression out on that instead.:teehee:

#30,811 ·
96+ doesn't have the lock screw, they just un-plug. I usually tuck the harnesses into the fenders to keep them from flopping around.
This os true. Pull the rubber gromit from the door and you'll see the harness just plugs together. Has one of those red safety clips through it. Pull the clip, unplug, tuck away, and pull the 4 bolts out and the door is off.

Idk about other states, but in wisco you have to have at least 2 mirrors. So I have 2 blind spot mirrors off of a dump truck. Use the same bolt and hole the door just came off of. Bam, all 3 mirrors still in tact.

#30,814 ·
You can't pull the rear trackbar out of the axle end without removing it from the body end due to the shape of the bracket for the axle end. For the front the adjustable is at the body side and the rear is at the axle side, I believe. I'd have to take a double look at mine, but I'm pretty sure that's where I have them. I had to make a small adjustment to my rear and had to drop it from the body end. I left the adjustable end in the axle. I spun the entire trackbar to adjust it.
Thanks ej, tried adjusting by spinning the entire tb but it wouldn't clear the diff. I may of had the axle dropped at the time because I was swapping springs.

On topic, I polished off my lift by adding bilstiens.:2thumbsup:

#30,816 ·
Found premium for $3.79/g(everywhere else is $4+) so I filled the niner full for the first time in months lol..

#30,818 ·
That's pretty expensive.
That's Chicago for ya.....I hate this state. If it wasn't for the wife's job we'd be out west or down south. As far away from Chicago as possible lol.

#30,819 ·

Attachments

#30,820 ·
Dropped my ZJ at the shop to get the Rollcage build going!
and went mudding ;)

Roofless Mudding ooohh how beautiful it is to see the mud fly over your head then fall on you and make you have to take a shower again >.> still really fun!

Here is the build if you wanna follow :)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/98-grand-cherokee-topless-project-2041409/index4.html
You know if you really wanted to go topless you could have bought a 4runner lol...

Looks pretty sweet, but I bet she's a little flexible at the moment without the roof? I imagine the cage will fix that.