Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#30,762 ·
Stock everything? The info is probably there but not on the mobile app
Yes. However, some people have to shorten their drive shafts, others don't. I had to shorten mine by about an inch; I cut the slip yoke with a reciprocating saw. The hardened steel ate through a couple blades but it worked. I've wheeled the crap out of it since and haven't had any issues. My crooked cut doesn't cause any vibrations either. I kinda thought it would. There are plenty of other guys on here who have used their stock shafts with an external slip yoke case. I don't think you could go from an external slip yoke case to an internal slip yoke case and keep the stock external slip yoke drive shaft. The internal slip yoke drive shaft has the same spline count and diameter, but the outside of the slip part is polished while on the external shafts, it's not. I have a feeling that'd eat up the seal inside the case if you were to use it on an internal case. Most 96+ 249s are internal slip yoke and 96+ 242s are external slip yoke. There may be some variances somewhere in there, but that seems to be the general consensus. If you're doing a 249-242 swap for a 96+ ZJ, you should be set. The earlier years don't play by the same rules and there seems to be a lot more variance in the configurations.

EDIT:

Well no worries now! Just ordered a 242 from a 98. $150 shipped! Gotta love eBay sometimes. Tested, cleaned and packed with 30 day guarantee :)
You'll be fine with your stock shaft. You'll probably end up with an external slip yoke case but the internal slip yoke shaft will work.

#30,764 ·
Still not an inner tie rod not even close to the same design Im a mechanic I make a living fixing cars and I'm damn good at it
I want you to call your First Call line and ask them to find you a drag link for a ZJ. Ask the parts guy what it comes up with in the system.

I make a living translating what big bad mechanics say into what the parts actually are, so they get the right thing, even when they have no idea what they're talking about. Nobody is going to think any more highly of you because you can do what any of us here can, but with a 2-post lift and air tools. :rolleyes:

$130 for an alignment? Dude youre getting screwed hard. I have never paid more than $50 for an alignment.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
Probably got charged for 4 wheels, because it's at a syndicated shop where they can't think "oh, hey, it's got a beam axle in the back, there's no adjustment, better only charge him for the front!" and would rather not anyway. A shop sees a 16 year old boy with a lifted SUV, they see a sucker with more money than know-how, and certainly more money than ability to say "no, you screwed up, this is coming out of your ***, not mine."

#30,765 ·
Hah I've been on both sides. First call and mechanic. I had just hit 300 hours of training when I was screwed over by management one too many times. I can't believe I did this, but I never showed my face there again. Kinda wish I had that certificate just because it was kinda cool. But never a word... never got a call asking where I was, or why I decided to **** off. Everyone there hated their job and seemed to take it out on the new guy (me). And I was making $7.40 an hour. Screw that... now it's $30/hr and everyone here loves their job.

Got sidetracked... but the company itself I liked. My point was I have come across this issue as well. They have all kinds of weird names for this stuff, so parts supplier and technician alike have to know any associated terms.

#30,766 ·
I have the know how, I'm in the middle of swapping a transmission in a 1500 right now, my parents don't have the faith in me to let me do **** to my own vehicle, they want it to be "safe"... So yeah I got screwed out if 130 for an alignment and rotation at sears automotive...

At least it's a beautiful day for a transmission swap

Attachments

#30,771 ·
Speaking of tie rod ends... bought a puller from O'Rielly's for only $15. Thing is pretty solid and after some cranking it poped the last piece of my shot end link right out of the swaybar. Should have time to do the other side and some fluids tomorrow.

#30,776 ·
That does look pretty good. I've thought about doing mine in the last but I have the same darker colored faux wood the Niners also had with my TSi. It also have to do the doors to make it match. The darker wood doesn't look nearly as bad as the lighter stuff the Laredos and Limiteds had.

#30,778 ·
Noluck, that looks pretty nice.
I'm wanting to slowly change my whole interior from that crappy fake wood and light brown/tan color scheme to a grey/silver and black interior.

#30,779 ·
I like my wood... and I don't normally say that.

Ahhhh yesss!! Fixed my VIC today. Found two cracked solder joints. Wicked away the old stuff and replaced with some silver solder. No "bad coolant sensor" message anymore.

And I pulled the other broken fog light, readjusted the TV cable, and pulled the door panel to find the window roller was broken in half.

#30,780 ·
Starting tearing into my 4wd system in the front axle to replace the mismatched ring and pinion and found out the ring and pinion i got from another forum member sent me the wrong length pinion. My pinion shaft is the long one and he sent me the short pinion shaft. I did manage to get my new shoes on her today though. A set of 33 12.50 15 super swamper tsl xs. They look amazing. I have to try to find another pinion by mon so that i can put her back together for work on tues.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum