Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#30,742 ·
I'm not on my computer atm so I can't check, but how much did that jcr cost you? Did they sell you the plans and have you cut it out? Or did they send you like the peices??

sent from, uh
They shipped everything unbent, Cut and notched. It ships flat to save cost. $399.00. Bends easy with a cpl clamps and a decent size work bench. Half the small pieces where lost in shipping first go round but one call to Daryl up there and the cut me new ones and shipped them out the next morning.

Cost me an extra $100 in wire, gas, tips and grinding disks.

#30,743 ·
96_zj_laredo said:
I'm definitely going to. It makes me mad because I know I can do it... I'm helping my buddy do a transmission swap in his 1500 tomorrow
Very nice :2thumbsup:

Sometime parents can be ignorant and clueless about things . For example if neither of them have ever changed the oil on there car, they think you're truck would fall apart if you tried to change the brake pads by yourself.

#30,746 ·
Umm there's no inner tie rods on a jeep just the drag link and outter for the driver side then the 2 tie rod ends that go to the drag link and pitman arm I just replaced everything on a jeep Cherokee replaced everything steering related besides the pitman arm and it cost the guy about 450.

#30,747 ·
Umm there's no inner tie rods on a jeep just the drag link and outter for the driver side then the 2 tie rod ends that go to the drag link and pitman arm I just replaced everything on a jeep Cherokee replaced everything steering related besides the pitman arm and it cost the guy about 450.
In parts store catalogs, the drag link and pitman arm link are the inner tie rods. They act the same as inner tie rods.

#30,748 ·
Last time I ordered parts at work they weren't called inner tie rods. That's for rack and pinion steering which is a completely different part not trying to be a dick or anything just saying. I do a lot of jeeps at work and order all of parts there mostly just considered the drag link and tie rod ends. Wouldn't consider them inner ties rods as they are a different style

#30,749 ·
Last time I ordered parts at work they weren't called inner tie rods. That's for rack and pinion steering which is a completely different part not trying to be a dick or anything just saying. I do a lot of jeeps at work and order all of parts there mostly just considered the drag link and tie rod ends. Wouldn't consider them inner ties rods as they are a different style
The pitman link and drag link perform the exact same job as inner tie rods: connecting the steering gear to the outer tie rods via an adjustable constrained-joint linkage. They do it in a different way but it performs the same function. As such, the parts are listed in catalog as inner tie rod ends.

Drag link assemblies are also sometimes called upper tie rods. As a whole, they are tie rods: rods that tie the steering together.

There's a reason, I suppose, that technicians aren't parts guys. :cheers2:

#30,752 ·
$130 for an alignment? Dude youre getting screwed hard. I have never paid more than $50 for an alignment.

Sent from my tent in the woods using JeepForum
I payed $160 once, but with a three yr no questions warranty and I've since taken it back 4 or 5 times. I'm gettin' my money outta that one hahah

Ot. Lined up my exhaust to put the glasspack back on, I'll weld it up next week assuming I can get a day off

sent from, uh

#30,753 ·
Charged for a 4-wheel alignment it sounds to me. Alignment will pay 1 hour. Though the rear end should have been grayed out on the alignment screen because there's no adjustment provided. (Likely not anyhow. I haven't checked yet)

Wonder what their labor rate is... mine is $110/hr.

Edit: haven't checked out the jeep so I don't know what goes where, but if you lift it without adjusting or dropping the rear track bar, does it shift the axle to the right? My muffler is a tad bit close to the driveshaft.

#30,755 ·
Depending on the source vehicle, some NP231s and NP242s have either internal or external slip yokes. You need to get a t-case that matches the kind of slip yoke you have. That is, if you have an ESY, you need an ESY case. The alternative is to get the rear driveshaft out of a ZJ with the same kind of slip yoke as the t-case you're installing.
Also, THANK YOU for this. Nice to finally see a straight answer. Mine is an ISY.

#30,756 ·
Charged for a 4-wheel alignment it sounds to me. Alignment will pay 1 hour. Though the rear end should have been grayed out on the alignment screen because there's no adjustment provided. (Likely not anyhow. I haven't checked yet)

Wonder what their labor rate is... mine is $110/hr.

Edit: haven't checked out the jeep so I don't know what goes where, but if you lift it without adjusting or dropping the rear track bar, does it shift the axle to the right? My muffler is a tad bit close to the driveshaft.
Yes it pulls the axle to the right in the rear and the front gets pulled to the left because your track bars are no longer long enough

#30,759 ·
Depending on the source vehicle, some NP231s and NP242s have either internal or external slip yokes. You need to get a t-case that matches the kind of slip yoke you have. That is, if you have an ESY, you need an ESY case. The alternative is to get the rear driveshaft out of a ZJ with the same kind of slip yoke as the t-case you're installing.
Wrong. My swap is a prime example of switching slip yoke styles. My 249 was an internal slip yoke; the 242 I put in is an external slip yoke. What makes this even better? The driveshafts are compatible!