What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1532 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #22966
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

I put Front Disk n Pads n Calipers on while watching INDY 500 N Tony Kanaan take a W.... go Brazilian...

davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #22967
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

^^^^ Vin Deisals twin
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #22968
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post

In all seriousness, front is hammered pinch seam, some sheetmetal work in front of the tire as well as a BFH to the bottom of the wheel well/fire wall to get more steering angle from it.

the rear, cut the entire rear "flare" off the quarter panel, some hammer work to the rocker and fender lip. Needs more bump stop, as in this pic the body is resting on the rear tire, which in turn destroyed a D35 shaft.

ran that setup for years with extended rear post as the rear coils kept dropping out.
That's a little trimming. Have extended rear posts, knock on wood, I've never dropped a coil
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #22969
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

I get the physics of "dropping a coil" but how can you do it on our zj's. My coils have a retaining tab the keeps the bottom of the coil from moving. Does the tab not prevent coils from leaving the axle?

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #22970
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdude88 View Post
I get the physics of "dropping a coil" but how can you do it on our zj's. My coils have a retaining tab the keeps the bottom of the coil from moving. Does the tab not prevent coils from leaving the axle?

Would be in the rear from a short post cause of the BB ..u would need to extend the post in the middle of the spring n BB ...
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #22971
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

But wouldnt the tab keep the spring in place until the body came back down?

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #22972
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
But wouldnt the tab keep the spring in place until the body came back down?

yes the tab keeps the coil from falling all teh way out, but it does not always self align when it goes back up so coil does not land where it should. when this happens, it will pop the coil out of the tab.

since i extended the post, i have had no issues dropping coils.

I extended them with nylon round stock i turned down on a lathe to be a press fit inside the stock post to a positive stop the same OD as the stock post. cheap and works great.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #22973
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post

yes the tab keeps the coil from falling all teh way out, but it does not always self align when it goes back up so coil does not land where it should. when this happens, it will pop the coil out of the tab.

since i extended the post, i have had no issues dropping coils.

I extended them with nylon round stock i turned down on a lathe to be a press fit inside the stock post to a positive stop the same OD as the stock post. cheap and works great.
Oh ok. Thanks for explaining that

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #22974
SDHarleydad
1994 ZJ 

So I've owned the ZJ for about a year. It now has 148K on it. I do regular oil changes with 20w50 oil to suppress the engine noise (its SoCal I don't have to worry about the cold). I changed the coolant last month with the water pump change. But I never looked at the others. So this weekend I dropped the tranny pan and changed the filter (took 5 qts after letting it drip), changed the fluid in the transfer case and both differentials. After looking at the old fluids I would like to thank the previous owner for the good care he took. The fluids actually look like they didn't need change.
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #22975
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

I lucked out on mine too. Bought out from my friend thats had it for the last few years and is pretty good on maintenance with his vehicles. Or at least, he's pretty good at buying parts and letting me do the work in them lol.
I just replaced seals and bearings in the front axle of his cj he just bought and the stuff, can't call it fluid, that came out of there was the worse I've ever seen
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #22976
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Checked fluids in both, trans are fine. Coolant and oil are both low. I know I've got plenum problems, but how much oil loss should that account for?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #22977
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post
I lucked out on mine too. Bought out from my friend thats had it for the last few years and is pretty good on maintenance with his vehicles. Or at least, he's pretty good at buying parts and letting me do the work in them lol.
I just replaced seals and bearings in the front axle of his cj he just bought and the stuff, can't call it fluid, that came out of there was the worse I've ever seen
Talk about sludge, ugh. Im gonna pop open my rear diff in a few minutes, i hope it dont look that bad.

Unread 05-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #22978
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

So i was looking at my build sheet again and realized that my 93 with factory towing package came with a d35c 3.55 rear end. I thought towing packages came with 3.73. Is it like this because of my trans or is it more common than i thought?

Unread 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #22979
Hvacdude
1994 ZJ 

Camo pimped my Jeep

I bought a roll of Real Tree duct tape and put it to use on this boring day.
Hvacdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #22980
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So i was looking at my build sheet again and realized that my 93 with factory towing package came with a d35c 3.55 rear end. I thought towing packages came with 3.73. Is it like this because of my trans or is it more common than i thought?

There's the "tow package" and something like pre tow package. I think the numbers of the tow package on the build sheet are different depending on which option it was. The tow package that came from factory with the hitch and wiring installed on my 95 came with the 3.73's.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.