What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1507 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #22591
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

got an extra 4.5 mpg over 60miles of 80/20 hiway/city not using the clutch fan

overhead says 18.0mpg avg

970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #22592
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNnewburg View Post
If it only happens during drag racing, that you never do, how do you know it does it? OOOOOPS
never do and never have done are not equal

people are more concerned with the missing door cylinder honestly than WOT performance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
StrateLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #22593
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
got an extra 4.5 mpg over 60miles of 80/20 hiway/city not using the clutch fan

overhead says 18.0mpg avg
That's awesome!!! I can't wait to stick the 5.9L e-fan in mine!!!!
I'm mostly tired of the fan sounding like a school bus' fan... it drowns out the wonderful sound of that mellow toned 5.2L it's hooked to, at times.

I won't complain about an increase in MPG either
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #22594
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I put it on Youtube today. LOL Just a quick vid of an easy part of the Ledges

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #22595
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJJay View Post
Today I replaced the headlamp assemblies on my ’96 Grand Cherokee and wanted to share with you lessons I’ve learned. Before I get into the details, here is the bottom line:

1. Purchasing a product marketed by Omix-ADA does not necessarily add value to the item you would actually receive.

2. Headlamp assemblies manufactured by TYC are of acceptable quality and a good value.

Now for the details. When I purchased my Jeep in 2007 the factory headlamp assemblies had already been replaced with aftermarket units manufactured by DEPO. These had developed leaks and the previous owner used some sort of glue to try to seal between the lenses and the housings to keep water out. Over time this glue had failed and the housings would get a small amount of water in them when I washed the Jeep. Also, on the back of the housings there was a place for a vent, but DEPO had sealed the opening. Therefore, it would take a long time for the moisture inside the housings to entirely evaporate.

I had heard of Omix-ADA from a few sources (off-road catalogs, magazines, and commercials on automotive TV shows), so I presumed it would be a good source for Jeep parts. I easily found the headlamp assemblies I needed at 4 Wheel Parts ($72 each) and Summit Racing ($70 each). So when I saw them on RockAuto.com for $62 each, I thought I was getting a bargain and bought the pair.

When the parts arrived I was surprised to find that I had been sent headlamp assemblies manufactured by TYC, in TYC cartons with TYC labels, with additional Omix-ADA labels attached to the cartons. Here’s the rub: I bought “Omix-ADA” headlamp assemblies from Rock Auto for $62 each, and Rock Auto sells the TYC assemblies for only $17 each!

The TYC assemblies had their name and part number molded into the lens. A protected vent was installed in the upper portion of the back of the housings. They also included new 9004 bulbs and retainers (which was a good thing because one of my old bulbs came apart when I tried to remove the electrical connector). The TYC housings installed without any problems.

I don’t know if Omix-ADA only sells headlamp assemblies manufactured by TYC, or if they rotate their suppliers whenever they see fit.

I didn’t check the price at the Jeep dealer. But a couple of years ago I had to replace a fog lamp and the aftermarket unit was MUCH less expensive than OEM. However, we are now comparing foreign parts to American parts.

I will be keeping the “Omix-ADA” assemblies. I did not want to go through the hassle of getting a return authorization from Rock Auto, packing them up, paying the freight to ship them back, waiting for their delivery to Rock Auto, waiting for a credit, then buying the TYC parts. I just hope some of you learn from my experience and save yourselves the money in the future.
TYCs are probably the best you're going to get without getting OEM replacements or glass housings. Be glad that's what you overpaid for.

On topic, I attempted to do a cowl intake then realized the filter I bought wasn't going to fit inside the cowl. I gave up, returned everything (filters, PVC, hole saw), and "aligned" my Jeep. I got the steering wheel almost perfectly straight now and my toe was out slightly. I have it almost perfect, maybe pointed ever so slightly in now. Toe in is better than toe out if it's not perfect.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #22596
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
e-fan !

Awesome I need one of these soon.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #22597
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
That's awesome!!! I can't wait to stick the 5.9L e-fan in mine!!!!
I'm mostly tired of the fan sounding like a school bus' fan... it drowns out the wonderful sound of that mellow toned 5.2L it's hooked to, at times.

I won't complain about an increase in MPG either
mine sounded the same , your gonna love it
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #22598
Gold-n-AK
1996 ZJ 

Just replaced my old busted up battery tray with an original part ordered from the dealer. $61 / 30 min. and no more worrying about my battery doin flip flops !
Gold-n-AK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #22599
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

..i got the tyc headlamps also got year ago working great....
OT..changed out the Trany fluid n filter...
WHAT UP WITH THE PICTURE DOWN LOADS ..THIS SITE WILL FAIL IF NO PICTURES CAN BE POSTED...
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #22600
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
I put it on Youtube today. LOL Just a quick vid of an easy part of the Ledges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUjiabFz9Dk
no locker

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #22601
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davigzj View Post
..i got the tyc headlamps also got year ago working great....
OT..changed out the Trany fluid n filter...
WHAT UP WITH THE PICTURE DOWN LOADS ..THIS SITE WILL FAIL IF NO PICTURES CAN BE POSTED...
I had trouble loading some the other day too. WTF

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #22602
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Wat did i do it today?
Well hit 11.2 mpg on thr overhead driving to work. Hit 4500 rpms driving home loud as all hell with a blown out exhaust! Drove to my bosses house to do some work and started a fire in the rear of my heep working on a gas trimmer.

So ya was rough on it today but tomorrow driving to work and 25 mi to my aunts
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #22603
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Put on an eldelbrock triangular air cleaner. I can hear it sucking in air while driving. Had to cut hood liner to fit it though. Well worth the 28$ i spent on it.
And depending on how big this paycheck is i'll be getting a new muffler either a spintech 9000 or a classic chambered short powerstick. But cant decide whether to run it out the back, dumped over the axle, or leave the sidepipe?
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #22604
Metallheadd
1998 ZJ 

I put a new Moog track bar and a Rancho steering stabilizer on it and cured my loose front end feel and the start of DW. A few weeks ago I put a new microswitch in my lift glass latch and a new radiator. All is well for now.
Metallheadd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #22605
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
no locker
Hahahaha.... Not yet

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.