What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1488 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #22306
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Went ham on the IRO trackbar this evening got out the big breaker pipe and a huge pipe wrench & tightened like no tomorrow. I think I got rid off the DW, hopefully get it aligned again tomorrow.

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #22307
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Bad postm
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #22308
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Today I painted the factory bumper that's under the bumper cover. It looked like crap after I pulled off the cover. Here's some pics of the front of my ZJ now.

Those pics look absolutly sick with that sun!
95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #22309
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Today I painted the factory bumper that's under the bumper cover. It looked like crap after I pulled off the cover. Here's some pics of the front of my ZJ now.

I'm still trying to figure out which year/engine Explorer I can get an vapor canister from to replace the one on my ZJ. I know there's certain Ford ones that fit and are about half the size of the stock ZJ one. Does anyone know? I haven't been driving my Jeep since I took it off and I'd really like to get something on there that can fit in the stock location but not stick down past the bumper.
There should be room to raise the existing canister.
It would involve cutting a circular hole big enough to slide the canister up through it. Raise the piece that you would cut out, trimmed to minimum, leaving only the original mounting points, and made a bracket to raise it 3"(yes, there should be room in there) closer to the bottom of the headlight.

I plan on doing this with mine soon, along with more creative sheet metal work
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #22310
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95knight View Post
Those pics look absolutly sick with that sun!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
There should be room to raise the existing canister.
It would involve cutting a circular hole big enough to slide the canister up through it. Raise the piece that you would cut out, trimmed to minimum, leaving only the original mounting points, and made a bracket to raise it 3"(yes, there should be room in there) closer to the bottom of the headlight.

I plan on doing this with mine soon, along with more creative sheet metal work
I'll have to check into having someone help me out with that. I have faith in myself cutting the metal, but I don't have faith in tacking it back up. I don't have a welder, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it.
ejschultz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #22311
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks!

I'll have to check into having someone help me out with that. I have faith in myself cutting the metal, but I don't have faith in tacking it back up. I don't have a welder, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it.
Your canister is rectangle and I think has a weird pump thingy too. That might make it more difficult.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #22312
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Swapped out the OE starter solenoid with one from a junkyard ZJ with significantly less miles than mine. Fires up every time now.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #22313
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

This

image-2632863505.jpg
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #22314
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Your canister is rectangle and I think has a weird pump thingy too. That might make it more difficult.
The selenoid is mounted on the fender. The canister is just a canister. I'm thinking about picking up an 04 Explorer can. It's cylindrical and had the tank vent on one side and the output to the selenoid on the other. There isn't a vent to atmosphere with it though, but it looks to be the smallest option. They're also pricey.
ejschultz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #22315
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New front rotors and pads put on. I would say most complicated thing I've done since doing diff fluid changes. Was a little slow going at first as I wans learning what was what, then remember that pb blaster is your friend...whatever a** hole did work on the brakes last time had those damn bolts down way to tight. Got them off and now they're back at 20lbs.

Get the rear done tomorrow hopefully.

Old pads and rotors and the new ones installed.

Btw don't lay in a pile of brake quiet...s*** is sticky when it dries.
forumrunner_20130502_131805.jpg   forumrunner_20130502_131813.jpg  
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #22316
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Well, for the second day in a row it overheated in the same spot, going up a huge hill. Started backfiring like a mofo and I had no power. So I bought a 180* thermostat since its recommended with a performance pcm. I was gonna get one anyways when I got around to doing my plenum, but I don't want to wait that long.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #22317
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

A lower temp t-stat won't help overheating problems. When you say it was overheating, how hot was the temp gauge showing?

Also, FWIW, I'm cammed, running a tuned PCM, etc. and still have a 195* t-stat with no pinging or other issues. And when it's getting up to 225* while hammering on it up a long, steep hill with a trailer in 80* weather, my temp is limited by the cooling system capacity, rather than the t-stat anyway.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #22318
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
A lower temp t-stat won't help overheating problems. When you say it was overheating, how hot was the temp gauge showing?
It was at just about 210*. And it was on the only major hill in my commute from school. And it has been in the mid 70's the past couple of days. I figured I would try it, since its the cheapest possible fix.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #22319
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
It was at just about 210*. And it was on the only major hill in my commute from school. And it has been in the mid 70's the past couple of days.
If it was only at 210*, it wasn't overheating at all. That indicates the issue is something else. When you say backfiring, do you mean pinging, or actually popping back through the intake or exhaust?
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #22320
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
It was at just about 210*. And it was on the only major hill in my commute from school. And it has been in the mid 70's the past couple of days. I figured I would try it, since its the cheapest possible fix.
Mine runs right at 210. A little higher if ac is on or in driving up hills

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.