Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#29,381 ·
Broke the damn fuel door latching pin off my wife's ZJ because the cable was frozen and I had to pull the lever to put fuel in it.....:drool:
WTF??
She's PISSED!!!!!:mad:
THAT won't be an easy fix... Gonna have to rip one out at the JY I guess....
And tear out the whole driver's side interior in order to change it out.....:drool:

#29,382 ·
Maine1994ZJ said:
Broke the damn fuel door latching pin off my wife's ZJ because the cable was frozen and I had to pull the lever to put fuel in it.....:drool: WTF?? She's PISSED!!!!!:mad: THAT won't be an easy fix... Gonna have to rip one out at the JY I guess.... And tear out the whole driver's side interior in order to change it out.....:drool:
Time for the tj fuel bezel mod! :D

#29,383 ·
#29,384 ·
Broke the damn fuel door latching pin off my wife's ZJ because the cable was frozen and I had to pull the lever to put fuel in it.....:drool:
WTF??
She's PISSED!!!!!:mad:
THAT won't be an easy fix... Gonna have to rip one out at the JY I guess....
And tear out the whole driver's side interior in order to change it out.....:drool:
Been there!

Time for the tj fuel bezel mod! :D
:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Done That!!

#29,390 ·
I left the battery on the trickle charger at work, but I'm probably buying a new one in the morning.

I started looking into head units. I'm still pissed off about this 1.5DIN BS, but I think I'm just gonna have to go for something like this and deal with the fact that the center vents will be obstructed most of the time.

#29,391 ·
I left the battery on the trickle charger at work, but I'm probably buying a new one in the morning.

I started looking into head units. I'm still pissed off about this 1.5DIN BS, but I think I'm just gonna have to go for something like this and deal with the fact that the center vents will be obstructed most of the time.
that looks really cool but yeah its gonna be a ***** in the summer with no air from those two vents

#29,392 ·
Found out that plastidip doesn't work for **** if the can is cold. Comes out all globby and pathetic.

Stick the can under the electric blanket for an hour to bring it back to room temp and everything coats great.

#29,393 ·
I might end up using a 40 amp fuse for now since it's the only one I can find in any parts store lol. One last question though, for the on/off/on switch I'm going to be using for the Efan does the wires from the relay to the switch itself need to be the same size as the Efan power wire? Or an it be smaller?
Relays pull very little power. I can't remember if I used #14 or #16 for that. You can definitely use smaller wire for the 85 and 86 contacts as those are the contacts for the coil. 30 should be the input from the battery and 87 should be going out to the fan (these can be swapped but the way I listed is general practice). This is where you're going to want your larger gauge wire. The same goes for both a 30/40 amp (5 pin but you don't use the normally closed 87a contact)/40 amp (4 pin) and a 70 amp relay.

Oh for sure, but I keep seeing people running 12ga wire for door speakers and 0ga wire from battery to 600w amp and 10ga wire for power sockets and such. Just figure the right gauge of wire and use that, no need to go overboard. It's cheaper, lighter, and easier to wire, if you're working with the right size rather than 4 sizes too big.
I don't think a lot of people know they can calculate the size wire they're going to need or find charts either. Car audio wiring companies are notorious for posting charts that show way over sized wiring because they want to make more money on their customers. I run #4 in my Jeep with a 60 amp inline fuse for a 600 WRMS mono amp and a 100x4 WRMS 4 channel. I use 1/0 with a 150 amp inline fuse in my Caprice for a 1038 WRMS mono amp and a 170x4 WRMS 4 channel. According to these companies, I'm undersized and underfused for that kind of power. A mix of my engineering background and running both these systems for years this way tells me otherwise.

did not know that was a word

now i just need to say it in a sentence around non techy people 0-o lol
lol

#29,396 ·
kg6mov said:
Found out that plastidip doesn't work for **** if the can is cold. Comes out all globby and pathetic.

Stick the can under the electric blanket for an hour to bring it back to room temp and everything coats great.
I found the same thing. I left the can in front of a hair dryer between coats when I did my wheels.

On topic, the wife's ZJ got a new Mopar TPS, battery, terminals, a clean TB and IAC. No more wandering idle and stalling at lights (fingers crossed).

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

#29,399 ·
that looks really cool but yeah its gonna be a ***** in the summer with no air from those two vents
Yeah, it'd be a pain in the ***. Why did Jeep have to give us a 1.5DIN slot anyway?
I don't think a lot of people know they can calculate the size wire they're going to need or find charts either. Car audio wiring companies are notorious for posting charts that show way over sized wiring because they want to make more money on their customers. I run #4 in my Jeep with a 60 amp inline fuse for a 600 WRMS mono amp and a 100x4 WRMS 4 channel. I use 1/0 with a 150 amp inline fuse in my Caprice for a 1038 WRMS mono amp and a 170x4 WRMS 4 channel. According to these companies, I'm undersized and underfused for that kind of power. A mix of my engineering background and running both these systems for years this way tells me otherwise.
Ain't that a *****, and ain't that the truth? I just wish workmanship and savvy were common things these days.

She would kill me if I did that to her ZJ... :gunfight:
Why would she? If the fuel door she has is busted, why wouldn't she want one that at least looks good?