Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#29,262 ·
I didn't bust anything open. I was just sore for a couple days. Today is actually the first day I'm not hurting from falling. What kind of carnage did you guys encounter?
I got the worse of it unfortunately. I was sitting on a hill in drive with my foot standing on the brake and the weight of the ZJ pushed us down the ice and I had no control. Slid into a deep rut and kept going like a slot car until I hit snowpack. My front bumper broke in 2 and the styrofoam inside exploded when I nailed the rut. Our dog ended up in my lap from the impact. A guy in our club got video and I'm waiting for the link. My buddy cracked open his rear drivers side fender plate and top of his hard top on his TJ in the same area I wiped out in. Couple other guys got tree rash and dings. On the orange trail after all the rocks in that really narrow section there's a steep hill to go up and get out, well that was ice and only 2 of the 8 of us made it up. Those were the guys with lockers and winches. Once they got up they pulled the rest of us out. We didn't get much wheelin in, more like a recovery mission. Finally left shortly after 5 and it was snowing like crazy.

#29,264 ·
Finished tearing down the electrical. The 700mA draw is from the blower motor fuse. So something in the ATC blower motor controller is shot. :nuts:

I just replaced that a few months ago too. As much as the ATC is a nice feature, it's given me nothing but crap since I got the thing. Never had a problem with the manual controls in the green one.

So I pulled the fuse and left it one the bench. Seat warmers will have to be good enough for heat until I can trace it further.

#29,267 ·
Got the ironman mounts installed. Opted to pay the mechanic to to fight em in vs me getting irritated with it! They lifted the motor up like an inch it looks funny cause of the cross member drop from the lift. Now I need a tranny mount, sye, drive shaft, adjustable control arms, and what ever else wants to come along for the ride! We're gettin there!

#29,269 ·
New winch and almost through with my winch box.
I like it! :2thumbsup:
Mine looks very much like that, only for the ends I used 2" x 3" x .25" rectangle tube that sticks 10" into the front "frame" rails.
Overkill? Yep:laugh:
I don't mind a little extra weight, and I do like the extra strength and stiffness it adds to the whole front end, so it's all good:laugh:

#29,270 ·
got any more pics on how you mounted them? I really want to make some for mine.
Here ya go. Doesn't show the 2nd bolt but I'm sure you can figure that out lol. Had to pull the hood for that but I took some measurements for a mount for a hi-lift jack mount up there

I had to trim a little of the wiper cowl to get them back far enough to clear the corner of the hood when it opens and grind down a piece on the fender to get them to lay flat. But the ridge wasn't there on my buddy's '95

#29,271 ·
I got the worse of it unfortunately. I was sitting on a hill in drive with my foot standing on the brake and the weight of the ZJ pushed us down the ice and I had no control. Slid into a deep rut and kept going like a slot car until I hit snowpack. My front bumper broke in 2 and the styrofoam inside exploded when I nailed the rut. Our dog ended up in my lap from the impact. A guy in our club got video and I'm waiting for the link. My buddy cracked open his rear drivers side fender plate and top of his hard top on his TJ in the same area I wiped out in. Couple other guys got tree rash and dings. On the orange trail after all the rocks in that really narrow section there's a steep hill to go up and get out, well that was ice and only 2 of the 8 of us made it up. Those were the guys with lockers and winches. Once they got up they pulled the rest of us out. We didn't get much wheelin in, more like a recovery mission. Finally left shortly after 5 and it was snowing like crazy.
My locker and my Duratracs made my ZJ have some of the best traction out of my entire group. There were a couple of huge hills I made it up with no problem that took others in my group a few tries. It sucks that you messed up your bumper, but it's all the more reason to upgrade now, right? I always pull my bumper cover, fog lights, and Niner grille off before I wheel. I'd rather break my stock grille than a hard to replace Niner grille.

#29,273 ·
My locker and my Duratracs made my ZJ have some of the best traction out of my entire group. There were a couple of huge hills I made it up with no problem that took others in my group a few tries. It sucks that you messed up your bumper, but it's all the more reason to upgrade now, right? I always pull my bumper cover, fog lights, and Niner grille off before I wheel. I'd rather break my stock grille than a hard to replace Niner grille.
I like the Protofab Rocksolid bumper, just it's a bit expensive and shipping would be ridiculous. The bumper was already a little banged up which is why I left it on, this was just icing on the cake lol. You make a good point about the grill. I have a JY trip I'm planning so I'll look for a Laredo grill to throw on when wheelin. What locker do you have? Front or rear or both?

#29,276 ·
I like the Protofab Rocksolid bumper, just it's a bit expensive and shipping would be ridiculous. The bumper was already a little banged up which is why I left it on, this was just icing on the cake lol. You make a good point about the grill. I have a JY trip I'm planning so I'll look for a Laredo grill to throw on when wheelin. What locker do you have? Front or rear or both?
I'm running an Aussie in the rear. I was afraid how it would act in the snow. It's awesome. It didn't really get along well with my 249, but it's really transparent in full time with my 242. The Jeep is very well mannered in the snow now in full time. I love it. I don't think I'll be doing any auto locker in the front though. I like driving it in the snow and I know that can really mess around with the handling.

#29,277 ·
Here ya go. Doesn't show the 2nd bolt but I'm sure you can figure that out lol. Had to pull the hood for that but I took some measurements for a mount for a hi-lift jack mount up there

I had to trim a little of the wiper cowl to get them back far enough to clear the corner of the hood when it opens and grind down a piece on the fender to get them to lay flat. But the ridge wasn't there on my buddy's '95
Those are nice how about a close side shot...

#29,278 ·

That is a genius way to do a pillar lights. I may copy you on that. What size metal did you use? Is it a solid mount? From the looks of it I imagine that the lights could shake around some on bumpy gravel roads. I may copy this idea though :thumbsup:

OT: Re centered my rear axle, man it sure looks funny right now. My rear end is sitting at 5 inches and my front is at 2. Just waiting for parts to come in so I can do the front. This is agonizing... :laugh: