Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#28,281 ·
Mine did the same thing, i unplugged it and had no problems with the rear wiper. Never had a dead battery again either.

#28,282 ·
Peeked down the throttle body. Looks like the weekend after Christmas I'm pulling the intake manifold. Although right now its just getting a Doorman gasket kit since thats what I can afford.
How much is that kit?

On topic: Today i got my five speed fired up and running

#28,283 ·
Gasket kit is cheap, use RTV on the pan gasket it helps it seal and last longer. Make sure to torq the bolts exactly as they should be, in the order they should be torqued in, and to spec. You also have to replace the intake manifold bolts. They are TTY and should not be reused.

#28,286 ·
I wished yet again that I could have driven it, and yet again, I wished that I could just get it sold. I need that money dammit. I'm gonna be so short on this Orvis, what with my hours getting cut.

Anyone interested? :help:

#28,287 ·
hmm. unplug it, it works. i dig it.:eek:
Unplug it or buy a new one, those are the options lol. All its for is to turn the dome light on when you pop the glass. When it's unplugged it acts the same as when the glass is closed. It doesnt stop the rear wiper from working. I had a 97 ZJ with the same problem your having, WTF do i care if the dome light comes on with the glass? Unplugged it, went on my way with never having a dead battery again.

#28,288 ·
I wished yet again that I could have driven it, and yet again, I wished that I could just get it sold. I need that money dammit. I'm gonna be so short on this Orvis, what with my hours getting cut.

Anyone interested? :help:
I'd be but unfortunately you're at least 2,000 miles to far.

#28,289 ·
Got a question real quick. Well, two. One: after disconnecting battery for some time, is there a code or something to reset the radio? Or is there no such thing? Second, what can I do to make the rear wiper not work to see if it kills battery overnight? Also my rear windshield is fixed-doesn't open.

#28,290 ·
Got a question real quick. Well, two. One: after disconnecting battery for some time, is there a code or something to reset the radio? Or is there no such thing? Second, what can I do to make the rear wiper not work to see if it kills battery overnight? Also my rear windshield is fixed-doesn't open.
You can try pulling the fuse for it. It's #9 in the interior fuse box, should be 20 amps.

I never had a problem with battery drain but I'd hear a sound from back there every now and then that sounded like the wiper motor twitching. Not sure what you need to reset with the radio. But I've never had the original radio anyway so I couldn't help you there.

#28,291 ·
No code on the stock radio, the rear wiper is not killing your battery but if you want to un plug it, just take the plastic hatch interior trim off and pull the plug out of the motor. I wouldnt pull the fuse. Chancer are other things are on the same circuit even though the fuse panel only has the rear wiper listed. Fuse panel guides are vague. They never tell you everything on that circuit.

#28,293 ·
Unplugging the switch would be the way to test it if thats the case.

#28,296 ·
I installed another alternator thinking the reman I'd already installed was the source of my belt noise. It wasn't. I've already put in a new tensioner, idler pulley and a new belt.

I also put on my studded snow tires. It's supposed to snow tomorrow.

#28,298 ·
Gasket kit is cheap, use RTV on the pan gasket it helps it seal and last longer. Make sure to torq the bolts exactly as they should be, in the order they should be torqued in, and to spec. You also have to replace the intake manifold bolts. They are TTY and should not be reused.
How much is that kit?

On topic: Today i got my five speed fired up and running
Depending on where you get it, $30-$50.

It comes with new manifold bolts. And I hate TTY bolts.