Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#28,181 ·
Yea i figure it will hold it's own. It's got 3 week old tires on it also so im sure that will help. Been looking into maybe a 3" lift, seems like no one makes lift springs for the back? All im finding are really tall blocks and it's already got 3" blocks in there from the factory lol.
nothing wrong with tall lift blocks...

#28,182 ·
AWD in the 242 is an open center diff. IMO, it's utterly useless as it leads to fairly unpredictable behavior if you break traction.
so its 1wd then :D this is not awd

awd actively splits tq between the front and rear

4 hi activly spins the effeing wee out of whatever wheel will slip but makes a lot of noise and has riceboy respectability

i remember when i had fun replacing tires every week from the burnouts that would make my tires delaminate it sure was fun

i also remember crashing and almost killing a few people too

i like traction now

#28,183 ·
240 made to drift see above post
If you've got traction problems that badly in the rain, the problem isn't being RWD, it's the tires. I have no issues at all driving my 5.9 in 2wd in the rain. Just don't go WOT in 1st and you're generally ok. Heck, I drive it around in 2wd in the snow most of the time, no issue there either. It does get tail happy in the snow and I have to keep it in check, but it's still better than 4wd when the snow isn't overly deep (part time understeers badly, full time isn't predictable enough).

#28,184 ·
240 made to drift see above post
To be fair it's a slowly progressing grip build. I think it's sitting on summer tires. Sure enough, in the dry it sticks very well. Regardless, there is a place for AWD and I enjoy its performance benefits.

As for the 242's AWD being tricky, I never had problems. While the AWD in that isn't as capable as the AWD in the 249 or 247 cases, it's better than part-time 4 on road, and has a part-time position for offroad. And no VC to fail.

#28,187 ·
Up here we get snow, freezing rain, sleet, and everything else, all at the same time.
In Chicago, we can wake up with 60 degree weather and it'll be down in the 20s by noon. That messes you up for the day if you're like me and don't check the weather beyond opening the front door to feel the temp before you leave...

#28,188 ·
In Chicago, we can wake up with 60 degree weather and it'll be down in the 20s by noon. That messes you up for the day if you're like me and don't check the weather beyond opening the front door to feel the temp before you leave...
That happened yesterday here lol
Pretty similar weather actually between Chicago and Cleveland, though Chicago is much cooler in a figurative kind of way. :thumbsup:

#28,189 ·
Two days ago it was 80 degrees. In the course of 30 hours it went from 80 to 25. It's progressively getting colder today. It'll be on the rise again Sunday, but damn.

#28,198 ·
I had no idea what it was until I googled it so here's a picture for anyone else that was wondering. I'm not a fan of the black/gold, never was.

#28,199 ·
Hopefully I finally got the thermostat housing to quit leaking. The negative ten temps we've been having lately made crap start leaking. New gasket with rtv on both sides and she doesn't appear to be leaking. Now I'm gonna wash her good outside and underneath to get all the antifreeze and grease off everything. If she stays leak free for a while, I'll buy her a steel bumper this month :)