What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1365 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #20461
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader

2005 WK 

Donor Jeep:
Removed Transfer Case and Exhaust system from donor jeep. Finally was able to remove the DriveShaft from the front axle. I ended grinding the bold off, ds came off, and took vice grips to thread the rest of the bolt out. Same goes with the two remaining LCA on both axles where the bolts would not budge..

Current 5.9:
Bought 6 new speakers plus a new deck. Installed 4 speakers last night, the last 2 that goes on the ceiling in the back, I will have to figure out to wire that to the rear bottom speakers. Also I forgot to write down the wire colors on each door... now I have to take it apart again and write it down..

Got a pink hard hat when I was at Rona and made a donation. Dope

Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80
AcidAnton is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #20462
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Why did it need a rebuild in the first place? Also, I really don't think someone's ethnicity has anything to do with their ability to fix a car.
Didn't need a rebuild, it had a blown head gasket. Blown head gaskets happen, especially where it gets 110 in the summer. The guy decided while he had the car apart he'd rebuild the engine. And he did a bad job.

You must not know many Mexicans, and if you do, they're probably not in Texas. Of all the cars I've bought or considered buying, it's the ones owned by or repaired by Mexicans that have the most problems. Same for all my contemporaries. It's not racism, it's data. That's not to say all Mexican-owned cars are put together poorly, but that the most poorly-put-together cars I've seen have been Mexican-owned. It's not even all latinos, just Mexicans. Salvadoreans and Puerto Ricans do great work.

Why are some Jeepers so smug?

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #20463
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

Didn't need a rebuild, it had a blown head gasket. Blown head gaskets happen, especially where it gets 110 in the summer. The guy decided while he had the car apart he'd rebuild the engine. And he did a bad job.

You must not know many Mexicans, and if you do, they're probably not in Texas. Of all the cars I've bought or considered buying, it's the ones owned by or repaired by Mexicans that have the most problems. Same for all my contemporaries. It's not racism, it's data. That's not to say all Mexican-owned cars are put together poorly, but that the most poorly-put-together cars I've seen have been Mexican-owned. It's not even all latinos, just Mexicans. Salvadoreans and Puerto Ricans do great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
Bought its replacement as a daily driver

Points if you know what it is.

Seriously, though, the ZJ doesn't work and I didn't have money to fix it, so it's going to be parked tomorrow when the donor is scrapped, and I'm gonna use this new car to get places. The motor was rebuilt literally 1 mile ago by a guy with access to a full shop. It smokes profusely. Looks and smells like the semi-synthetic he used. New rings, honed cylinders, new valve seals, installed by a guy who drove to the large shop he works at, in the 383 Camaro he built himself. So I trust the engine is probably fine, and I'm betting it's just the super-thin semi-synth is blowing by the oil ring instead of sealing and seating the ring properly. This man is probably the most genuine guy I've bought a car from.

Only other problem is it needs to be timed, but that's not an issue.
I thought you said the guy did a good job and you trusted his rebuild?

I'm not the all knowing on motors but from my understanding high rpms will spin bearings. But I'm sure you knew that allready? I sure hope you weren't beating on a motor with a fresh rebuild.
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #20464
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Smug? Why are you so ignorant?
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #20465
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz

Smug? Why are you so ignorant?
Because Nissan!!!
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #20466
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

My guess is that Texas Mexicans are probably poor, and therefore buy cars that already have problems, and dont have a lot of money to fix them when they break down further. Just a guess. Then again maybe you are right and your sweeping generalization about Mexican-ness equaling ****ty car maintenance is correct.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #20467
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Doesn't matter what race owns the car. A ****ty rebuild is a ****ty rebuild. I wouldn't trust a motor built by ANYONE that had 1 mile on it. Even a professional engine builder untill it has been broken in on a engine dyno or a run stand. Any car owned by anyone that Dosnt know what they are doin is gonna be junk.
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #20468
B93
1998 ZJ 

Got an oil change, changed a fog light bulb, swapped the Platinum grille for the Deep Slate grille. Not sure which one I like more...

Didn't really do anything significant but it seems to be running better/smoother after the oil change.

Just a quick question: is it possible for these ZJs to have a misfire without triggering the CEL?
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #20469
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
I thought you said the guy did a good job and you trusted his rebuild?

I'm not the all knowing on motors but from my understanding high rpms will spin bearings. But I'm sure you knew that allready? I sure hope you weren't beating on a motor with a fresh rebuild.
Ring-seating procedure calls for high cylinder pressure. Nissan motors call for runs up to 6500 RPM under load, then coasting back to 2500. Repeat for at least 5 runs. Once the rings seat and the smoke stops, don't run the motor hard again for at least 200 miles. If you do run the motor hard after that, it'll still work, it just won't have the same kind of longevity. If it was assembled properly, a bearing would not have spun.

That's advice given to me by a man who's been building Nissans since they carried Datsun badges. I trust him because I've seen his work firsthand. Man has 11 Datsun 510s, among a collection of 38 cars at the moment.

I trusted the PO's rebuild until it spun a bearing. Then I realized he cut corners and used procedures specific to Chevies when putting this DOHC Nissan motor back together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
My guess is that Texas Mexicans are probably poor, and therefore buy cars that already have problems, and dont have a lot of money to fix them when they break down further. Just a guess. Then again maybe you are right and your sweeping generalization about Mexican-ness equaling ****ty car maintenance is correct.
Texan Mexicans don't have pride in their work is the problem. The difference in cost between a bad fix and a good one isn't that much, but if you have any pride you'll do it well regardless. "Almost good enough" is a philosophy you see often around here.

For that matter, Mexicans aren't the only ones steeped in poverty, but not everyone that poor does as bad a fix to their car. Just comes down to pride in your work. Call it a cultural thing I guess.

Anyway, I'm not really concerned by the bad build. These motors are cheap, the head is remanufactured by Cylinder Head Exchange, and the clearance to get it in and out is plentiful. I'll just put the reman head on a slightly newer motor and drop it in. Plus I'm familiar with Nissans and I've pulled these motors from these cars. All in all if I end up with a different motor in there for $500, that puts me at $1700 for a stock 240SX which is still half the going rate these days.

Eat me and don't call it a Nissan thing. That's like saying snapped front axle shafts are a Jeep thing.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #20470
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

When did this become a Nissan forum?

Move on with your lives already.

I washed the 5.9 in the yard then ran over dog crap. Painted the steering, front axle, and rear drive shaft. Stuff is starting to turn orange. One thing I miss about Nevada was no rust. I noticed that my Bilstein 5100's got tarnished on the cans from the salt crap they use. It also corroded my JKS disco's on the threads, nut, and cotter pins.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #20471
B93
1998 ZJ 

Salt is a terrible terrible thing. I wish they just let the snow accumulate up here... Instead of the roads being white from salt.
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #20472
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Changed the oil it had like 2400 miles on it but was pretty dark and almost a quart low. Put a better oil filter on her again this time and gained a couple psi oil pressure. My guess is maybe the anti drain back valve on this filter is helping build a little more pressure.

Kind of odd I added 6.25 quarts of oil when I refilled and its measuring 3/4 quart lower than the max line on the dipstick. I let it drain for like 20 minutes til it wouldnt drip any more on a slight incline but every other time I put 6 quarts in its full. Hmm

Either way shes a little quieter at idle with the fresh earl in er and couple more psi.

Hooked up the secondary battery in the rear again.

Drove around for a half hour or a little more.

Shes running great with fresh o2 sensors...

For now... It is a ZJ.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #20473
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited
Changed the oil it had like 2400 miles on it but was pretty dark and almost a quart low. Put a better oil filter on her again this time and gained a couple psi oil pressure. My guess is maybe the anti drain back valve on this filter is helping build a little more pressure.

Kind of odd I added 6.25 quarts of oil when I refilled and its measuring 3/4 quart lower than the max line on the dipstick. I let it drain for like 20 minutes til it wouldnt drip any more on a slight incline but every other time I put 6 quarts in its full. Hmm

Either way shes a little quieter at idle with the fresh earl in er and couple more psi.

Hooked up the secondary battery in the rear again.

Drove around for a half hour or a little more.

Shes running great with fresh o2 sensors...

For now... It is a ZJ.
Never put in to much oil... It's Terrible idea.
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #20474
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
When did this become a Nissan forum?

Move on with your lives already.

I washed the 5.9 in the yard then ran over dog crap. Painted the steering, front axle, and rear drive shaft. Stuff is starting to turn orange. One thing I miss about Nevada was no rust. I noticed that my Bilstein 5100's got tarnished on the cans from the salt crap they use. It also corroded my JKS disco's on the threads, nut, and cotter pins.
Clean up the shocks and clear coat them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #20475
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Clean up the shocks and clear coat them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
Yea looks like I am going to have to pull them and lightly sand them down the like you said apply clear coating. PITA lol I'm lazy. Maybe I can just take the tires off and finagle it that way.

I told myself that I was going to hose the undercarriage after driving in the winter but it's just been to damn cold and ain't nobody got time for that!
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.