What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1365 - JeepForum.com
 51Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #20461 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 176
Donor Jeep:
Removed Transfer Case and Exhaust system from donor jeep. Finally was able to remove the DriveShaft from the front axle. I ended grinding the bold off, ds came off, and took vice grips to thread the rest of the bolt out. Same goes with the two remaining LCA on both axles where the bolts would not budge..

Current 5.9:
Bought 6 new speakers plus a new deck. Installed 4 speakers last night, the last 2 that goes on the ceiling in the back, I will have to figure out to wire that to the rear bottom speakers. Also I forgot to write down the wire colors on each door... now I have to take it apart again and write it down..

Got a pink hard hat when I was at Rona and made a donation. Dope






Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80
AcidAnton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20462 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Why did it need a rebuild in the first place? Also, I really don't think someone's ethnicity has anything to do with their ability to fix a car.
Didn't need a rebuild, it had a blown head gasket. Blown head gaskets happen, especially where it gets 110 in the summer. The guy decided while he had the car apart he'd rebuild the engine. And he did a bad job.

You must not know many Mexicans, and if you do, they're probably not in Texas. Of all the cars I've bought or considered buying, it's the ones owned by or repaired by Mexicans that have the most problems. Same for all my contemporaries. It's not racism, it's data. That's not to say all Mexican-owned cars are put together poorly, but that the most poorly-put-together cars I've seen have been Mexican-owned. It's not even all latinos, just Mexicans. Salvadoreans and Puerto Ricans do great work.



Why are some Jeepers so smug?

1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

FUEL ECONOMY IS FOR LOSERS
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #20463 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
nickpequignot
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: columbia city
Posts: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

Didn't need a rebuild, it had a blown head gasket. Blown head gaskets happen, especially where it gets 110 in the summer. The guy decided while he had the car apart he'd rebuild the engine. And he did a bad job.

You must not know many Mexicans, and if you do, they're probably not in Texas. Of all the cars I've bought or considered buying, it's the ones owned by or repaired by Mexicans that have the most problems. Same for all my contemporaries. It's not racism, it's data. That's not to say all Mexican-owned cars are put together poorly, but that the most poorly-put-together cars I've seen have been Mexican-owned. It's not even all latinos, just Mexicans. Salvadoreans and Puerto Ricans do great work.

Why are some Jeepers so smug?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
Bought its replacement as a daily driver

Points if you know what it is.

Seriously, though, the ZJ doesn't work and I didn't have money to fix it, so it's going to be parked tomorrow when the donor is scrapped, and I'm gonna use this new car to get places. The motor was rebuilt literally 1 mile ago by a guy with access to a full shop. It smokes profusely. Looks and smells like the semi-synthetic he used. New rings, honed cylinders, new valve seals, installed by a guy who drove to the large shop he works at, in the 383 Camaro he built himself. So I trust the engine is probably fine, and I'm betting it's just the super-thin semi-synth is blowing by the oil ring instead of sealing and seating the ring properly. This man is probably the most genuine guy I've bought a car from.

Only other problem is it needs to be timed, but that's not an issue.
I thought you said the guy did a good job and you trusted his rebuild?

I'm not the all knowing on motors but from my understanding high rpms will spin bearings. But I'm sure you knew that allready? I sure hope you weren't beating on a motor with a fresh rebuild.

96 limited build thread-http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/96-limited-build-1351732/
nickpequignot is offline  
post #20464 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 AM
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Didn't need a rebuild, it had a blown head gasket. Blown head gaskets happen, especially where it gets 110 in the summer. The guy decided while he had the car apart he'd rebuild the engine. And he did a bad job.

You must not know many Mexicans, and if you do, they're probably not in Texas. Of all the cars I've bought or considered buying, it's the ones owned by or repaired by Mexicans that have the most problems. Same for all my contemporaries. It's not racism, it's data. That's not to say all Mexican-owned cars are put together poorly, but that the most poorly-put-together cars I've seen have been Mexican-owned. It's not even all latinos, just Mexicans. Salvadoreans and Puerto Ricans do great work.



Why are some Jeepers so smug?
Smug? Why are you so ignorant?

97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline  
post #20465 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM
nickpequignot
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: columbia city
Posts: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz

Smug? Why are you so ignorant?
Because Nissan!!!

96 limited build thread-http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/96-limited-build-1351732/
nickpequignot is offline  
post #20466 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
bananaslug
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: upland
Posts: 1,452
My guess is that Texas Mexicans are probably poor, and therefore buy cars that already have problems, and dont have a lot of money to fix them when they break down further. Just a guess. Then again maybe you are right and your sweeping generalization about Mexican-ness equaling ****ty car maintenance is correct.
bananaslug is offline  
post #20467 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
nickpequignot
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: columbia city
Posts: 2,829
Doesn't matter what race owns the car. A ****ty rebuild is a ****ty rebuild. I wouldn't trust a motor built by ANYONE that had 1 mile on it. Even a professional engine builder untill it has been broken in on a engine dyno or a run stand. Any car owned by anyone that Dosnt know what they are doin is gonna be junk.

96 limited build thread-http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/96-limited-build-1351732/
nickpequignot is offline  
post #20468 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
B93
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Whitby
Posts: 342
Got an oil change, changed a fog light bulb, swapped the Platinum grille for the Deep Slate grille. Not sure which one I like more...

Didn't really do anything significant but it seems to be running better/smoother after the oil change.

Just a quick question: is it possible for these ZJs to have a misfire without triggering the CEL?

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. ~356,000 kms
B93 is offline  
post #20469 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
I thought you said the guy did a good job and you trusted his rebuild?

I'm not the all knowing on motors but from my understanding high rpms will spin bearings. But I'm sure you knew that allready? I sure hope you weren't beating on a motor with a fresh rebuild.
Ring-seating procedure calls for high cylinder pressure. Nissan motors call for runs up to 6500 RPM under load, then coasting back to 2500. Repeat for at least 5 runs. Once the rings seat and the smoke stops, don't run the motor hard again for at least 200 miles. If you do run the motor hard after that, it'll still work, it just won't have the same kind of longevity. If it was assembled properly, a bearing would not have spun.

That's advice given to me by a man who's been building Nissans since they carried Datsun badges. I trust him because I've seen his work firsthand. Man has 11 Datsun 510s, among a collection of 38 cars at the moment.

I trusted the PO's rebuild until it spun a bearing. Then I realized he cut corners and used procedures specific to Chevies when putting this DOHC Nissan motor back together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
My guess is that Texas Mexicans are probably poor, and therefore buy cars that already have problems, and dont have a lot of money to fix them when they break down further. Just a guess. Then again maybe you are right and your sweeping generalization about Mexican-ness equaling ****ty car maintenance is correct.
Texan Mexicans don't have pride in their work is the problem. The difference in cost between a bad fix and a good one isn't that much, but if you have any pride you'll do it well regardless. "Almost good enough" is a philosophy you see often around here.

For that matter, Mexicans aren't the only ones steeped in poverty, but not everyone that poor does as bad a fix to their car. Just comes down to pride in your work. Call it a cultural thing I guess.


Anyway, I'm not really concerned by the bad build. These motors are cheap, the head is remanufactured by Cylinder Head Exchange, and the clearance to get it in and out is plentiful. I'll just put the reman head on a slightly newer motor and drop it in. Plus I'm familiar with Nissans and I've pulled these motors from these cars. All in all if I end up with a different motor in there for $500, that puts me at $1700 for a stock 240SX which is still half the going rate these days.

Eat me and don't call it a Nissan thing. That's like saying snapped front axle shafts are a Jeep thing.

1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

FUEL ECONOMY IS FOR LOSERS
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #20470 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,167
When did this become a Nissan forum?

Move on with your lives already.

I washed the 5.9 in the yard then ran over dog crap. Painted the steering, front axle, and rear drive shaft. Stuff is starting to turn orange. One thing I miss about Nevada was no rust. I noticed that my Bilstein 5100's got tarnished on the cans from the salt crap they use. It also corroded my JKS disco's on the threads, nut, and cotter pins.
PolkaPower is online now  
post #20471 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
B93
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Whitby
Posts: 342
Salt is a terrible terrible thing. I wish they just let the snow accumulate up here... Instead of the roads being white from salt.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. ~356,000 kms
B93 is offline  
post #20472 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
98GCLimited
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHC
Posts: 512
Changed the oil it had like 2400 miles on it but was pretty dark and almost a quart low. Put a better oil filter on her again this time and gained a couple psi oil pressure. My guess is maybe the anti drain back valve on this filter is helping build a little more pressure.

Kind of odd I added 6.25 quarts of oil when I refilled and its measuring 3/4 quart lower than the max line on the dipstick. I let it drain for like 20 minutes til it wouldnt drip any more on a slight incline but every other time I put 6 quarts in its full. Hmm

Either way shes a little quieter at idle with the fresh earl in er and couple more psi.

Hooked up the secondary battery in the rear again.

Drove around for a half hour or a little more.

Shes running great with fresh o2 sensors...

For now... It is a ZJ.
98GCLimited is offline  
post #20473 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
cgcarpenter
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: west covina
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited
Changed the oil it had like 2400 miles on it but was pretty dark and almost a quart low. Put a better oil filter on her again this time and gained a couple psi oil pressure. My guess is maybe the anti drain back valve on this filter is helping build a little more pressure.

Kind of odd I added 6.25 quarts of oil when I refilled and its measuring 3/4 quart lower than the max line on the dipstick. I let it drain for like 20 minutes til it wouldnt drip any more on a slight incline but every other time I put 6 quarts in its full. Hmm

Either way shes a little quieter at idle with the fresh earl in er and couple more psi.

Hooked up the secondary battery in the rear again.

Drove around for a half hour or a little more.

Shes running great with fresh o2 sensors...

For now... It is a ZJ.
Never put in to much oil... It's Terrible idea.
cgcarpenter is offline  
post #20474 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep
 
McCloudsZJ's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
When did this become a Nissan forum?

Move on with your lives already.

I washed the 5.9 in the yard then ran over dog crap. Painted the steering, front axle, and rear drive shaft. Stuff is starting to turn orange. One thing I miss about Nevada was no rust. I noticed that my Bilstein 5100's got tarnished on the cans from the salt crap they use. It also corroded my JKS disco's on the threads, nut, and cotter pins.
Clean up the shocks and clear coat them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline  
post #20475 of 43860 Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Clean up the shocks and clear coat them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
Yea looks like I am going to have to pull them and lightly sand them down the like you said apply clear coating. PITA lol I'm lazy. Maybe I can just take the tires off and finagle it that way.

I told myself that I was going to hose the undercarriage after driving in the winter but it's just been to damn cold and ain't nobody got time for that!
PolkaPower is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
PolkaPower
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Almost ran out of gas today SYCOHEMI WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 37 04-29-2016 10:36 PM
Let me tell you what I did not do today husker_zj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 03-19-2013 01:09 PM
got my 94 ZJ today, and did my first mod Saleen4971 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 09-22-2009 12:52 AM
Hey, Today is 5.9 day! CAHotRodBoy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 05-09-2005 09:35 PM
Have you had your V-8 today?? Myrtle Beach ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 04-30-2005 01:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome