What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1349 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #20221
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The flattened part is supposed to be there.

WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #20222
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

But can you run a tailpipe without it?

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #20223
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdude88 View Post
But can you run a tailpipe without it?

It might hit stuff if it's not. It's there for a reason. Leave it alone. You're not going to notice on a 4.0l. It's slow even with mods.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #20224
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

You certainly don't need the flat spot if it's routed correctly. I've got a 3" tailpipe in there with no flat spots or anything and it clears the track bar and such just fine.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #20225
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
It's actually pretty quick and painless. If I wasn't up in Green Bay, I'd do it for you.

I guess kinda on topic, my Aussie came today. I won't be installing it today though, obviously.
Is it hard to take that whole section out that has the headlights, fog lights and dimmer switch??

Seems like remove wood grain panel, and maybe 4 screws to hold that switch panel in place and unhook some wire connectors??

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #20226
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Noticed a nasty little streak of bubbled rust on my passenger side rocker. Sad indeed. Any efficient way to combat this?
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #20227
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd
It all started with my blinker on the dash not always working. Meaning I would turn on the blinker, the light would come on the dash but wouldn't always flash on and off. Sometimes it would flash on and off and some times it wouldn't. Then the turn singnal would stay solid on the dash when turned on. All the turn signal lights front and rear work when it is turned on.

Then lately I started noticing my dash lights dimming and brightening on their own. Kind of flickering, not noticable but I caught it.

Then last night, my dashboard lights and HVAC just stopped illuminating. Then if I turned my turn signal on, and if the turn signal decided to flas on and off, it would make all my dash lights and HVAC lights turn on and off with my turn signal. Or is my turn signal stayed solid on the dash, all my dashboard lights and HVAC lights remained solidly lit as well.

Also, if I applied my breaks, my dashboard lights and HVAC lights would flicker on and off......

Stupid electrical issues. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I added more problems that I've encountered!!!

Ok some more things I noticed.

This is all happens when the head light switch is in the AUTO position!!

-As you saw in the video ALL lights are out (dash board, HVAC, GDM, Drive selector [P R N D 2 1], and all my Selec-Trac lights)

-Radio still lights up on its own

-When my head lights are on, in the auto position or manual position, my tail lights DO NOT light up. Got stopped tonight from a LEO to warn me.

-Break lights still light up as normal when you press the break pedal

-When the head lights are in the AUTO position and you tap the breaks, ALL lights that are mentioned in the first part of list and as seen in the video all flicker, turn on and off.

-When the head lights are in the MANUAL position, when I hit the break pedal, none of the above mentioned happens. All lights remain off

-When head light switch remains in the MANUAL position, when you go to open the drivers side door, the chime to let you know that your head lights are still on doesn't go off at all

I think that is all that I've noticed and that I can think of for now.

All my above problems that I mentioned and what you've seen In the video, is that all related to the head light, dimmer and fog light switch??

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #20228
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
You certainly don't need the flat spot if it's routed correctly. I've got a 3" tailpipe in there with no flat spots or anything and it clears the track bar and such just fine.
Thanks, ill talk to a local exhaust shop about making me one then. I only have stock sized piping, even after a new cat and muffler (don't have a real need to up the size) so I definitely shouldn't have clearance issues then if you don't with your 3" tailpipe.

I just don't like flat spots in an exhaust. Especially if you can route it with em.

Thanks again for the info

Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #20229
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
I added more problems that I've encountered!!!

Ok some more things I noticed.

This is all happens when the head light switch is in the AUTO position!!

-As you saw in the video ALL lights are out (dash board, HVAC, GDM, Drive selector [P R N D 2 1], and all my Selec-Trac lights)

-Radio still lights up on its own

-When my head lights are on, in the auto position or manual position, my tail lights DO NOT light up. Got stopped tonight from a LEO to warn me.

-Break lights still light up as normal when you press the break pedal

-When the head lights are in the AUTO position and you tap the breaks, ALL lights that are mentioned in the first part of list and as seen in the video all flicker, turn on and off.

-When the head lights are in the MANUAL position, when I hit the break pedal, none of the above mentioned happens. All lights remain off

-When head light switch remains in the MANUAL position, when you go to open the drivers side door, the chime to let you know that your head lights are still on doesn't go off at all

I think that is all that I've noticed and that I can think of for now.

All my above problems that I mentioned and what you've seen In the video, is that all related to the head light, dimmer and fog light switch??

With the exterior lights messing up like that, it might be more than just the dimmer. I still say the dimmer is bad, but you have something else going on as well. I guess it could be the whole switch. I don't believe there's a fix for the whole switch. I've got an extra switch somewhere at home with a known bad dimmer. I could fix it an let you have it. I don't have a need for it. It may or may not fix your issue but it's worth a try.

Oh, an taking the switch out is a little more involved than removing the faux wood trim. The whole bottom section of the dash needs to come out to access the bottom screws holding it in. Again, that's something I'd be willing to do for you.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #20230
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
It's actually pretty quick and painless. If I wasn't up in Green Bay, I'd do it for you.

I guess kinda on topic, my Aussie came today. I won't be installing it today though, obviously.
Aussim! I have heard the installation is quicker than a break job...

On topic, about to drive it to work. it's been sitting for two weeks.
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #20231
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

I hooked up a hose to my kitchen faucet and washed the under carraige with hot water. I also washed inside the cladding, bumper covers, fender liners and door jambs as best as I could get. I noted that virtually all the bushings are rotten; the exhaust while intact is loose in the hangers. Very little rust, I can see some rust under the RH rear cladding and the rear bumper brackets.
I also noticed I do not have a rear sway bar! I'll have to hit the JY to get a bar and all related brackets. It would be nice to get the addco sway bar but that money will be better suited to a complete energy or prothane bushing kit I think. The exhaust system is really small, I see a 2.5 system in the "summer mods".

If anybody has a complete rear swaybar set up cheap, shoot me a PM!

Then I had to salt the driveway!
'89 F150, 4" Rancho

Last edited by PeteNnewburg; 02-19-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #20232
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
With the exterior lights messing up like that, it might be more than just the dimmer. I still say the dimmer is bad, but you have something else going on as well. I guess it could be the whole switch. I don't believe there's a fix for the whole switch. I've got an extra switch somewhere at home with a known bad dimmer. I could fix it an let you have it. I don't have a need for it. It may or may not fix your issue but it's worth a try.

Oh, an taking the switch out is a little more involved than removing the faux wood trim. The whole bottom section of the dash needs to come out to access the bottom screws holding it in. Again, that's something I'd be willing to do for you.
As for the exterior lights, you're talking about my tail lights? Well, as soon as I lost my dash board lights, etc... That's when my tail lights stopped working.. Again my break lights work.. So I'm hoping that switch has something to do with it?

As for removing the lower portion of the dash, is there a write up on that? I wouldn't mind using the help as well. You're not to far from me.

Let me know. thanks

Unread 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #20233
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Got waved at by not 1, but 2 wranglers yesterday. I was amazed.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #20234
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

got my can of moss green mopar spray paint !
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #20235
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
got my can of moss green mopar spray paint !
How big and how much
dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.