What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1321 - JeepForum.com

 89Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #19801 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM
ElCaminoManT
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Redid all my tierod ends didn't help my death wobble and maybe made it worse.
have an alignment done since redoing the TREs?


1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19802 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
BigJohn96ZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: farmersville
Posts: 286
Painted my differential covers white. We'll see how clean they can stay! lol

96 ZJ Laredo 4x4, 5.2l, 2.25" budget boost, 31 bfg m/t KM2
BigJohn96ZJ is offline  
post #19803 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM
cgcarpenter
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: west covina
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT

have an alignment done since redoing the TREs?
It's too late going in Tomorrow for that and tire balancing.
cgcarpenter is offline  
post #19804 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM
TRAVASS
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oconomowoc
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
Speaker controls on steering wheel now

Don't know if they work
Will find out tomorrow

Who needs some Vic cubbies
Ooooh! I need a cubby!!
TRAVASS is offline  
post #19805 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,727
Spent 12 hours yesterday trying to get the V8 out of the parts ZJ, to absolutely no avail. The hoist just won't lift it on its own. It's a 1-ton hoist, this powertrain does NOT weigh that much.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #19806 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
davigzj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monroe
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Spent 12 hours yesterday trying to get the V8 out of the parts ZJ, to absolutely no avail. The hoist just won't lift it on its own. It's a 1-ton hoist, this powertrain does NOT weigh that much.
Did u Unbolt the mounts? Just a thought...or check the fluid in the hoist if hydraulic?
davigzj is offline  
post #19807 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,727
The motor is completely free of the Jeep. I used a floor jack to get it off the mounts and it's just sitting on the floor jack right now. If I take the jack out, the hoist will just sink. And I topped off and bled the hoist ram, so it should be lifting. But it isn't.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #19808 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep
 
McCloudsZJ's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 2,729
Alternator finally **** the bed this morning on the way to work. That's what I get for putting it off. I knew it had at least a bad diode in it, but it stopped working totally. I limped into Advance running on battery juice only. I had him load test it and he confirmed my thoughts. Alternator was toast. So, $144 and about 15 minutes later I drove out of there with a reman 136A alternator in place. Definitely not what I wanted, but it'll do for now. I'd really like one of the 150A from Quadratec.

I guess it's not that bad. With high beams, efan, and the heat blasting the volt meter didn't drop below 14. That's good. Anyway, the pictures...

Out with the old, in with the new:


Everything lines up.


All buttoned up.

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline  
post #19809 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
bananaslug
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: upland
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Alternator finally **** the bed this morning on the way to work.
At least its shiny! Itll help make that engine bay look nicer lol. Damn good thing you had some extra cash after you bought that damn thing.
bananaslug is offline  
post #19810 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep
 
McCloudsZJ's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
At least its shiny! Itll help make that engine bay look nicer lol. Damn good thing you had some extra cash after you bought that damn thing.
I'd already planned on getting one because mine was on the fritz, but not a crappy, over priced reman. Oh well. And it's not staying shiney--it's getting painted.

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline  
post #19811 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Midnightluckey
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
The motor is completely free of the Jeep. I used a floor jack to get it off the mounts and it's just sitting on the floor jack right now. If I take the jack out, the hoist will just sink. And I topped off and bled the hoist ram, so it should be lifting. But it isn't.
Two options come to the front of my mind.
Is it inside a garage? Drill some lag bolts into a few different studs and you can easily use a couple ratchet straps to give it that little extra oomph, while still allowing you to roll the jeep away once the engine clears.
The other involves removing heavier accessories to lighten up the load. On a 5.2, pulling the water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, and accessory bracket should lighten it up a bit. Are you removing the whole drivetrain as one unit?

I guess what you really need to do is figure out how much over the apparent weight limit you are at the moment. Maybe some type of scale under the jack?

95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline  
post #19812 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
Two options come to the front of my mind.
Is it inside a garage? Drill some lag bolts into a few different studs and you can easily use a couple ratchet straps to give it that little extra oomph, while still allowing you to roll the jeep away once the engine clears.
The other involves removing heavier accessories to lighten up the load. On a 5.2, pulling the water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, and accessory bracket should lighten it up a bit. Are you removing the whole drivetrain as one unit?

I guess what you really need to do is figure out how much over the apparent weight limit you are at the moment. Maybe some type of scale under the jack?
According to my research the whole wet drivetrain plus accessories should be about 900lbs. My hoist is a new 1-ton hoist, set to its 3/4 ton position, so it should be able to provide 1500lbs of lifting force, which is 600 more than the drivetrain weight. It's not lifting it. I've bled and topped off the hydraulic fluid, but it still won't lift.

It's a harbor freight hoist, so I'm thinking the ram is defective. But, since my dad lost the receipt, I can't take it back on warranty, plus it'd be a pain to dismantle the whole hoist and lift it around the crippled donor jeep because we can't move it and it's in the way of the garage door. I'm gonna try and find a new ram for it.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #19813 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Afdude88
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

According to my research the whole wet drivetrain plus accessories should be about 900lbs. My hoist is a new 1-ton hoist, set to its 3/4 ton position, so it should be able to provide 1500lbs of lifting force, which is 600 more than the drivetrain weight. It's not lifting it. I've bled and topped off the hydraulic fluid, but it still won't lift.

It's a harbor freight hoist, so I'm thinking the ram is defective. But, since my dad lost the receipt, I can't take it back on warranty, plus it'd be a pain to dismantle the whole hoist and lift it around the crippled donor jeep because we can't move it and it's in the way of the garage door. I'm gonna try and find a new ram for it.
Here's a dumb question....is the screw used to lower the ram tightened all the way.....I've seen a guy almost rebuild a ram before because of this

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4

1998 Grand Cherokee: 4.0L I6, 42RE, np249 (ugh), stock (ugh)
Afdude88 is offline  
post #19814 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
tizzly
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: schenectady
Posts: 449
I put my new parts on today and went for a ride, the milage is up to 14.3mpg. Tons better than the 7mpg i was getting
tizzly is offline  
post #19815 of 44584 Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM
spidermonkey
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Two Harbors MN
Posts: 665
All I did was a few inline 360s in the fresh snow. At least I think they were, I couldn't see a thing.

98ZJ, 4.0,242, 8.8 Detroit, hp30, 3.5" lift, IRO LA's 4.56's, 33" Firestone MT's, custom rear bumper, ARB front, Engo E9000, factory skids

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkey-s-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Almost ran out of gas today SYCOHEMI WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 37 04-29-2016 10:36 PM
Let me tell you what I did not do today husker_zj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 03-19-2013 01:09 PM
got my 94 ZJ today, and did my first mod Saleen4971 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 09-22-2009 12:52 AM
Hey, Today is 5.9 day! CAHotRodBoy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 05-09-2005 09:35 PM
Have you had your V-8 today?? Myrtle Beach ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 04-30-2005 01:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome