What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1321 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #19801
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Redid all my tierod ends didn't help my death wobble and maybe made it worse.
have an alignment done since redoing the TREs?

1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #19802
BigJohn96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Painted my differential covers white. We'll see how clean they can stay! lol
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #19803
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT

have an alignment done since redoing the TREs?
It's too late going in Tomorrow for that and tire balancing.
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #19804
TRAVASS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
Speaker controls on steering wheel now

Don't know if they work
Will find out tomorrow

Who needs some Vic cubbies
Ooooh! I need a cubby!!
TRAVASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #19805
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Spent 12 hours yesterday trying to get the V8 out of the parts ZJ, to absolutely no avail. The hoist just won't lift it on its own. It's a 1-ton hoist, this powertrain does NOT weigh that much.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #19806
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
Spent 12 hours yesterday trying to get the V8 out of the parts ZJ, to absolutely no avail. The hoist just won't lift it on its own. It's a 1-ton hoist, this powertrain does NOT weigh that much.
Did u Unbolt the mounts? Just a thought...or check the fluid in the hoist if hydraulic?
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #19807
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

The motor is completely free of the Jeep. I used a floor jack to get it off the mounts and it's just sitting on the floor jack right now. If I take the jack out, the hoist will just sink. And I topped off and bled the hoist ram, so it should be lifting. But it isn't.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #19808
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Alternator finally **** the bed this morning on the way to work. That's what I get for putting it off. I knew it had at least a bad diode in it, but it stopped working totally. I limped into Advance running on battery juice only. I had him load test it and he confirmed my thoughts. Alternator was toast. So, $144 and about 15 minutes later I drove out of there with a reman 136A alternator in place. Definitely not what I wanted, but it'll do for now. I'd really like one of the 150A from Quadratec.

I guess it's not that bad. With high beams, efan, and the heat blasting the volt meter didn't drop below 14. That's good. Anyway, the pictures...

Out with the old, in with the new:

Everything lines up.

All buttoned up.
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #19809
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Alternator finally **** the bed this morning on the way to work.
At least its shiny! Itll help make that engine bay look nicer lol. Damn good thing you had some extra cash after you bought that damn thing.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #19810
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
At least its shiny! Itll help make that engine bay look nicer lol. Damn good thing you had some extra cash after you bought that damn thing.
I'd already planned on getting one because mine was on the fritz, but not a crappy, over priced reman. Oh well. And it's not staying shiney--it's getting painted.
In the works: H&Rs, Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #19811
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
The motor is completely free of the Jeep. I used a floor jack to get it off the mounts and it's just sitting on the floor jack right now. If I take the jack out, the hoist will just sink. And I topped off and bled the hoist ram, so it should be lifting. But it isn't.
Two options come to the front of my mind.
Is it inside a garage? Drill some lag bolts into a few different studs and you can easily use a couple ratchet straps to give it that little extra oomph, while still allowing you to roll the jeep away once the engine clears.
The other involves removing heavier accessories to lighten up the load. On a 5.2, pulling the water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, and accessory bracket should lighten it up a bit. Are you removing the whole drivetrain as one unit?

I guess what you really need to do is figure out how much over the apparent weight limit you are at the moment. Maybe some type of scale under the jack?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #19812
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
Two options come to the front of my mind.
Is it inside a garage? Drill some lag bolts into a few different studs and you can easily use a couple ratchet straps to give it that little extra oomph, while still allowing you to roll the jeep away once the engine clears.
The other involves removing heavier accessories to lighten up the load. On a 5.2, pulling the water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, and accessory bracket should lighten it up a bit. Are you removing the whole drivetrain as one unit?

I guess what you really need to do is figure out how much over the apparent weight limit you are at the moment. Maybe some type of scale under the jack?
According to my research the whole wet drivetrain plus accessories should be about 900lbs. My hoist is a new 1-ton hoist, set to its 3/4 ton position, so it should be able to provide 1500lbs of lifting force, which is 600 more than the drivetrain weight. It's not lifting it. I've bled and topped off the hydraulic fluid, but it still won't lift.

It's a harbor freight hoist, so I'm thinking the ram is defective. But, since my dad lost the receipt, I can't take it back on warranty, plus it'd be a pain to dismantle the whole hoist and lift it around the crippled donor jeep because we can't move it and it's in the way of the garage door. I'm gonna try and find a new ram for it.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #19813
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

According to my research the whole wet drivetrain plus accessories should be about 900lbs. My hoist is a new 1-ton hoist, set to its 3/4 ton position, so it should be able to provide 1500lbs of lifting force, which is 600 more than the drivetrain weight. It's not lifting it. I've bled and topped off the hydraulic fluid, but it still won't lift.

It's a harbor freight hoist, so I'm thinking the ram is defective. But, since my dad lost the receipt, I can't take it back on warranty, plus it'd be a pain to dismantle the whole hoist and lift it around the crippled donor jeep because we can't move it and it's in the way of the garage door. I'm gonna try and find a new ram for it.
Here's a dumb question....is the screw used to lower the ram tightened all the way.....I've seen a guy almost rebuild a ram before because of this

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #19814
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

I put my new parts on today and went for a ride, the milage is up to 14.3mpg. Tons better than the 7mpg i was getting
tizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #19815
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

All I did was a few inline 360s in the fresh snow. At least I think they were, I couldn't see a thing.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.