Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#25,941 ·
Drove Blackbird to work. No driveway die out that plagued it for 3 days straight last week.
Popped the hood & got under it once again (that's 4 driving days in a row now) to witness my claimed leaking water pump that the shop said was pouring out the weep hole last week when they kept it overnight to diagnose the die-while-driving issue (which they didn't...I'm pretty sure it's a ground out PCM from the heatshield set screws or maaaaybe a CPS slowly going faulty, since it's not electrical nor fuel based) but for now, every single time I've looked after 15mi. driving or more, it's bone dry, no leaks at all! No reduction in coolant in my overflow tank either after 45mi. driven, mostly stop & go traffic.

Was planning on swappin the H2O pump Saturday but not so sure I'm touching it if I can't visibly see a leak...

#25,942 ·
DRUMatthias said:
Drove Blackbird to work. No driveway die out that plagued it for 3 days straight last week. Popped the hood & got under it once again (that's 4 driving days in a row now) to witness my claimed leaking water pump that the shop said was pouring out the weep hole last week when they kept it overnight to diagnose the die-while-driving issue (which they didn't...I'm pretty sure it's a ground out PCM from the heatshield set screws or maaaaybe a CPS slowly going faulty, since it's not electrical nor fuel based) but for now, every single time I've looked after 15mi. driving or more, it's bone dry, no leaks at all! No reduction in coolant in my overflow tank either after 45mi. driven, mostly stop & go traffic. Was planning on swappin the H2O pump Saturday but not so sure I'm touching it if I can't visibly see a leak...
If it's not broken don't fix it. Especially on these zjs

#25,945 ·
Yesterday I cleaned up the front sway bar and plastic plate that covers it, installed new poly isolator bushings. Discovered that the links I got to replace my worn-out/broken stock ones were for the older style sway bar and one of my factory trans cooler lines is leaking a little at the quick connect fitting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25,947 ·
Pulled the bad starter and out to save the core charge and of nowhere came a flash storm. FML. But lifetime warranty on a starter that sees some gross life.

Ceaned the IAC, and discovered it is worn oddly. Did the voltage test on the TPS and it passed. And I replaced its valve cover gaskets. Took a good while because I am OCD about leaving gunk on parts I am reinstalling.

And topped her off. I'm getting right at 11mpg. But a lot of that is idling while working on AC, diagnosing, and just running it though it's paces.

Attachments

#25,948 ·
last night tore into the rear axle and replaced the limited slip clutch packs as they were TOAST! also swapped in some axle shafts from a late 90s XJ as the ends of mine were all sorts of worn/mushroomed. also replaced the pinion seal as it was leaking but it looks like ill be doing that again as the new one is leaking worse than the old one, wtf?!

#25,950 ·
last night tore into the rear axle and replaced the limited slip clutch packs as they were TOAST! also swapped in some axle shafts from a late 90s XJ as the ends of mine were all sorts of worn/mushroomed. also replaced the pinion seal as it was leaking but it looks like ill be doing that again as the new one is leaking worse than the old one, wtf?!
use the right seal?

#25,952 ·
txbass06 said:
Its even worse when you don't know the guy doing the work
Yup turns out my cat is hollow. Lol

Funny cuz the same guy installed it a year ago. He thought he was gonna get an extra 300 bucks. Too bad I still had my receipt. Lol he was pretty upset trying to think of every reason it was my fault. It was pretty funny how much his mood changed when he found out he was doing it almost free. Haha

#25,953 ·
Damn, 2 bedlined interiors in a row? I'm still rockin the 3-tone (grey, sunbleached & stained) OG carpet in mine! It'd be groovy to see pics of the inside once one or both of your ZJs get the bedlining treatment! :thumbsup:
Hey i'll be three once i do mine! (well not in a row, but it still counts right??) Already ripped the carpet and sanded, jus gotta wait till i get paid next week to buy the stuff :thumbsup:

Ot. Gave her the first bath in the past couple months.

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

#25,954 ·
DRUMatthias said:
Damn, 2 bedlined interiors in a row? I'm still rockin the 3-tone (grey, sunbleached & stained) OG carpet in mine! It'd be groovy to see pics of the inside once one or both of your ZJs get the bedlining treatment! :thumbsup:
Mines lined to check out my build thread.

#25,956 ·
looked at drop hitches for it at harbor freight on my lunch break. trying to decide if i'll need a 3" or 4" to tow a small uhaul this weekend.

#25,960 ·
Cleaned my niner, inside and out during lunch, then took some pictures.

Also, put some new shoes on my wife's ZJ over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum