What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1278 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #19156
LonestarZJ
1994 ZJ 

Respooled my winch today, had to pull this guy out a couple of days ago.

543786_582153698476732_245983202_n.jpg  
LonestarZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #19157
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Installed an overhead console and an auto-dim rear, works perfectly. Managed to get everything I needed from a part out in the classifieds. Tomorrow I'll be wiring up the temp sensor and using some rust converter on a few minor (but growing) blemishes.
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #19158
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

drove it to the junk yard to try to buy it some things... they only had 3 ZJs...

no 242 bezels to replace the cracked one... 2 of them were V8s the other... a 2WD
no wheels so i could go full size spare
no tow hooks... one had a hitch but no way to get it off unless i had some help and some jack stands (the rims it was propped up on were right under the hitch in the back)
pulled a headlight switch (the dash light dimmer on mine occasionally needs a smack) and a rear wiper motor

BTW i found that the driveshaft from a 2WD ZJ will work just fine to hold the liftgate up if the supports are shot
AmishFury is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #19159
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Used it to tow my "new daily driver", a 1999 Nissan Sentra, which decided to stop running today. No spark, fuel pump turns on, but there is a weird clicking from the evap canister purge control valve whenever I try to turn it over.

The Jeep did a great job, love the zj; if only it got better gas mileage.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #19160
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
That is an attractive idea... But finding parts for a 5.9 is more difficult than I'd initially imagined. Turns out they're all either blown or installed, local to me. Also 93 octane.

That said, the biggest problem for the thought of taking your parts niner is getting it to me lol. You're practically on the other side of the country.

Related note: How do people overheat their engines? Do they not pay attention to their temperature gauges? I've never had it happen to me and I used to drive a GMC truck with a huge hole in the radiator and a concurrent leak from the heater core.
The PO (for a month or so before I bought it) was a not-so-smart redneck.

The 93 octane thing is changeable, there's a dealer flash out there to de-tune it a little to allow 87 to be run, but IIRC, it hurts gas mileage a little so it may or may not be worth it.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #19161
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury
drove it to the junk yard to try to buy it some things... they only had 3 ZJs...

no 242 bezels to replace the cracked one... 2 of them were V8s the other... a 2WD
no wheels so i could go full size spare
no tow hooks... one had a hitch but no way to get it off unless i had some help and some jack stands (the rims it was propped up on were right under the hitch in the back)
pulled a headlight switch (the dash light dimmer on mine occasionally needs a smack) and a rear wiper motor

BTW i found that the driveshaft from a 2WD ZJ will work just fine to hold the liftgate up if the supports are shot
Take the cubby that's in place of the Vic. Someone on here will buy it I bet.
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #19162
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Bad vc will cause uneven tire ware up front correct? The insides on my fronts look a wee bit lower than the outsides. I'm probably gonna pull my font drive shaft untill I can get a 242 if that's the case
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #19163
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
Bad vc will cause uneven tire ware up front correct? The insides on my fronts look a wee bit lower than the outsides. I'm probably gonna pull my font drive shaft untill I can get a 242 if that's the case
Bad ball joints or poor alignment can do that too. The VC wore the tires on the outside edges with mine.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #19164
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Bad ball joints or poor alignment can do that too. The VC wore the tires on the outside edges with mine.
Ball joints are brand new. And it just got aligned. I think the alignment is bad because it pulls to the left. But the place I took it too said that its my tires. Which Is wrong because it did it on my old tires too. I have called them multiple times and they say its not there alignment. So I'm gonna take it to a different shop and have them check it. And I'll probably never go to this place again.
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #19165
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I'm pretty sure a bad VC will always yield outside wear on the front tires.
ejschultz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #19166
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz
I'm pretty sure a bad VC will always yield outside wear on the front tires.
It is on mine anyways
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #19167
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

It should just yield extra wear on the fronts. If it's wearing to the inside or outside, it's not because of the VC (although that'll make the wear worse). With a stock alignment, mine wore badly to the outside. Now, they wear pretty evenly or slightly to the inside.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #19168
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Before:

And After:

I'm happy with the way it turned out, replaced that dang vanity mirror light while I was at it. Didn't get to clean her up or take care of those little rust spots, got some more rain/snow .
Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #19169
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Got around to flushing the heater core.... now it's working extremely well. Also took a wire brush to all the pulleys and replaced the serpentine with a Dayco... damned belt squealing is finally gone.
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #19170
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Spent some time with the Jeep today because the weather was a little nicer. On the agenda: finally remove the AC drier and clean the throttle body and the IAC. Anybody know just how much oil in the intake justifies the plenum repair? There might be a thin coat on the inside, but there's definitely nothing sitting on the bottom like some people have.

Anyway, on to the cleaning.

All done...

IAC

These little quick disconnects are straight from Satan.

Logan's "Pile of **** That Has No Business In My Engine Bay"

Getting there...

All buttoned up. I want to get some plugs for the old AC holes. Just something to plug them up that looks clean. I also need to find somewhere new to run that coolant temp sensor wire that's just sitting there.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.