Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#25,482 ·
I want that "I DRIVE OVER STUFF" decal

Because there are a lot of those on the road. How many old ladies drive small foreign cars(not including the Asian ones)? Not very many.
A lot, actually. Can't tell you how many Corollas, Camries, Civics, Accords, and various Mazdas, Subarus, Mitsubishis, et al are driven by old ladies around here. I think they get into fewer accidents because they stop a lot quicker than these boats from America.

Of course, the real jab is at the women. It's always some 50-70 woman not paying any attention. Or some dumb chick texting while driving her Kia. How can you not see a Jeep? They're kinda REALLY BIG. How can you miss a red light? They're kinda REALLY BRIGHT RED.

#25,484 ·
Well, Saturday I finished rebuilding my rear control arms, and got a 1/4 of a mile down the road before a lady ran a red light and smashed my Zj. She ran her grand marquis into my drivers front tire at about 25, blew out the tire and mangled the rim, ripped up the lca mounts, bent the trackbar and mount, also bent the drivers C really bad.

I haven't decided whether my jeep is straight enough to just buy long arms and a hp30 and call it a day or if I have to replace the Zj entirely.
Dude! So Sry to hear that bro. I'm still dealing with the effects of my accident. Looked at my tires today and saw the driver side one is F'd. I'll put a pic up in a bit of the wear since the bang.

#25,488 ·
Well went to go change diff fluids...turns out last place that did them over torqued from diff bolts and one is rounded from them doing such. So can't get it off. Awesome.
Try to find some of these they work well for removing rounded off bolts. Used them at Mobil 1 when customers came in with stripped/rounded off drain plugs. You find one the proper size for the bolt head and hammer it on then when you apply torque to remove the bolt they bite into the bolt heads and grip it pretty well.

They usually come in kits of various sizes like this.

#25,489 ·
What's the plan? Looks like you got her pretty well stripped.:cheers2:
on the rotisserie to pull the axles and plate the unibody. Then it is going to get double triangulated 4 link rear and a 14FF axle, 3 link w/panhard front and a HP d44 axle.

then once it is back on the ground, going to be suspended by air shocks front/rear and it loosing most of its body to be replaced with a whole bundle of tubing.

Going from a cheap beater to a well built, hopefully very capable Juggy. All has to be done by middle of December as well, as it is actually a college final engineering project.

#25,490 ·
Looked at my tires today and saw the driver side one is F'd. I'll put a pic up in a bit of the wear since the bang.
Couldn't get a pic of the wear that didn't look like jus a pic of a tire.

Started poking around looking for the cause of my "pop, clunk"......again..... before I take it in for an alignment (so they don't try to BS me into replacing everything) . Found about a half inch of wiggle room in my front drive shaft at the diff....that can't be good! Can it? I don't really know.

#25,493 ·
Couldn't get a pic of the wear that didn't look like jus a pic of a tire.

Started poking around looking for the cause of my "pop, clunk"......again..... before I take it in for an alignment (so they don't try to BS me into replacing everything) . Found about a half inch of wiggle room in my front drive shaft at the diff....that can't be good! Can it? I don't really know.
I have this really bad clunking noise whenever I turn. I'm just gonna replace everything related to steering and all the bushings related to controlling the axle. Expensive, but it'll be a new Jeep when I'm done.

#25,496 ·
on the rotisserie to pull the axles and plate the unibody. Then it is going to get double triangulated 4 link rear and a 14FF axle, 3 link w/panhard front and a HP d44 axle.

then once it is back on the ground, going to be suspended by air shocks front/rear and it loosing most of its body to be replaced with a whole bundle of tubing.

Going from a cheap beater to a well built, hopefully very capable Juggy. All has to be done by middle of December as well, as it is actually a college final engineering project.
Awesome, keep us posted!

#25,497 ·
I have this really bad clunking noise whenever I turn. I'm just gonna replace everything related to steering and all the bushings related to controlling the axle. Expensive, but it'll be a new Jeep when I'm done.
Yea. That's the sound I got. Can't believe there not more info on the forum about it, aside from a lot if people having the same issue. You should so a detailed write up of everything you find while doing it. Could help out a few

#25,498 ·
Pictures

Look at the coils and control arms.

Buying new axles and long arming it is simple enough, and I'm thinking that the only real problem is the bent track bar mount at the frame. For the trac bar, I'm thinking that if I get a double shear bracket and run the bar 1/2" short, there really shouldn't be any alignment issues, right?

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Sculpture Gesture Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Gas Wood Metal Automotive wheel system

Tire blown:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Offending car:

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

#25,499 ·
Drained both differential fluids yesterday, RTVed and replaced the covers. Was letting them dry before I put oil in them. Decided to drain transfer case and transmission fluid/filter. Got dark and I was having a hard time with that dipstick tube. So I put a few bolts in and buttoned it up for tomorrow...

Its raining today :(

Sent from my GS3 using JeepForum