Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#25,443 ·
Put my hood scoops on(which also happen to hide all the hail dents it had)

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Car

Also changed my oil and welded up my 'new hitch'

This was it before:
Table Furniture Wood Automotive tire Floor

This is it now:
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper

I cut out the middle tube, replaced with 1/4'' tube and added 3/16'' flat steel to the sides for strength.($32 for the steel, so not bad at all) Once my shackles get here this week I'll figure out what I need to manufacture for brackets to hold them on for rear tow points(gonna hang from the bottom of the hitch) And I'll finally be able to install my gas tank skid too lol

#25,447 ·
Picked up that drag link.

This came in today:

A 20-year-old piece of discontinued modeling history. Note the yellowed original plastic wrap. I love getting kits this old that are out of production. Tamiya hasn't produced a Jeep kit in around 15 years if I'm not mistaken. Kinda weird to see this box, which I usually associate with sports cars, especially Japanese, with a big Grand Cherokee emblazoned all over it. The detail these Tamiya kits have is simply incredible, and I intend to expound upon that. This kit isn't getting started until I deem my own Jeep finished. Or at least as close as I'll ever get. There are a lot of parts I'll have to find from other kits (a 4.0l 1/4 engine for example- probably from the Tamiya YJ kit) and even more parts I'll have to fabricate (the late-style bumper and 7-slat grille). Some parts, I have no idea what I'll do about. Nobody makes wheels like the JK Moabs I have on my Jeep in this scale, and I have no idea if I'm gonna put in the work to completely fabricate a new-style interior. Maybe in the meantime, some solutions will come into existence. We'll see. Until then, this kit enters a lengthy, but eagerly-awaited backlog.

#25,448 ·

This came in today:

A 20-year-old piece of discontinued modeling history. Note the yellowed original plastic wrap. I love getting kits this old that are out of production. Tamiya hasn't produced a Jeep kit in around 15 years if I'm not mistaken. Kinda weird to see this box, which I usually associate with sports cars, especially Japanese, with a big Grand Cherokee emblazoned all over it. The detail these Tamiya kits have is simply incredible, and I intend to expound upon that. This kit isn't getting started until I deem my own Jeep finished. Or at least as close as I'll ever get. There are a lot of parts I'll have to find from other kits (a 4.0l 1/4 engine for example- probably from the Tamiya YJ kit) and even more parts I'll have to fabricate (the late-style bumper and 7-slat grille). Some parts, I have no idea what I'll do about. Nobody makes wheels like the JK Moabs I have on my Jeep in this scale, and I have no idea if I'm gonna put in the work to completely fabricate a new-style interior. Maybe in the meantime, some solutions will come into existence. We'll see. Until then, this kit enters a lengthy, but eagerly-awaited backlog.
Man, that's pretty cool. I haven't done a model in ages, used to make old hot rods and WWII fighters and bombers. You just might have inspired me to start up again. And just think how good they'll be now that I'm much older and have patience!

#25,449 ·
Man, that's pretty cool. I haven't done a model in ages, used to make old hot rods and WWII fighters and bombers. You just might have inspired me to start up again. And just think how good they'll be now that I'm much older and have patience!

Only reason we have any patience as we get older is we dont move as fast and fall asleep often...

I also loved doing models and collecting Match Box cars. Everytime I grab one for my grandson I cant help but remember the shelves of them sitting there in boxes. No blister packs, not freakin upc codes.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz oops. See what I mean.

#25,450 ·
That model is SWEET! Tamiya is way proud of there stuff when it is new, I can't even imagine what you paid for some 15-20 year old NIB model.
There was a guy on my local CL that was selling some supposedly never used but built Stadium Blitzers for about $100 each.

OT.
Friday I cleaned the interior (Ivory bar soap is amazing on leather BTW), restored the headlights, and washed it.

#25,452 ·
I replaced some lug nuts last week. Shortly thereafter, the GC developed a rear end knock that really concerned me. I thought it might be the differential but many threads here indicated that would be a different sound.

Inspected as many things as I could, based on some of threads here. Noticed left rear disk has some play on the studs unlike the right. When I put the wheels back on and tightened the nuts well the knock is gone. Lug nuts must have been a little loose and let the wheel clunk around.

I mostly lurk here but find it a tremendous help. The stalling issue had me at wit's end last year but the hose clamp fix has worked like a charm ever since.

Thanks to everyone who contributes all the wonderful tutorials about how to fix things. I am a firearms instructor/gun writer and the difference between this forum's usefulness and the BS of the gun forums is like night and day.

#25,454 ·

This came in today:

I hope you're going to do a build thread on that :D

#25,458 ·
Wheeled it!
If I could make the wifi on this POS GoPro work right, I'd have more to show from today....:drool:

Just a quick video of a section that is steeper and the rocks are bigger than it looks in the vid.

Anyway, enjoy!

'93 V8 ZJ with Upcountry package and a 3" BB. Don't knock a BB.... This thing goes like a mountain goat. :D