What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1203 - JeepForum.com

 76Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #18031 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I'm sorry, I seem to recall that 99.96% of all ZJs have electronically-controlled fuel injection and automatic transmissions, standard computer-controlled anti-locking brakes, as well as electronics that control all of the interior stuff. The whole damn thing is run by computers. All Grand Cherokees are run entirely by computers. (Except the 1600 manual ZJs, which are only mostly run by electronics)

This isn't the damn 1970s anymore, computers aren't a bad thing. A machine doesn't have to be made of ancient technology to be good. I wish I had money to buy a WK2 new right now, just so 20 years down the line I could prove you wrong. (And also because it would mean I'd have a truly amazing vehicle that highlights what modern engineering can do)
It will be more expensive to replace the parts than the truck will be worth. The ZJ still has fly by wire mixed with computers. By todays standards the ZJ is quite simple. Ever break the screen on a LCD? Cost more to replace than buying a new one. And today and 20 years from now I still don't care what you think.

PolkaPower is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18032 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
mandrews000
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyst

I used a freinds hand. Was easy peasy
My wife crawled under the jeep and used the air ratchet while I held the nut in place from above. Worked perfect!
mandrews000 is offline  
post #18033 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM
roughknight69
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jamestown ny
Posts: 1,904
Ordered kolak e-code headlights
roughknight69 is offline  
post #18034 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It will be more expensive to replace the parts than the truck will be worth. The ZJ still has fly by wire mixed with computers. By todays standards the ZJ is quite simple. Ever break the screen on a LCD? Cost more to replace than buying a new one. And today and 20 years from now I still don't care what you think.
Agreed. If I were to re-gear my WK, it would throw it into limp mode. The graphite on my electronic shifting module started wearing between contacts and threw it into limp mode. Why do I need an ESM? I don't! My transmission on my WK doesn't even have a dipstick because Mercedes said their transmission doesn't ever need to be worked on. I've already blown a seal on it, and I couldn't even service it myself! It's a 2wd, but if I wanted to convert it to 4wd I'd have to get a whole new computer and rewire it vs. just throwing a transfercase on and drilling a hole for the shifter.

I'd like to think that since it says Jeep on it, it'd last forever. With proper care, I'm sure it would... but is it worth it when the major components start failing?

/Rant

OT: Installed my winch! Superwinch LP8500 for $324 shipped on Amazon. I got it 3 days later with free shipping... crazy if you ask me. However, the one I got didn't have any hardware with it. Amazon wanted me to ship the whole winch back to swap it out, but I declined and just bought some hardware at Lowes. I have only used it to re-spool the drum, but have a big wheeling trip planned next weekend. Can't wait to use it.




'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/

North Texas Grands:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/...rands-1323367/

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide

Grand Slam Texas!:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...3/index19.html
DeansWings is offline  
post #18035 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM
roughknight69
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jamestown ny
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings

Agreed. If I were to re-gear my WK, it would throw it into limp mode. The graphite on my electronic shifting module started wearing between contacts and threw it into limp mode. Why do I need an ESM? I don't! My transmission on my WK doesn't even have a dipstick because Mercedes said their transmission doesn't ever need to be worked on. I've already blown a seal on it, and I couldn't even service it myself! It's a 2wd, but if I wanted to convert it to 4wd I'd have to get a whole new computer and rewire it vs. just throwing a transfercase on and drilling a hole for the shifter.

I'd like to think that since it says Jeep on it, it'd last forever. With proper care, I'm sure it would... but is it worth it when the major components start failing?

/Rant

OT: Installed my winch! Superwinch LP8500 for $324 shipped on Amazon. I got it 3 days later with free shipping... crazy if you ask me. However, the one I got didn't have any hardware with it. Amazon wanted me to ship the whole winch back to swap it out, but I declined and just bought some hardware at Lowes. I have only used it to re-spool the drum, but have a big wheeling trip planned next weekend. Can't wait to use it.
Lookin good! Mines hasn't let me down yet
roughknight69 is offline  
post #18036 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 PM
1slo_camaro
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape May/North East
Posts: 1,087
well was really dumb and figured what the hell..... around 830pm i decide id swap in my 2000 XJ intake and 60mm throttle body..... well by 9pm this was where i stayed. haha i couldnt get the dowels to line up and couldnt get the intake to sit flat for whatever reason i sand blasted the intake a few weeks ago and painted it black.... im gonna keep an eye out for intakes in junkyards and sand blast them and sell them so hopefully i can find some and hook people up instead of selling them for 100-150 like people do all the time



the next day after work after about 20 minutes i had it lined up and everything hooked up. i had one extra vaccuum port and had to add about 6 inches of wire onto one plug to make it meet the sensor on the intake.





then after i got done i was missing a bolt for the fuel rail... no biggie ill move the jeep and find it..... well my tire found it and tonight the rear tire picked something up 2 days and 2 tire plugs


1998 ZJ~~V.r 4~~4.0 with a bunch of fancy stuff that makes it look pretty sitting in the driveway.
PM me for 99+ intake manifolds for sale
$125-sandblasted and painted and shipped
1slo_camaro is offline  
post #18037 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Roskoe
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Palm Coast
Posts: 543
Get A 12 pack while your out to .

"aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline  
post #18038 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
1slo_camaro
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape May/North East
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoe View Post
Get A 12 pack while your out to .
drank wayyyyyyyy more then enough last night to need another 12 pack..... HAHA

1998 ZJ~~V.r 4~~4.0 with a bunch of fancy stuff that makes it look pretty sitting in the driveway.
PM me for 99+ intake manifolds for sale
$125-sandblasted and painted and shipped
1slo_camaro is offline  
post #18039 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
backyardjeeper
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: raytown
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
well was really dumb and figured what the hell..... around 830pm i decide id swap in my 2000 XJ intake and 60mm throttle body..... well by 9pm this was where i stayed. haha i couldnt get the dowels to line up and couldnt get the intake to sit flat for whatever reason i sand blasted the intake a few weeks ago and painted it black.... im gonna keep an eye out for intakes in junkyards and sand blast them and sell them so hopefully i can find some and hook people up instead of selling them for 100-150 like people do all the time

the next day after work after about 20 minutes i had it lined up and everything hooked up. i had one extra vaccuum port and had to add about 6 inches of wire onto one plug to make it meet the sensor on the intake.

then after i got done i was missing a bolt for the fuel rail... no biggie ill move the jeep and find it..... well my tire found it and tonight the rear tire picked something up 2 days and 2 tire plugs
Does an xj intake add more power? Certainly looks cooler.

92 xj on 235/75/15's. $2000 into a $400 dollar jeep.
backyardjeeper is offline  
post #18040 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 PM
1slo_camaro
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape May/North East
Posts: 1,087
its the 99+ year or newer that adds the airflow. i believe they stopped putting 4.0s in the grand after 98. but i found mine in the junkyard for 20 bucks, sandblasted it and painted it and less then an hour of time and 40 bucks in supplies i have that lol

but yes between that and the 60mm throttle body it was very noticeable difference.

1998 ZJ~~V.r 4~~4.0 with a bunch of fancy stuff that makes it look pretty sitting in the driveway.
PM me for 99+ intake manifolds for sale
$125-sandblasted and painted and shipped
1slo_camaro is offline  
post #18041 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
its the 99+ year or newer that adds the airflow. i believe they stopped putting 4.0s in the grand after 98. but i found mine in the junkyard for 20 bucks, sandblasted it and painted it and less then an hour of time and 40 bucks in supplies i have that lol

but yes between that and the 60mm throttle body it was very noticeable difference.
Grands had 4.0s through 04.

From some of the testing that's been done, the newer (99+) intake changes the powerband and makes it feel better, but doesn't actually add any real power, unless you've got other supporting mods (preferably at least headers, TB, exhaust, and more than that wouldn't hurt).
comptiger5000 is offline  
post #18042 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,727
I bet people had the same opinions of the ZJ, 20 years ago, that a lot of you guys have of the WK2 right now. I mean if I look at my ZJ the wrong way it goes into limp mode and I've replaced the PCM 3 times and done a number of sensors. I'm calling bias.

Anyway today I drove it to places, filled up the tank, and pondered taking my t-case linkage apart and fixing it because I've a sneaking suspicion it keeps partially engaging. Also I thought about adjusting my parking brake cable, repairing the headlight switch, and changing my diff oil. Oh the things I wish I wasn't too lazy and poor to do.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition

Signature rules are dumb
SchizophrenicMC is offline  
post #18043 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM
cgcarpenter
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: west covina
Posts: 758
Just got back from a 3 say trip to northwest Arizona where I spent approximately 20 hours out on trails including a very fun and difficult one called sleeping princess. Great trip. Pit approximately 1200 miles on her with out a hiccup... Knock on wood.
cgcarpenter is offline  
post #18044 of 44359 Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM
1slo_camaro
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape May/North East
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Grands had 4.0s through 04.

From some of the testing that's been done, the newer (99+) intake changes the powerband and makes it feel better, but doesn't actually add any real power, unless you've got other supporting mods (preferably at least headers, TB, exhaust, and more than that wouldn't hurt).
thankyou for clarifying that for me. i have a 60mm TB, TB spacer, injectors, header, flowmaster high flow cat, CAI. all the typical bolt ons and starting to build a stroker out of my spare motor. i would say it was more the throttle body that i felt the power difference from so i cant say for sure the intake helped. but it does look better and i got a great deal on it. so why not haha

1998 ZJ~~V.r 4~~4.0 with a bunch of fancy stuff that makes it look pretty sitting in the driveway.
PM me for 99+ intake manifolds for sale
$125-sandblasted and painted and shipped
1slo_camaro is offline  
post #18045 of 44359 Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 AM
970001zj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,667
Garage
so a 60 year old dude maybe tried to get an insurance claim out of me yesterday

green jeeps with 4 extra lights and O W L 's are hard to see i guess

i pulled ahead and into the other lane so he didnt hurt my baby then brake checked the

diaper off that old fool

he passed and i thought , dang ! he shoulda tasted the trailer hitch that wouldve been B.A.

then a minute later i saw him at a light , so i slipped it into neutral as i was creeping up

beside him and gave the mighty clutch fanned 5.2 a rev up to 5,000 rpm !!!

he turned his head so fast it think it hurt him

and his wife popped up in her seat and almost hit the ceiling of theyr little nissan whatever

just thought i would share

97 zj orvis/04 wj ltd
970001zj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
1996maroonzjf
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Almost ran out of gas today SYCOHEMI WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 37 04-29-2016 10:36 PM
Let me tell you what I did not do today husker_zj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 03-19-2013 01:09 PM
got my 94 ZJ today, and did my first mod Saleen4971 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 10 09-22-2009 12:52 AM
Hey, Today is 5.9 day! CAHotRodBoy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 05-09-2005 09:35 PM
Have you had your V-8 today?? Myrtle Beach ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 04-30-2005 01:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome