What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1203 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #18031
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I'm sorry, I seem to recall that 99.96% of all ZJs have electronically-controlled fuel injection and automatic transmissions, standard computer-controlled anti-locking brakes, as well as electronics that control all of the interior stuff. The whole damn thing is run by computers. All Grand Cherokees are run entirely by computers. (Except the 1600 manual ZJs, which are only mostly run by electronics)

This isn't the damn 1970s anymore, computers aren't a bad thing. A machine doesn't have to be made of ancient technology to be good. I wish I had money to buy a WK2 new right now, just so 20 years down the line I could prove you wrong. (And also because it would mean I'd have a truly amazing vehicle that highlights what modern engineering can do)
It will be more expensive to replace the parts than the truck will be worth. The ZJ still has fly by wire mixed with computers. By todays standards the ZJ is quite simple. Ever break the screen on a LCD? Cost more to replace than buying a new one. And today and 20 years from now I still don't care what you think.

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #18032
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyst

I used a freinds hand. Was easy peasy
My wife crawled under the jeep and used the air ratchet while I held the nut in place from above. Worked perfect!
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #18033
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Ordered kolak e-code headlights
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #18034
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It will be more expensive to replace the parts than the truck will be worth. The ZJ still has fly by wire mixed with computers. By todays standards the ZJ is quite simple. Ever break the screen on a LCD? Cost more to replace than buying a new one. And today and 20 years from now I still don't care what you think.
Agreed. If I were to re-gear my WK, it would throw it into limp mode. The graphite on my electronic shifting module started wearing between contacts and threw it into limp mode. Why do I need an ESM? I don't! My transmission on my WK doesn't even have a dipstick because Mercedes said their transmission doesn't ever need to be worked on. I've already blown a seal on it, and I couldn't even service it myself! It's a 2wd, but if I wanted to convert it to 4wd I'd have to get a whole new computer and rewire it vs. just throwing a transfercase on and drilling a hole for the shifter.

I'd like to think that since it says Jeep on it, it'd last forever. With proper care, I'm sure it would... but is it worth it when the major components start failing?

/Rant

OT: Installed my winch! Superwinch LP8500 for $324 shipped on Amazon. I got it 3 days later with free shipping... crazy if you ask me. However, the one I got didn't have any hardware with it. Amazon wanted me to ship the whole winch back to swap it out, but I declined and just bought some hardware at Lowes. I have only used it to re-spool the drum, but have a big wheeling trip planned next weekend. Can't wait to use it.

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #18035
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings

Agreed. If I were to re-gear my WK, it would throw it into limp mode. The graphite on my electronic shifting module started wearing between contacts and threw it into limp mode. Why do I need an ESM? I don't! My transmission on my WK doesn't even have a dipstick because Mercedes said their transmission doesn't ever need to be worked on. I've already blown a seal on it, and I couldn't even service it myself! It's a 2wd, but if I wanted to convert it to 4wd I'd have to get a whole new computer and rewire it vs. just throwing a transfercase on and drilling a hole for the shifter.

I'd like to think that since it says Jeep on it, it'd last forever. With proper care, I'm sure it would... but is it worth it when the major components start failing?

/Rant

OT: Installed my winch! Superwinch LP8500 for $324 shipped on Amazon. I got it 3 days later with free shipping... crazy if you ask me. However, the one I got didn't have any hardware with it. Amazon wanted me to ship the whole winch back to swap it out, but I declined and just bought some hardware at Lowes. I have only used it to re-spool the drum, but have a big wheeling trip planned next weekend. Can't wait to use it.
Lookin good! Mines hasn't let me down yet
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #18036
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

well was really dumb and figured what the hell..... around 830pm i decide id swap in my 2000 XJ intake and 60mm throttle body..... well by 9pm this was where i stayed. haha i couldnt get the dowels to line up and couldnt get the intake to sit flat for whatever reason i sand blasted the intake a few weeks ago and painted it black.... im gonna keep an eye out for intakes in junkyards and sand blast them and sell them so hopefully i can find some and hook people up instead of selling them for 100-150 like people do all the time

the next day after work after about 20 minutes i had it lined up and everything hooked up. i had one extra vaccuum port and had to add about 6 inches of wire onto one plug to make it meet the sensor on the intake.

then after i got done i was missing a bolt for the fuel rail... no biggie ill move the jeep and find it..... well my tire found it and tonight the rear tire picked something up 2 days and 2 tire plugs

1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #18037
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Get A 12 pack while your out to .

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #18038
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoe View Post
Get A 12 pack while your out to .
drank wayyyyyyyy more then enough last night to need another 12 pack..... HAHA
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #18039
backyardjeeper
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
well was really dumb and figured what the hell..... around 830pm i decide id swap in my 2000 XJ intake and 60mm throttle body..... well by 9pm this was where i stayed. haha i couldnt get the dowels to line up and couldnt get the intake to sit flat for whatever reason i sand blasted the intake a few weeks ago and painted it black.... im gonna keep an eye out for intakes in junkyards and sand blast them and sell them so hopefully i can find some and hook people up instead of selling them for 100-150 like people do all the time

the next day after work after about 20 minutes i had it lined up and everything hooked up. i had one extra vaccuum port and had to add about 6 inches of wire onto one plug to make it meet the sensor on the intake.

then after i got done i was missing a bolt for the fuel rail... no biggie ill move the jeep and find it..... well my tire found it and tonight the rear tire picked something up 2 days and 2 tire plugs
Does an xj intake add more power? Certainly looks cooler.
..().)…..().)---).)…….… 2-speed electric taurus fan. Neon injector upgrade.
backyardjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #18040
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

its the 99+ year or newer that adds the airflow. i believe they stopped putting 4.0s in the grand after 98. but i found mine in the junkyard for 20 bucks, sandblasted it and painted it and less then an hour of time and 40 bucks in supplies i have that lol

but yes between that and the 60mm throttle body it was very noticeable difference.
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #18041
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
its the 99+ year or newer that adds the airflow. i believe they stopped putting 4.0s in the grand after 98. but i found mine in the junkyard for 20 bucks, sandblasted it and painted it and less then an hour of time and 40 bucks in supplies i have that lol

but yes between that and the 60mm throttle body it was very noticeable difference.
Grands had 4.0s through 04.

From some of the testing that's been done, the newer (99+) intake changes the powerband and makes it feel better, but doesn't actually add any real power, unless you've got other supporting mods (preferably at least headers, TB, exhaust, and more than that wouldn't hurt).
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #18042
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I bet people had the same opinions of the ZJ, 20 years ago, that a lot of you guys have of the WK2 right now. I mean if I look at my ZJ the wrong way it goes into limp mode and I've replaced the PCM 3 times and done a number of sensors. I'm calling bias.

Anyway today I drove it to places, filled up the tank, and pondered taking my t-case linkage apart and fixing it because I've a sneaking suspicion it keeps partially engaging. Also I thought about adjusting my parking brake cable, repairing the headlight switch, and changing my diff oil. Oh the things I wish I wasn't too lazy and poor to do.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #18043
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Just got back from a 3 say trip to northwest Arizona where I spent approximately 20 hours out on trails including a very fun and difficult one called sleeping princess. Great trip. Pit approximately 1200 miles on her with out a hiccup... Knock on wood.
cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #18044
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Grands had 4.0s through 04.

From some of the testing that's been done, the newer (99+) intake changes the powerband and makes it feel better, but doesn't actually add any real power, unless you've got other supporting mods (preferably at least headers, TB, exhaust, and more than that wouldn't hurt).
thankyou for clarifying that for me. i have a 60mm TB, TB spacer, injectors, header, flowmaster high flow cat, CAI. all the typical bolt ons and starting to build a stroker out of my spare motor. i would say it was more the throttle body that i felt the power difference from so i cant say for sure the intake helped. but it does look better and i got a great deal on it. so why not haha
Unread 12-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #18045
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

so a 60 year old dude maybe tried to get an insurance claim out of me yesterday

green jeeps with 4 extra lights and O W L 's are hard to see i guess

i pulled ahead and into the other lane so he didnt hurt my baby then brake checked the

diaper off that old fool

he passed and i thought , dang ! he shoulda tasted the trailer hitch that wouldve been B.A.

then a minute later i saw him at a light , so i slipped it into neutral as i was creeping up

beside him and gave the mighty clutch fanned 5.2 a rev up to 5,000 rpm !!!

he turned his head so fast it think it hurt him

and his wife popped up in her seat and almost hit the ceiling of theyr little nissan whatever

just thought i would share

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.