Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#23,901 ·
Adjusted my TV cable three clicks in and she shifts seamlessly. I did a fluid and filter change and tightened the bands and did the unhook and mash the throttle in method of tightening the TV cable but it held gears til 3000 rpms under light acceleration and would shift hard when it did. Also it would periodically start to stutter at different times like it was hunting for a gear and never committing. Sometimes up hills, sometimes at high speeds, sometimes at low speeds. So far since the adjustment there has been no stuttering and it shifts smoothly whether under light acceleration or heavy. I was worried for a bit I'd done something wrong and ruined a perfectly good trans :) so far, so good
I need to do a fluid filter change. Blah

#23,902 ·
moparlover1992 said:
Adjusted my TV cable three clicks in and she shifts seamlessly. I did a fluid and filter change and tightened the bands and did the unhook and mash the throttle in method of tightening the TV cable but it held gears til 3000 rpms under light acceleration and would shift hard when it did. Also it would periodically start to stutter at different times like it was hunting for a gear and never committing. Sometimes up hills, sometimes at high speeds, sometimes at low speeds. So far since the adjustment there has been no stuttering and it shifts smoothly whether under light acceleration or heavy. I was worried for a bit I'd done something wrong and ruined a perfectly good trans :) so far, so good
Slid it towards the throttle body?

#23,904 ·
I need to do a fluid filter change. Blah
View it as cheap insurance against a $2000+ repair and it becomes not so bad lol. Would definitely recommend adjusting the bands as well. Mine had a lot of slack...

#23,913 ·
How much do you plan on towing with a 4.0l and how far? I've read a lot of people say they can manage it but it just seems like it would be sluggish as hell and idk how my brakes could handle it.

#23,915 ·
Missed out on a set of nearly new u-joint axles for the front of mine by about an hour. Someone had pulled one of them this morning from the local jy. Went ahead and grabbed the other one in hopes I can find the pass side in the near future.
Ordered a new cv for the drivers side. It'll be here in the morning so I'll start on that then

#23,916 ·
Back together now

Replaced power steering pump, pulley, reservoir, pressure hose and return hose. Removed broken crappy hackjob k&n cold air intake with stock air cleaner box and hose ($15 at pick n pull WOOT!). Had to order throttle body air inlet bonnet online $54 shipped. Fixed air intake for about $90 including filter vs average $275 or so for full cold air intake kit. Now i'm working on the cooling system. Hot hose on top, cool hose on bottom and reservoir boils. Radiator not clogged, hoses not clogged, inlet tube not clogged, water pump good, replaced thermostat and coolant temp sensor. I think there is major air in system so borrowed a vacuum from a friend to see if pressure drops before filling, then i'll know there is a leak somewhere. If that happens, i'll fill with water and do pressure test to try and find the leak and go from there. If anyone else has ideas feel free to share! Could be overlooking something easy. This is my first jeep and i'm barely getting started on her. :)
Got it all back together and the vacuum helped. There is a tiny pinhole somewhere in the radiator so the pressure would slowly drop as air got in the system but otherwise she's tight. Had the coolant all ready to go so after vacuuming did the connector swap and let it suck all the coolant in. Getting the air out helped and now the coolant flows through the entire system as it should. Idling, city and highway driving or sitting with the foot on the gas to 2500 rpms for a while she never gets beyond 210 degrees. While I was in there I found what looks like a small leak in the timing cover gasket. It's only a drip at a time.... might leave that alone for a while. Gonna need a big chunk of time and serious motivation to tear everything off and get in there to replace it.

#23,918 ·
Last night I went to set my toe in, however it was already within spec when I measured it so I centered my steering wheel and called it a day. The only thing left that can be causing my DW is ball joints and needing to get a professional alignment done (ive already replaced all other steering components except the steering box) so I'm hoping to have enough extra cash after this coming pay check to get the ball joints changed then hopefully the following check I will be able to take it to a local 4 wheel shop to have it aligned.