What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1186 - JeepForum.com
 243Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #17776 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Not today, but thursday (lol) I washed all the salt off of it. Also remembered that I never posted my lisence plate light.

Attached Thumbnails
2012-11-28 16.33.11.jpg   2012-11-28 16.42.28.jpg  

94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD16 View Post
I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17777 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrews000

I used cardboard shims.... I worked pretty well!

On topic the 249 is about out of the TSi, the 242 is rebuilt and ready to go in it. But... I think I should do the rear main and an gasket while I have it this far apart. The rear main is leaking pretty good, so off to Advance to see what they have and pickup my 2nd trans seal. FYI National brand seals are now made by Moog and carry a lifetime warranty!

I love my southern jeeps, I didn't have to use PB blaster on a thing. Even the exhaust header collector and y pipe were a breeze!
Got the 249 out, new trans seal installed, and reinstalled the 4wd shift linkage into frame side. This has been out since I've owned the jeep. Now to do some reading about rear main removal... I have an exciting day tomorrow as I want to drive it monday
Attached Thumbnails
image-4041308773.jpg   image-2977035626.jpg   image-2767285776.jpg   image-3953018863.jpg   image-3528788353.jpg  

image-2121934703.jpg  
post #17778 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
torchd
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
Not today, but thursday (lol) I washed all the salt off of it. Also remembered that I never posted my lisence plate light.
I like your TJ gas bezel mod!

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2" BB Pucks | SkyJacker Hydro Shocks | Rubicon Wheels | Cooper 245/75/16 Tires

2002 Trans Am
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ

post #17779 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrews000 View Post
Got the 249 out, new trans seal installed, and reinstalled the 4wd shift linkage into frame side. This has been out since I've owned the jeep. Now to do some reading about rear main removal... I have an exciting day tomorrow as I want to drive it monday
Rear main sucks. Get a brass punch for hammering out the old seal. Dont lube it with soap like a redneck, use engine assembly lube. Dont forget to put back the crankshaft shim into the bearing cap like i did
post #17780 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Garage
i aimed all the lights

the bright far area is where my amber fogs are set to
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF5145.JPG  

97 zj orvis/04 wj ltd/02 lancer oz rally/85 rx7 gs
post #17781 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 PM
AnotherRedZj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
How do you go about replacing them? This is really annoying
Inside the doors behind the panels. Really not hard. I spent more time trying to keep the weather seal intact then messing with the actuators. Their not cheap though. Spent $400 easy on all for doors! Worth it to me though I know there good for another 20yrs. Start with the drivers first though, it could be causing problems in all the doors as it controls them all.

96 ZJ sittin up 6" on 35's with 4:56's and a 12k winch. Cuz...why the hell not!?
post #17782 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
I like your TJ gas bezel mod!
Thanks dude.

Forgot to mention, this morning, me and my dad are cruising down the highway and a big rig pulls up next to me and matches my speed. My dad looks up at him and notices hes eyeballing the jeep. Next time my dad looks at him hes taking a picture with his phone talk about sketchy.

Oh, and I hope I didn't break some kind of seal or something. I just got pulled over. AGAIN. 3rd time in 2 months. But not for speeding this time. No headlights. I started my jeep before I left work to let it warm up and I turned the parking lights on (usually on auto). Well, when I left work, I never turned them back on (quite a few street lights, was constantly behind someone, never noticed they were off). Guy I closed with was in front of me and was tapping his brakes and turning on his flashers trying to tell me to turn them on, but I'm too oblivious to that kind of **** to realize that. Well, he lives about half a mile down the road, and literally about 10 seconds after I passed him, I turned a corner and passed a cop that had pulled someone over on the other side of the road. Right after I passed him, he came after me. Didn't even bother turning his lights of. only gave me a written warning, though. He asked about my zombie sticker too lol.

94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD16 View Post
I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.
post #17783 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 08:12 PM
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug

Rear main sucks. Get a brass punch for hammering out the old seal. Dont lube it with soap like a redneck, use engine assembly lube. Dont forget to put back the crankshaft shim into the bearing cap like i did
Lol I was reading the fsm just to verify torque specs before I start in the am and low and behold , the Chrysler FSM for a 4.0 recommends soap for installation of the lower seal... Procedure hasn't been revised?

The 5.2 recommends oil!
Attached Thumbnails
image-321246348.jpg  
post #17784 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Im sure they are both fine. Its just not the type of thing you ever want to do ever again. Everything I read said to use the Fel-Pro pan gasket and that it didnt need RTV, but I used grey RTV on both sides of the gasket. That mofo aint leaking ever again.
post #17785 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Washed the salt off it from last night's snow. And last night, I discovered that with the UC coils in the back, stock coils up front, extra caster and a little extra negative camber up front, it's a total drift machine in the white stuff. When it's on icy hardpack, it's damn near impossible to take a turn without drifting it. However, it's not too hard to keep the tail from swinging out (let it rotate through the turn and get it to hook back up as you come out of the turn).

When you do kick the tail out, it's a lot smoother and more controllable than it used to be, especially when you go to bring it back in. Holding 45* or more of angle to your direction of travel is just downright easy Maybe I'll have to find a parking lot and practice backwards corner entries like a drift car next time it snows

Hopefully this means it won't understeer like hell in 4wd anymore and will actually be fun (snow wasn't deep enough to check, so this was all in 2wd). I don't know how it works with 4fulltime, as I find that mode useless and annoying (handling dynamic in snow is the worst of 2wd combined with the worst of 4pt), so I just act like it's not there.
post #17786 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 PM
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug
Im sure they are both fine. Its just not the type of thing you ever want to do ever again. Everything I read said to use the Fel-Pro pan gasket and that it didnt need RTV, but I used grey RTV on both sides of the gasket. That mofo aint leaking ever again.
I have the Felpro gasket and it says to use in the corners... The pan gasket leaks at the front, most likely because the axle was pushed against it when the Po got T-boned. I'm hoping a new gasket will stop that slow leak and while I'm at I'm going to so the rear main. This is why I like to have my wife look under the Jeep when I work on it. If she sees it our it happens to her, my budget gets larger. This was originally just supposed to be a 249-242 swap. If I finish this weekend next week Will be the no/low 12V power for antilock breaks...
post #17787 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrews000

I have the Felpro gasket and it says to use in the corners... The pan gasket leaks at the front, most likely because the axle was pushed against it when the Po got T-boned. I'm hoping a new gasket will stop that slow leak and while I'm at I'm going to so the rear main. This is why I like to have my wife look under the Jeep when I work on it. If she sees it our it happens to her, my budget gets larger. This was originally just supposed to be a 249-242 swap. If I finish this weekend next week Will be the no/low 12V power for antilock breaks...
Edit: hopefully tomorrow I can demonstrate the difficulty of removing the oil pan with stock suspension.... ;-)
post #17788 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713

Thanks dude.

Forgot to mention, this morning, me and my dad are cruising down the highway and a big rig pulls up next to me and matches my speed. My dad looks up at him and notices hes eyeballing the jeep. Next time my dad looks at him hes taking a picture with his phone talk about sketchy.

Oh, and I hope I didn't break some kind of seal or something. I just got pulled over. AGAIN. 3rd time in 2 months. But not for speeding this time. No headlights. I started my jeep before I left work to let it warm up and I turned the parking lights on (usually on auto). Well, when I left work, I never turned them back on (quite a few street lights, was constantly behind someone, never noticed they were off). Guy I closed with was in front of me and was tapping his brakes and turning on his flashers trying to tell me to turn them on, but I'm too oblivious to that kind of **** to realize that. Well, he lives about half a mile down the road, and literally about 10 seconds after I passed him, I turned a corner and passed a cop that had pulled someone over on the other side of the road. Right after I passed him, he came after me. Didn't even bother turning his lights of. only gave me a written warning, though. He asked about my zombie sticker too lol.
I still haven't tried to see if my auto lights turn off after I get out and lock the car. I don't even have a clicker anymore since my power locks are all f****d up. But I get stopped by random people all the time asking about my zombie and my "my jeep doesn't leak, it marks its territory" sticker

His:00 TJ "Fiona" stuff/stuff/stuff
95 ZJ 3.5" w/242 swap-Sold
Hers: 15 JK Sahara-3" Teraflex
post #17789 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Sparkchaser1998
1998 ZJ 

I spent this weekend unbolting and cleaning parts of my old engine and installing on the new reman engine. This afternoon's job was the kegger plenum pan. I wish I could afford to put on one of those nice aluminum ones but I'll just have to make this one last a while. The new gasket was a metal one with a ridge down the middle. I was expecting the Fel-Pro rubberized type but the gasket kit the reman company supplied was "EngineTech-The Engine Builder's Source, With Fire Seal Technology". Never heard of that one! They seem like good enough gaskets, and supposed to be endorsed by IROC (International Race of Champions). There were no instructions so I used Permatex tacky gasket spray, the red stuff, on the plenum gasket and both adjoining surfaces. After torquing down to 84 in/lbs, I followed up by applying black RTV around the exposed edge of the plenum pan-to-manifold joint. So, hopefully there won't ever be a leak there again. BTW, this vehicle had 126,000 miles on it when it lost a rod bearing, and it looked like someone had already done the plenum gasket and it was leaking again. If I ever do it again, I may custom make a new plenum pan , and maybe make it with a dished center for more volume inside the kegger. From what I have read, the kegger should have about the same cubic inch capacity as the cubic inches of the engine it's bolted to, and Chrysler made it to be halfway between 318 and 360 cubic inches so they could use it on both engines. On this kegger, I also did NO modifications. I want to keep low end torque and I haven't seen enough real data (dyno sheets etc.) to decide what I want to do about it. My main objective is maximum fuel economy from this 5.9, and low RPM torque is important for that. I know that the 5.9 probably isn't the best choice of vehicle for fuel economy, but I'm working with what I've got, and I believe this vehicle fits my other needs better than some other choices. One more weekend and the engine should be in and running! Can't wait!
post #17790 of 47963 Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
davigzj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

zombie and my "my jeep doesn't leak, it marks its territory" sticker
Lmao...nice where do i get mine..lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.