Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#22,961 ·
underpowered said:
and yes, you can still flex on 36's and a BB
I'd you have to trim anything?

:rofl:

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

#22,965 ·
Only the back though right? With no fenders up front did you just have to hammer in pinch welds?

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
In all seriousness, front is hammered pinch seam, some sheetmetal work in front of the tire as well as a BFH to the bottom of the wheel well/fire wall to get more steering angle from it.

the rear, cut the entire rear "flare" off the quarter panel, some hammer work to the rocker and fender lip. Needs more bump stop, as in this pic the body is resting on the rear tire, which in turn destroyed a D35 shaft.

31's on uc and 2.25 bb. That's flex lol
ran that setup for years with extended rear post as the rear coils kept dropping out.

#22,968 ·
In all seriousness, front is hammered pinch seam, some sheetmetal work in front of the tire as well as a BFH to the bottom of the wheel well/fire wall to get more steering angle from it.

the rear, cut the entire rear "flare" off the quarter panel, some hammer work to the rocker and fender lip. Needs more bump stop, as in this pic the body is resting on the rear tire, which in turn destroyed a D35 shaft.

ran that setup for years with extended rear post as the rear coils kept dropping out.
That's a little trimming. Have extended rear posts, knock on wood, I've never dropped a coil

#22,969 ·
I get the physics of "dropping a coil" but how can you do it on our zj's. My coils have a retaining tab the keeps the bottom of the coil from moving. Does the tab not prevent coils from leaving the axle?

#22,970 ·
I get the physics of "dropping a coil" but how can you do it on our zj's. My coils have a retaining tab the keeps the bottom of the coil from moving. Does the tab not prevent coils from leaving the axle?

Would be in the rear from a short post cause of the BB ..u would need to extend the post in the middle of the spring n BB ...

#22,972 ·
But wouldnt the tab keep the spring in place until the body came back down?

yes the tab keeps the coil from falling all teh way out, but it does not always self align when it goes back up so coil does not land where it should. when this happens, it will pop the coil out of the tab.

since i extended the post, i have had no issues dropping coils.

I extended them with nylon round stock i turned down on a lathe to be a press fit inside the stock post to a positive stop the same OD as the stock post. cheap and works great.

#22,973 ·
yes the tab keeps the coil from falling all teh way out, but it does not always self align when it goes back up so coil does not land where it should. when this happens, it will pop the coil out of the tab.

since i extended the post, i have had no issues dropping coils.

I extended them with nylon round stock i turned down on a lathe to be a press fit inside the stock post to a positive stop the same OD as the stock post. cheap and works great.
Oh ok. Thanks for explaining that

#22,974 ·
So I've owned the ZJ for about a year. It now has 148K on it. I do regular oil changes with 20w50 oil to suppress the engine noise (its SoCal I don't have to worry about the cold). I changed the coolant last month with the water pump change. But I never looked at the others. So this weekend I dropped the tranny pan and changed the filter (took 5 qts after letting it drip), changed the fluid in the transfer case and both differentials. After looking at the old fluids I would like to thank the previous owner for the good care he took. The fluids actually look like they didn't need change.

#22,975 ·
I lucked out on mine too. Bought out from my friend thats had it for the last few years and is pretty good on maintenance with his vehicles. Or at least, he's pretty good at buying parts and letting me do the work in them lol.
I just replaced seals and bearings in the front axle of his cj he just bought and the stuff, can't call it fluid, that came out of there was the worse I've ever seen

#22,976 ·
Checked fluids in both, trans are fine. Coolant and oil are both low. I know I've got plenum problems, but how much oil loss should that account for?

#22,977 ·
I lucked out on mine too. Bought out from my friend thats had it for the last few years and is pretty good on maintenance with his vehicles. Or at least, he's pretty good at buying parts and letting me do the work in them lol.
I just replaced seals and bearings in the front axle of his cj he just bought and the stuff, can't call it fluid, that came out of there was the worse I've ever seen
Talk about sludge, ugh. Im gonna pop open my rear diff in a few minutes, i hope it dont look that bad.

#22,978 ·
So i was looking at my build sheet again and realized that my 93 with factory towing package came with a d35c 3.55 rear end. I thought towing packages came with 3.73. Is it like this because of my trans or is it more common than i thought?

#22,980 ·
So i was looking at my build sheet again and realized that my 93 with factory towing package came with a d35c 3.55 rear end. I thought towing packages came with 3.73. Is it like this because of my trans or is it more common than i thought?

There's the "tow package" and something like pre tow package. I think the numbers of the tow package on the build sheet are different depending on which option it was. The tow package that came from factory with the hitch and wiring installed on my 95 came with the 3.73's.