Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#22,941 ·
My buddy helped me rebuild my rebuilt 231 today..

Always be sure your transfer case is full of fluid folks..or this might happen to you while driving 70 down the highway..

Melted/broke the high-low shift fork, luckily a friend had another 231 laying around that I used for parts. REALLY lucky it didn't cause a lot more damage!

#22,942 ·
Well, new front brakes are on and the pedal feels much better. Front pads were getting pretty thin, so it was time.

Moved on to the back and realized the pads had plenty of life left, which was a pleasant surprise. Still need to flush the brake fluid and service both diffs.

While I was poking around the back brakes, I was happy to find out that all the rear control arm bushings had been swapped out for urethane. Its nice to know that at least one of the previous owners took care of this Jeep.

#22,943 ·
davigzj said:
On my ANDROID i cant change that on JF? N i pay for this! Plam to face!
Well then, I think I discovered the only way my iPhone is better than an Android...

Dang and here I was considering buying the membership to solve the problem. Thanks for chiming in, I'll spend the money on my soon to arrive daughter until the fix it'

On topic: The wife drove it to work because I forgot to fill her car up...

#22,944 ·
Seems i have a slight squeek in one of my pulley.s...now to find out which one. Ps pump, water pump, and idler pulley are all less than a year old. Hopefully not the water pump, the pulley looks a tad wobbly and i did just replace the fan clutch.

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4

#22,945 ·
I'm just curious, why does everyone pick the taurus efan over others? And is there a specific year of taurus I should be pulling it from? And how hard is it to wire up? I know basics of wiring but am definitely not an expert...

Sorry for all the questions just thinking about tackling this project soon and want to be sure I've got all the right parts and that I'm doing it right. Thanks guys!

#22,946 ·
TRAVASS said:
I'm just curious, why does everyone pick the taurus efan over others? And is there a specific year of taurus I should be pulling it from? And how hard is it to wire up? I know basics of wiring but am definitely not an expert...

Sorry for all the questions just thinking about tackling this project soon and want to be sure I've got all the right parts and that I'm doing it right. Thanks guys!
It's a two speed fan that works well, fits in the ZJ, and can be found in abundance. It's not hard for somebody comfortable with clipping wires. There are several good write ups on it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ford-taurus-two-speed-e-fan-install-pics-233676/

If you're looking for one that runs off of the coolant temp instead of a switch like the niner fan it's a little more involved but its still not too complicated.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

#22,947 ·
It's a two speed fan that works well, fits in the ZJ, and can be found in abundance. It's not hard for somebody comfortable with clipping wires. There are several good write ups on it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ford-taurus-two-speed-e-fan-install-pics-233676/

If you're looking for one that runs off of the coolant temp instead of a switch like the niner fan it's a little more involved but its still not too complicated.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
Thank you very much for your help!

#22,948 ·
I picked up a new, in the box niner fan for $40 about a month ago.
I'm still trying to locate all the OEM odds n ends crap to make it automatic....
But it will be worth it when it's finally done!!!

#22,949 ·
I picked up a new, in the box niner fan for $40 about a month ago.
I'm still trying to locate all the OEM odds n ends crap to make it automatic....
But it will be worth it when it's finally done!!!
If you want, I'll grab the upper rad hose t-fitting off my parts niner when I get a chance. Use that and an aftermarket controller to make the fan automatic.

#22,951 ·
Well I put my lift and tires on ........I'm going to need track bars badly lol drives a little sporadic . The 3" bb is scary on the back even with post extensions so I think I'm going to run the 3" bb in the front and just put some front springs in the back . Any options or pointers for me. Any suggestions would be a great help

Attachments

#22,953 ·
Well I put my lift and tires on ........I'm going to need track bars badly lol drives a little sporadic . The 3" bb is scary on the back even with post extensions so I think I'm going to run the 3" bb in the front and just put some front springs in the back . Any options or pointers for me. Any suggestions would be a great help
You'll want to address the rear springs one way or another. 3" BBs are too much. You'll drop a spring for sure if you wheel it at all.

On topic, I drove it to a Heritage of Heros festival in Valparaiso, IN. It's about 25 minutes to 30 minutes away depending on traffic. The ZJ did fine on the drive. It was a nice ceremony in honor or memorial day as well. There were lots of cool Jeeps there, most of them from the Northwest Indiana Jeepers.

#22,954 ·
Replaced bearings and seals in the rear end, had to get a new axle one was grooved. When tearing the rear end apart the parking brake shoes were completly gone, and the lever was siezed together. Put a diffrent rear cover on the d35 that has a screw in plug instead of the rubber one. Gotta love working on a 20 year old jeep.

#22,959 ·
Surprised you had room to fish on this weekend. Eglin,hulburt, tourist, and graduation getting close make for some crowds down your way. You must have a secret location. I did nothing to the zj while I prepared the other"s WJ for her 3 week trip to see her relatives:D. Plugs, all filters,blah blah. I hate working on the wj.

#22,960 ·
did some wheeling.

both jeeps are only on a 2" BB, the green one is factory UC however. It is on 36's, the black one on 31's

and yes, you can still flex on 36's and a BB