Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#22,101 ·
A week or so after getting my drivers licensee, I “jumped” my mom’s ’67 Formula S Barracuda with a handful of friends in the car, no damage other than hints of urine coming from the back seat. But I never tried a repeat!
My first car was an 82 subaru brat....tough as nails. I used to jump it all the time at this old abandoned moto-x track. Never broke anything....jumping it at least. I want another one, always thought it would look cool lifted!

#22,102 · (Edited)
My first car was an 82 subaru brat....tough as nails. I used to jump it all the time at this old abandoned moto-x track. Never broke anything....jumping it at least. I want another one, always thought it would look cool lifted!
My first was a '64 Pontiac Bonneville, sky blue metalic, white leather interior with real mahogany trim, 389 4v, hydromatic 4 speed. It was like a living room with 2 big a$$ couches/ sofa's. I could take 4 people plus coolers all in the trunk to the drive in!

Oh yeh, SUNOCO 260 (104 octane) was 42 cents a gallon, a case of beer was $5, the drive in was 2.50 a head.

#22,106 ·
5.2 ZJ is rated to pull 6500 lbs. I've pulled 6300 with my niner, and I wouldn't really recommend it. It's not terrible, but you better have damn good trailer brakes, and you do get pushed around a good bit.

As far as trannies, a 93 - 95 5.2 has a 46RH, 96 - 98 has a 44RE. Both are good trannies if taken care of (keep fluid fresh, add a big cooler, shift kit doesn't hurt either). And both can be built very strong if desired.

#22,107 ·
I believe the Canyons would sell for more than the price of scrap! I paid $125 for my Canyon 7 x 15's on my ZJ. I bought a set of 6 - 8 x 15's Canyons for $200, they will be for sale soon.
If they are in nice shape, post them in the JF classifieds. You can always pick up shipping boxes at most tire/ wheel dealers. I could use a good/ nice 7 x 15 for a spare myself. I picked up a set of "Niner" wheels for my offroad tires, but would buy another single of those as well.

#22,108 ·
5.2 ZJ is rated to pull 6500 lbs. I've pulled 6300 with my niner, and I wouldn't really recommend it. It's not terrible, but you better have damn good trailer brakes, and you do get pushed around a good bit.

As far as trannies, a 93 - 95 5.2 has a 46RH, 96 - 98 has a 44RE. Both are good trannies if taken care of (keep fluid fresh, add a big cooler, shift kit doesn't hurt either). And both can be built very strong if desired.
Yeh, I towed a '65 'Stang on my trailer with my wifes Explorer for a couple hundred miles, first 20 miles went great before I got passed by a semi and it was like a whip, didn't settle till I cranked up the trailer brakes. I set the cruise control @ 60 the next 270+ miles and kept an eye out for semi's in the rearview!

#22,109 ·
I believe the Canyons would sell for more than the price of scrap! I paid $125 for my Canyon 7 x 15's on my ZJ. I bought a set of 6 - 8 x 15's Canyons for $200, they will be for sale soon.
If they are in nice shape, post them in the JF classifieds. You can always pick up shipping boxes at most tire/ wheel dealers. I could use a good/ nice 7 x 15 for a spare myself. I picked up a set of "Niner" wheels for my offroad tires, but would buy another single of those as well.
Ill post them up here on JF and CL some next week if i buy the others. Not in too bad of shape but they are painted gloss black.

#22,110 ·
It's true. 5.2's had a rating of 6500, while the 4.0 was 5000.
ZJs also came with different hitches. Check to see if you have a class II, class III, or class IV hitch. You'll need the class IV to even attempt to pull 6500 pounds. And just because they're "rated" for it, doesn't mean they like it. I've pulled about 5000 pounds with mine a handful of times.

#22,111 ·
ZJs also came with different hitches. Check to see if you have a class II, class III, or class IV hitch. You'll need the class IV to even attempt to pull 6500 pounds. And just because they're "rated" for it, doesn't mean they like it. I've pulled about 5000 pounds with mine a handful of times.
I some how have a class V hitch. 10000 pounds thats crazy

#22,114 ·
Yeh, I towed a '65 'Stang on my trailer with my wifes Explorer for a couple hundred miles, first 20 miles went great before I got passed by a semi and it was like a whip, didn't settle till I cranked up the trailer brakes. I set the cruise control @ 60 the next 270+ miles and kept an eye out for semi's in the rearview!
Hell, I towed another ZJ on a heavy steel uhaul car trailer with mine (for 370 miles). Stopping sucked with just surge brakes on the trailer, but it did it. It even managed to hold 3rd and TC lockup climbing 7% grades despite being just over the 11k lbs combined weight limit. It was very stable with probably 750 - 800 lbs of tongue weight (this, combined with stuff in my ZJ had the rear suspension a 1/2" from the bumpstops with upcountry coils, it would have been on the stops with standard ones). Getting passed by trucks and such, you'd get pushed, but it didn't sway or anything. I kept it around 55 for most of the run (ventured up to 60 - 65 to pass semis on the hills a couple times).

It's likely your tranny will fail before anything else.
Without a shift kit at the minimum, yeah, 10k would put some serious hurt on the trans. With a modded valve body, mine held up just fine pulling about 6300 lbs (and I wasn't nice to it, 10+ seconds of sustained WOT getting on the highway, etc.).

#22,115 ·
I've towed my yj on a 16 foot deck over trailer with the zj. Very slowly... For about 2 miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#22,116 ·
Went flying.

Then subsequently broke the front axle.

And bent my hard to find Chrome Jeep wheel!!! :mad::mad::brickwall
Hey bro if your going back with stock axle.. If your junk yarding it look for an xj they are all high opinion.. Just get right gear obviously.. i have an 89 vacuum housing under my front end .. Solid axle swap into the beefed up disconnect housing is wayyyyy stronger.. Sorry for into the light pics..

Plant Tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments