Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#20,981 ·
I have 75w-140 full synthetic in there. You're saying it'll get a little quieter as the oil covers everything? And I don't have my 242 in there yet, but it's sitting in the garage waiting.
242 fulltime makes a huge difference - it should quiet down a little bit, but not completely. You'll still know it's there.

#20,982 ·
Finished the header install. Just gotta fix an exhaust leak at the spot where the 2 halves of the y-pipe clamp together, which I'll be doing in the morning, and fix a few body contact issues that are causing a bunch of interior noise. Then it should be good to go unless I find any other leaks. Once I've got it all nailed down, I'll take some video.
How in the hell did you get the passenger side in? I've been working on it for what seems like an eternity and I'm convinced it wont fit. Its sooooo close, but not close at the same time. I put a jack between the engine and frame and a ratchet strap at the top, and it just wont go in. You're going in from the top, right? The bottom doesn't have nearly enough room.

#20,983 ·
How in the hell did you get the passenger side in? I've been working on it for what seems like an eternity and I'm convinced it wont fit. Its sooooo close, but not close at the same time. I put a jack between the engine and frame and a ratchet strap at the top, and it just wont go in. You're going in from the top, right? The bottom doesn't have nearly enough room.
I went in from the top, and it took some finagling. Take the spark plug wires off (but you don't need to pull the plugs). Get as much out of the way as you can, and you'll need to loosen the clamp on the A/C receiver drier so you can lift it out of its bracket and move it outboard a bit to make space. Pull the oil filter too, it's easier to maneuver the flange into place if it's not there for you to hit. It still takes some work, but it'll go in. Hell, I managed to squeeze the driver's side in from the top (without disconnecting any brake lines!), as I didn't lift the Jeep off the ground at all for my install.

#20,985 ·
You have a 44A up front? How'd you pull that one off??

:rofl: :cheers2: :rofl:

#20,986 ·
I went in from the top, and it took some finagling. Take the spark plug wires off (but you don't need to pull the plugs). Get as much out of the way as you can, and you'll need to loosen the clamp on the A/C receiver drier so you can lift it out of its bracket and move it outboard a bit to make space. Pull the oil filter too, it's easier to maneuver the flange into place if it's not there for you to hit. It still takes some work, but it'll go in. Hell, I managed to squeeze the driver's side in from the top (without disconnecting any brake lines!), as I didn't lift the Jeep off the ground at all for my install.
I did all that lol. Its either hitting the coil tower, the metal guard things around the spark plugs, the ignition coil bracket, or the flange on the bottom gets wedged in between the upper control arm mount and the transmission. The egr tube is also annoying, but it moves around some. Is that a bad thing?

#20,987 ·
I did all that lol. Its either hitting the coil tower, the metal guard things around the spark plugs, the ignition coil bracket, or the flange on the bottom gets wedged in between the upper control arm mount and the transmission. The egr tube is also annoying, but it moves around some. Is that a bad thing?
I dunno about the EGR tube, 96 - 98 V8 ZJs don't have EGR, so I didn't have to deal with that. And I forgot about the spark plug heat shields (my aftermarket heads don't have them). I think the instructions say those have to come off. I had to play around for a bit to find the right angle to get it in at, and I still kinda had to force the front end a bit to get it down past the A/C lines.

#20,988 ·
I dunno about the EGR tube, 96 - 98 V8 ZJs don't have EGR, so I didn't have to deal with that. And I forgot about the spark plug heat shields (my aftermarket heads don't have them). I think the instructions say those have to come off. I had to play around for a bit to find the right angle to get it in at, and I still kinda had to force the front end a bit to get it down past the A/C lines.
Do the spark plug heat shields just pull out?

Edit: And do they need to go back in? lol

#20,989 ·
Do the spark plug heat shields just pull out?
I dunno. Give it a try. IIRC, mine looked like they were held on with 2 very tiny tack welds, so it's probably not hard to break them off if that's the case. They don't seem to be necessary, as I've yet to see any heat related spark plug wire degradation on my Jeep or any other one with aftermarket heads.

#20,990 ·
Lots of people ditch the spark plug shields permanently. Your knuckles will thank you. I know I've sliced my fingers once or twice...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum

#20,991 ·
I dunno. Give it a try. IIRC, mine looked like they were held on with 2 very tiny tack welds, so it's probably not hard to break them off if that's the case. They don't seem to be necessary, as I've yet to see any heat related spark plug wire degradation on my Jeep or any other one with aftermarket heads.
OMG thank you sooooooo much! After I took out the heat shields, it slid right into place. If I ever meet you in person, I owe you a beer lol. I didn't get any instructions, so I wouldn't have known they said to remove them.

#20,992 ·
OMG thank you sooooooo much! After I took out the heat shields, it slid right into place. If I ever meet you in person, I owe you a beer lol. I didn't get any instructions, so I wouldn't have known they said to remove them.
Alright. Along those lines, PM me if there's anything you might want off my parts niner (or if you want the whole thing, that's cool too) when I go home in May, as I'm hoping to get rid of the whole thing ASAP once I'm home.

#20,994 ·
242 fulltime makes a huge difference - it should quiet down a little bit, but not completely. You'll still know it's there.
I'm not too concerned about the noise in all honesty. I really can't wait to see the kind of looks I get with it at a gas station or tight parking lot as I maneuver my ZJ.

my Aussie up front get noisy at times in turns.
How does that feel in full time with the Aussie up front?

#21,000 ·
I'm not too concerned about the noise in all honesty. I really can't wait to see the kind of looks I get with it at a gas station or tight parking lot as I maneuver my ZJ.

How does that feel in full time with the Aussie up front?

Kinda like **** lol. Def feel it on road and off with it in 4wd. It pulls left and right and all over haha