What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1046 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #15676
ZJRunner
1996 ZJ 

after work i looked at my rig and washed it lol

ZJRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #15677
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
Decided im gonna take the rear bumper cover off. And mount some lights on it out of the way of the tailgate and taillights. Going to wire a relay to turn on when reverse lights come in. But would also like to wire them to a switch for rear lights for setting up camp or something at night.how would I wire it with two switches like that on one relay?
Read thru THIS THREAD about adding lights to the license plate bezel. Same exact wiring procedure as I outlined in one of my posts toward the end of the thread. It also talks about adding diodes to the circut to control backfeed between the two switches.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #15678
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
Why two? One for switch one to tap into reverse lights?
Yes. That would prevent the reverse lights from coming on when you flip the switch and you wouldn't have to worry about having the switch on when in reverse. Again, I assume no responsibility.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #15679
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz

Yes. That would prevent the reverse lights from coming on when you flip the switch and you wouldn't have to worry about having the switch on when in reverse. Again, I assume no responsibility.
Since you keep saying you assume no responsibility. What could happen? Iv got two relays here in my desk at home. I think they are 4 pin. I'll have to look.
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #15680
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

4 pin will work as long as they're normally open. I say I assume no responsibility as a disclaimer. If you manage to wire something incorrectly and catch your vehicle on fire or short something and hurt yourself, I'm not responsible. Even though I told you how to wire it, and I have an EET degree, and work at a facility that services relays, I may have made a mistake or overlooked something simple. That's why I assume no responsibility. Make sure you fuse both for safety. That's something I overlooked.
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #15681
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Use a standard fog light relay and wire it as described below:

Pin 30 - wired with in-line fuse to battery.

Pin 86 - 12v from rocker switch as well as 12v signal from the (+) lead that powers the reverse bulb in tail light harness. Both rocker and reverse leads need to have diodes inline connected at pin 86 allowing either source to activate the relay but preventing power from going backwards thru the source not triggering the relay)

Pin 87 - Powers the two lights just as if they were fog lights

Pin 85 - Ground

Power the rocker with a key-switched 12v source (If you opt to choose a constant 12v source and accidently leave the rocker turned on, you will run battery down even when key is off) Use a lighted rocker for this reason.
fog-relay.png  
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #15682
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

That works too. I thought about diodes but I didn't want I make it too complicated.
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #15683
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Jeep goes in for 35% tint on the front passenger and driver windows on the 28th. Adding to the list of mods breaking the laws here lol.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #15684
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Jeep goes in for 35% tint on the front passenger and driver windows on the 28th. Adding to the list of mods breaking the laws here lol.
I meter at about 18% on my two front windows, 5% on my rear windows, and 3% on the hatch glass. I also have a fairly large sunstrip that's 5%. Since a ZJ is considered an MPV by the DOT, I don't have to worry about tint laws here in Indiana. Indiana does not govern tint on MPV vehicles. The tire pressure sticker on the driver door proves the vehicle is of MPV type should I get pulled over for it. Know your rights!
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #15685
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
4 pin will work as long as they're normally open. I say I assume no responsibility as a disclaimer. If you manage to wire something incorrectly and catch your vehicle on fire or short something and hurt yourself, I'm not responsible. Even though I told you how to wire it, and I have an EET degree, and work at a facility that services relays, I may have made a mistake or overlooked something simple. That's why I assume no responsibility. Make sure you fuse both for safety. That's something I overlooked.
I think I'll do two relays. Also going to do a lighted rocker switch. Will defiantly fuse both constant 12v and for the wire going from battery to switch. Probably 15amp fuses?
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #15686
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I meter at about 18% on my two front windows, 5% on my rear windows, and 3% on the hatch glass. I also have a fairly large sunstrip that's 5%. Since a ZJ is considered an MPV by the DOT, I don't have to worry about tint laws here in Indiana. Indiana does not govern tint on MPV vehicles. The tire pressure sticker on the driver door proves the vehicle is of MPV type should I get pulled over for it. Know your rights!
No tint on the front windows for us at all. But it looks good, the ticket is only $57 or $110 and the court house is 5 minutes from my office so I can run down anytime to get them reduced if I need.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #15687
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

The fuse rating depends on the number of lights you run and their wattage. The lights should tell you what type of fusing they'll require. Also make sure you run appropriate gauge wiring with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
No tint on the front windows for us at all. But it looks good, the ticket is only $57 or $110 and the court house is 5 minutes from my office so I can run down anytime to get them reduced if I need.
Cops around here don't tend to pull you over for just tint. They've been known to use it as an excuse when they stop people for no reason, but hardly write tickets for it. I do have friends who are disrespectful and had tickets for it before, but they probably deserved it.
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #15688
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Is there something like this that can safely be implemented for multiple lights or gauges? Like under or behind the dash?
picture-12.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #15689
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Is there something like this that can safely be implemented for multiple lights or gauges? Like under or behind the dash?
Is that just a terminal block? If so, it could make wiring easier. You shouldn't have any problems with it.
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #15690
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Is that just a terminal block? If so, it could make wiring easier. You shouldn't have any problems with it.
I might get one of those. Run one 14ga or bigger to battery and everything off of that. My power splitter off that as well.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.