What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1042 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 09-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #15616
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I was looking at that thinking, "For 209k, those needles look pretty new. They look better than mine that has 91k. Man..." Nice job. Do you have a writeup or any pics of the process?
Its seriously the dumbest idea I've had in awhile but it turned out flawless! Its simply red sharpie painted over the tops of the needles in 3 lengthwise "coats". I figured it out when I tore apart my shifter trim to clean out the Starbucks that spilled all over it. I noticed the orange gear position indicator was faded out really bad so I figured what the heck, I'll use a sharpie to freshen it up. I did the same 3 coats on it and noticed after I put it back together just how good it turned out, once I saw it at nite the needle idea hit me. Now before anyone scoffs and says it wont hold up keep in mind that sharpies are permanent markers that require some pretty hefty solvents to remove and even if they fade out in a year its like a 20min job start to finish

Unread 09-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #15617
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
Its seriously the dumbest idea I've had in awhile but it turned out flawless! Its simply red sharpie painted over the tops of the needles in 3 lengthwise "coats". I figured it out when I tore apart my shifter trim to clean out the Starbucks that spilled all over it. I noticed the orange gear position indicator was faded out really bad so I figured what the heck, I'll use a sharpie to freshen it up. I did the same 3 coats on it and noticed after I put it back together just how good it turned out, once I saw it at nite the needle idea hit me. Now before anyone scoffs and says it wont hold up keep in mind that sharpies are permanent markers that require some pretty hefty solvents to remove and even if they fade out in a year its like a 20min job start to finish
The green parking lamps in my Caprice are clear bulbs Sharpied green. It'll hold up. I've had the lights like that for about 4 years now with no fading (or tickets).
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #15618
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

after replacing the thermostat last night i started her up this morning and in 5 mins was at operating temp

its nice having heat again

the responsiveness and gas mileage came back too
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #15619
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
after replacing the thermostat last night i started her up this morning and in 5 mins was at operating temp

its nice having heat again

the responsiveness and gas mileage came back too
In that case, I probably need to replace my thermostat lol. It takes FOREVER to reach operating temp, so its probably stuck open or something.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #15620
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Considering crossing over to the dark side and getting a ZJ. Anybody recognize this one? Is the owner on JF? I've looked and looked to no avail. It's in the Roanoke VA area.

Some of the highlights:
-7 inch rock crawler springs
-35 inch Yokohama MTS on Cregger 15X8 Soft Eight steel wheels
-Claytons long arms, removable sway bar link for the trails. Heavy duty steering and suspension.
-4 wheel disc brakes with new brakes on the rear. Extended stainless steel braided brake lines.
-Front differential - Dana 44 out of Grand Wagoneer with 4.56 Richmond gears and rock crusher alloy cover. ARB Air locker 4130 Chromoly axles and Warn lockout hubs.
-Rear differential - Ford 8.8 out of 95 Explorer with 4.56 Richmond gears and custom heavy duty rear cover. Detroit locker with 4130 Chromoly 31 splined axles.
-Warn HS9500i winch on custom steel front bumper
-Custom steel rear bumper and hitch
-Dual side rock rails

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #15621
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Got death wobble for the first time.

Awesome.

I know I need 4 new balljoints, a trackbar, and a steering stabilizer though, so... I guess I shouldn't be too mad.
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #15622
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMTL View Post

Awesome.

I know I need 4 new balljoints, a trackbar, and a steering stabilizer though, so... I guess I shouldn't be too mad.
Also get your new tires and balanced maybe?
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #15623
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

i welded my exhaust back together finally took a 15 mile drive to the store and didnt hear any leaks

no holes helped the torque and mpg too

i busted my welds in 3 places and blew out 2 shocks wheeling

got very light wobble because of shocks i believe

hopefully i can get some Bilstein's soon
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #15624
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

I'm starting my North Carolina to Michigan junk yard tour! Hopefully I find the fender and drivers seat I need...
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #15625
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrews000 View Post
I'm starting my North Carolina to Michigan junk yard tour! Hopefully I find the fender and drivers seat I need...
heres my j.y. donor

i will be getting the wheel spacers off of it today
dscf48412.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #15626
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj

heres my j.y. donor

i will be getting the wheel spacers off of it today
Cool, where at? I've 1 stop in WV planned and 4 in OH...
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #15627
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

dont really want to say out of fear it will be gone before i get there

why is it so hard to find zj parts locally?
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #15628
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMTL View Post

Awesome.

I jsut went through putting a new track bar and stabelizer on had to take teh center link of and take it to a machine shop to get it off but I replaced it with a gaberial it's a lot biggger than the original one and put a red boot on it too, replaced the trackbar autozone wanted over 120.00 for a track link bar I went to NAPA and got the same one for 69.00 put that on and now was told I need new lower bal joints so I got all 4 upper and lower for 40.00 and got a neighber that will put them on for me for 150.00 and I now need to have the drivers side motor mount replaced I picked one of those up too for 46.00, today I went tothe store to pick up some medicine I inadvertantly left my lights on and I came out of the store 20 minutes later realized what I had done I tried to start her up and nope battery was too far dead! the battery was 1 year old, I have a new 200amp alternator on her that was put on in Nov. called my roommate and he came out and gave me a jump. went to autozone to have the battery checked out and their testers were broken so they decided to jsut go ahead and exchange the battery with a slightly better one the old one was a 800CCA with a 750 reserve and the new one is a 800CCA with 1000 Reserve. so hopefully I won't have this problem again.
I wish there was a way to set the jeep up to turn the headlights off when you shut the ignition off !!
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #15629
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
dont really want to say out of fear it will be gone before i get there

why is it so hard to find zj parts locally?
It's because of people like us that love our ZJs. We rescue them from the crusher and show them the love and attention that they deserve.
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #15630
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrews000

It's because of people like us that love our ZJs. We rescue them from the crusher and show them the love and attention that they deserve.
Are you gonna stop at the one in fortwayne?

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.