What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 1039 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #15571
DNTTRY
1998 ZJ 

put in MOOG upper and lower pass side ball joints, new rear rotors, rebuilt the brake calipers, bled brakes, replaced the pass side axle, changed to 180deg thermostat

DNTTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #15572
JustinW23
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz

me blew brake line while climbing up a rock face came flying down the hill backwards if it wernt for the 5 speed I would had bin ****ed throwing it i first and turning he key off got me slowed down just enough to avoid catastrophic

Found Norm

finely got the legs stretched out and the $250 for the Aussie locker has to be the best investment ever, it had me climbing trees
I noticed that your rear shocks are on upside-down. I remember reading somewhere that some people have done this and it is safe and all that. What is the advantages of doing this? I'm guessing to keep the cylinder away from the rocks and stuff.

'98 ZJ 5.2 6" Long Arms, 265 75R 16's, Magnaflow Cat and Super 40, Taurus Fan Swap
JustinW23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #15573
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Ok I'm stuck here. My jeep is throwing a code 21 yet again. It happened a month ago, I replaced the o2 sensor, reset the computer and cleaned the pcm connection with crc electronic cleaner. A couple days ago, it happened again, so I reset the computer and cleaned the pcm connection, again. Well, the cel is back on again, came on when I was going to work this afternoon, and it was still on when I came home.

When it happened a month ago, the engine was running either rich or lean, but either way it was running like ****. When I got home, all of 10 minutes ago, after I put it in park, it was running normal, but then I revved the engine a tiny bit, and it seemed to have sparked an erratic idle. Not running rich or lean, but it just jumps up to above 1k rpm's and back down randomly.

So my question is, what could possibly be causing this? I got a pm from another member saying it might be because my plenum gasket needs to be replaced (typical plenum repair). Would a bad plenum cause the sensor to go bad? Also, I ****ed up my y pipe back in the spring, and quite possibly cracked my exhaust manifold since I hear an exhaust leak whenever the engine is cold (manifold expands once it gets warm).

Is there a cord I can buy online that will let me hook my laptop up to one of the diagnostic plugs to see if I can see how its running? (obd1, I know there are like 3 plugs) A guy came into work once and said thats what he had to do, he said he was going through o2 sensors as well.
What are my options here?
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #15574
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Wheeled it a little bit on a small trail behind the high school I attended. Happily, Full Time 4 still works.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #15575
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW23 View Post
I noticed that your rear shocks are on upside-down. I remember reading somewhere that some people have done this and it is safe and all that. What is the advantages of doing this? I'm guessing to keep the cylinder away from the rocks and stuff.
the body of the shock was hitting the axle and dented the shock then continued to bend the shaft (they are shot) so i put them on upside down for clearance will be installing Bilstein 5125's as soon as i get the new cross triangulated shock mounts mounted to the axle
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #15576
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
Ok I'm stuck here. My jeep is throwing a code 21 yet again. It happened a month ago, I replaced the o2 sensor, reset the computer and cleaned the pcm connection with crc electronic cleaner. A couple days ago, it happened again, so I reset the computer and cleaned the pcm connection, again. Well, the cel is back on again, came on when I was going to work this afternoon, and it was still on when I came home.

When it happened a month ago, the engine was running either rich or lean, but either way it was running like ****. When I got home, all of 10 minutes ago, after I put it in park, it was running normal, but then I revved the engine a tiny bit, and it seemed to have sparked an erratic idle. Not running rich or lean, but it just jumps up to above 1k rpm's and back down randomly.

So my question is, what could possibly be causing this? I got a pm from another member saying it might be because my plenum gasket needs to be replaced (typical plenum repair). Would a bad plenum cause the sensor to go bad? Also, I ****ed up my y pipe back in the spring, and quite possibly cracked my exhaust manifold since I hear an exhaust leak whenever the engine is cold (manifold expands once it gets warm).

Is there a cord I can buy online that will let me hook my laptop up to one of the diagnostic plugs to see if I can see how its running? (obd1, I know there are like 3 plugs) A guy came into work once and said thats what he had to do, he said he was going through o2 sensors as well.
This plus the "torque" android app will tell you your o2 sensor voltages. Awesome gadget... good luck!

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #15577
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings View Post
This plus the "torque" android app will tell you your o2 sensor voltages. Awesome gadget... good luck!
I was looking for something for obd1, that looks like its only good for obd2.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #15578
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I was looking for something for obd1, that looks like its only good for obd2.
Oh shoot, failed to look at your year. My bad sir!

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #15579
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings View Post
Fun enough, I have a friend with that exact OBD sender and Torque. We tested it on the Jeep when he first got it. Sure enough, my check engine light is burned out.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #15580
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

changed plugs and wires

one of the wires was so bad i tried to bend it and it snapped like a twig
dscf4856.jpg  
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #15581
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Almost replaced the fuel pump. Broke the fuel sending line so I guess I'll finish tomorrow. Almost went smoothly.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #15582
zjphil
1997 ZJ 

After taking another drive around this morning, I'm seriously thinking of taking the ABS lamp out. The Jeep is such a pleasure to drive now but I think I will order a sensor just in case for Winter. It would be nice if there was a button on the dash to turn the ABS on or off.
zjphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #15583
JustinW23
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjphil
After taking another drive around this morning, I'm seriously thinking of taking the ABS lamp out. The Jeep is such a pleasure to drive now but I think I will order a sensor just in case for Winter. It would be nice if there was a button on the dash to turn the ABS on or off.
It would be great to have the option. You gave me a great idea. I think ill replace my broken sensor then track down the power wire to the ABS relay then put a toggle or a push button on it. I will be able to keep the ABS on whenever its icy or when my wife drives it then turn it off whenever I want to. I think I will do a write up on this.

Thanks for the idea!

Edit: anyone have any opinions on this?

'98 ZJ 5.2 6" Long Arms, 265 75R 16's, Magnaflow Cat and Super 40, Taurus Fan Swap
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #15584
JustinW23
1998 ZJ 

I was going through the paperwork from he previous owner. He had the motor replaced 18k miles before he sold it to me. The sheet says the long block was bored .030 over. That might have had something to do with why it was heating up so much. I wonder what the power difference is between it and stock bore. Either way, it was a nice surprise.

Unread 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #15585
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

Another symptom discovered today: Happened 3 times on my way to school, with the throttle constant at about 2000 rpm's, the rpm's would start to drop slowly, then jump back up and the engine would backfire I think, sounded like popcorn in my exhaust. I just replaced my cat about a year ago, so I wouldn't think that would be bad.

Really need some advice on this, its my DD and I commute 50 miles a day to school, so I can't have it die on me.

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.