Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#13,845 ·
Found this at a lot :(
Have it listed as the 4.7L... (even the plate on it says "59L ZJ") :facepalm:

Attachments

#13,849 ·
As awesome as those rims are (XJ / KJ Icon rims), I hate to break it to you, but they're 16x7, not 16x8. AFAIK, the only factory 16x8s Jeep had in 5x4.5 are TJ Moabs. TJ Canyons and Ravines were 15x8. Other than that, most of them were 7" wide rims (all ZJ stock rims included).
Hmmm, care to wager? :D

I had the tire shop pull off just the driver's front tire so we could mount one new wheel, set it down and check for clearance/rubbing issues before we busted down the remaining 3 tires. After breaking down the first snowflake (def 16x7), we layed it flat on the shop floor next to the icon so I could compare offset position. The icon was visably taller (by about an inch). The guy at the tire shop had never seen the icon style wheel before and I told him they were off a kj. To his credit, he knew what a kj was and liked them so much he wanted to put some on his jk. I told him he would not be able to because of 5x4.5 vs 5x5 lug spacing. He was bumbed.

We aired up the new icon and I noticed how it spread the sidewall out just a little on my 225/70/16 wild countrys compared to the snowflake. I asked him to do an inside balance because (A) Wheel weights on the outside of a wheel look like hell and (B) I did not want wheel weights to corrode the clearcoated lip on the new wheels. It is not as precise as a dual-plane balace but these tires are fairly small and in really good shape. They would not take much to dial in. I stood there as he loaded the wheel/tire combo on the balance machine. Measured the diameter first and then used the black sissor-style width gauge finding an 8 inch wide wheel beadlip to beadlip. I assure you, they are 16x8's.

I would not be supprised if the factory kj steel wheels were 16x7 but these, my friend, are 8's. I bought them quite a while back and have been sitting on them as I had not gotten around to preping and painting them to match body color on my 95. Well, that and I already had grizzlys mounted on 30x9.50x15 bfg ko's for the 95. If I did paint the icons, I would have to buy larger 16 inch tires or run the small 225/70/16's.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the style, though. I really like the way they look on the zj. I am tempted to get another set but having two jeeps with same wheels would be boring. I think I am going to mask and paint the grizzlys moss green to match my 95 (leaving the outer lip with the stock clearcoated aluminum look and that way I won't need a new set of tires right away.

#13,850 ·
Please tell me you bought it right?
Trying... I'm trying to not act excited its hella clean, 43k miles :D guy swears up and down its the 4.7 in it :rofl:

#13,853 ·
Finished my valve cover gasket replacement today. Only had to make 3 different parts runs to rebuild vacuum lines that (at one time must have been flexible rubber) but now are hard brittle and just waitin' for an effin' reason to be breakin' :brickwall I also pulled the battery and tray out to replace the vacuum box that was hissin' all the time!! Now all that hissin' is hiss'tory.

Once I got her buttened up and started, I gave watch for leaks and soon caught the odor of oil burning on exhaust (that one REALLY gets your attention fast) and shut her down. Had my trouble light pointed 7 ways to sunday looking for leaks but did not see any. I figured I would gamble and drive her to the pressure wash and hope the smell (and smoke) was from "crumbs" that I scraped off the gasket sealing surface of the heads.

I stood there primed (pressure wand in-hand) with two gold Susan B Anthony's ready to drop and if I saw any flames, I was ready to go all Clint Eastwood on that magnum motor but (luckily) no such luck. I went ahead and pressure washed the engine bay and ofcourse, she refused to start at first (pcm waterlogged) so I dried it out and let it crank for many moons and finally started to get stumbles and pops and signs of life. She eventually came around and seems to be running a little lumpy but good.

Attachments

#13,855 ·
Canyon411 said:
Finished my valve cover gasket replacement today. Only had to make 3 different parts runs to rebuild vacuum lines that (at one time must have been flexible rubber) but now are hard brittle and just waitin' for an effin' reason to be breakin' :brickwall I also pulled the battery and tray out to replace the vacuum box that was hissin' all the time!! Now all that hissin' is hiss'tory.

Once I got her buttened up and started, I gave watch for leaks and soon caught the odor of oil burning on exhaust (that one REALLY gets your attention fast) and shut her down. Had my trouble light pointed 7 ways to sunday looking for leaks but did not see any. I figured I would gamble and drive her to the pressure wash and hope the smell (and smoke) was from "crumbs" that I scraped off the gasket sealing surface of the heads.

I stood there primed (pressure wand in-hand) with two gold Susan B Anthony's ready to drop and if I saw any flames, I was ready to go all Clint Eastwood on that magnum motor but (luckily) no such luck. I went ahead and pressure washed the engine bay and ofcourse, she refused to start at first (pcm waterlogged) so I dried it out and let it crank for many moons and finally started to get stumbles and pops and signs of life. She eventually came around and seems to be running a little lumpy but good.
Looks really good!

#13,856 ·
jeepgoonie said:
He deserves to be slapped with a serpentine belt
Trying to get price dropped, these guy no nothing.. Shouldn't be too hard! And yes they all are complete morons, guy is telling me he had a "CJ" just like this one but a different color.. I chuckled!! :rofl:

#13,857 ·
Trying to get price dropped, these guy no nothing.. Shouldn't be too hard! And yes they all are complete morons, guy is telling me he had a "CJ" just like this one but a different color.. I chuckled!! :rofl:
Tell him to give it to you for free or thousands of jeep forum members are going to hunt him down for his negligence towards such a beautiful creature. Or tell him since they swapped a 5.9 in place of the stock 4.7, that it kills the value of the cj

#13,858 ·
Looks really good!
Thanks!! It was nice to get some new gaskets on there. I know I didn't actually do a fresh engine rebuild or anything, but there are few things in the world that smell as good as fresh engine paint baking on. If I could bottle that up, I would make a new tree airfreshener and call it ManTree and sell them in chevy orange, chrysler blue, ford blue, olds gold, all the clasic engine enamel colors. I am telling you, there is money to be made here!!