What Color Should I Paint My Cladding--Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What Color Should I Paint My Cladding--Pics

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
grandcherokee12
1999 WJ 

What Color Should I Paint My Cladding--Pics

Hey guys, I know I want to paint my bumpers and cladding, just not sure what color... Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Also, if anyone can do some quick photoshop, I would appreciate it.

Unread 01-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Black is beautiful. lol I had that nasty sun faded grey as well. I sanded, put paint adhesion on it, then spray painted mine with truck bed coating. That was two years ago and they still look fresh.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Steve01WJ
2005 WK 

i love the look of that bed liner on there! I think im going to do that on mine in the spring

05 WK 5.7 Limited QD2
Steve01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
grandcherokee12
1999 WJ 

I do like the black on the red paint, just unsure about the contrast on my grey... do you think it will make it look cheap? Thanks again.
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

That's the best bed-liner job I've seen on cladding. You need to do a write-up on the specifics of what you did/used. Brands and everything.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I don't think it'd make it look cheap. In my opinion I think it would pull together the blacks you already have...side mirrors, window moulding, door handle, tires, trim, etc. You could grab my photo, crop the side panels, and paste them onto yours for a quick look.

Thank you. A lot of work and time with pieces hanging from my garage door channels. lol

I didn't take any pics during, only the finished product as shown in my gallery. I will say though - I did it the hard way, by removing every piece of cladding; bumpers, door panels, sides, etc. A PITA to remove and especially to put back on. I broke off some of those plastic tabs that hold the cladding on (and currently have the bottom edge of my driver door hanging free slightly) and had to buy some 3M double-sided tape just for moulding. If doing it again, I think I would use that roll-on type you see in Advance Auto or O'Reilly's.

I put a metal wire brush attachment on a variable drill and ran it over every piece to rough it up. I sanded areas I couldn't reach, and sanded areas where the wire bristles roughed it up too much. I then sprayed on bulldog plastic adhesive promotor, followed by many thin coats of spray on liner. The result was a durable textured finish that wasn't so rough that it catches and holds mud in little pockets everywhere. I use a plastic brush on it when washing the car. Because the front bumper gets sandblasted, rocks, etc as you cruise down the highway - use more layers. (most do, I'm a slow poke though and enjoy the ride - I'm never really up on someone's back end enough. This helps me avoid rearend collisions, ruining all the work to keep the WJ nice, and reduces wear on the headlight lenses)

If I had to redo it, I'd tape off everything and leave everything on except the bumpers. And I'd use that roll-on stuff you can buy in a can though I'm not entirely sold on the rollers provided. I've checked out the example they include with the kit and have found it to be a rougher surface than I'm looking for. I think a synthetic house roller with shorter loops would work best to create a nice smoother finish with some textured rippling.

Just grab a plastic storage bin or trash can from the garage. Sand it down, etc. and conduct a test with some spray liner to see what you think first.

/another pic from the rear... Notice how that driver panel isn't as tight against the body as it should be. My fault; it was the first piece I pulled off and I didn't know what I was up against. I suggest leaving them on and tape around instead.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

I had the same color WJ and painted the cladding black anyways. it looked goofy. i'll find pictures

edit:

Given this was like 5 minutes after I painted it. It did tone down quite a bit later down the road as seen here:

perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Steve01WJ
2005 WK 

yea thats a bit glossy......maybe the bed liner wouldnt be so bad.....I did my grill and it blends well with my brown jeep

05 WK 5.7 Limited QD2
Steve01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Look at lakamida (don't know how exactly to spell his name) build thread. His is taupe with black too.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Look at lakamida (don't know how exactly to spell his name) build thread. His is taupe with black too.
lakailimited06?
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Yes, that is it. Is yours green yet?

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Olive drab the past few months. I got laid off right after I started sanding it down to get it painted So I spray painted it and I finally got a job today actually. I lost my place to spray so i don't know what i'm going to do. All the local shops want 3k to paint it.
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Dam, that sucks. Glad you found a job though and good luck with painting.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Thanks! I went wheeling with some guy last summer that paints and has a shop. I need to find his card and get a quote. Worse comes to worse i'll conform and just get it sprayed a normal color like black or white for cheap.
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
grandcherokee12
1999 WJ 

Thanks for all the input... do you think I could find the OEM same color in a spray can? It would kinda look like a limited but not at glossy down there. I'm looking for maybe a darker shade of the plastic, mostly to make it look at least nice again and not chaulky.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.