What brand and weight of motor oil for a 95 Grand Cherokee? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What brand and weight of motor oil for a 95 Grand Cherokee?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Keith1975

What brand and weight of motor oil for a 95 Grand Cherokee?

What brand and weight of motor oil would you guys recommend for a 95 Grand Cherokee?

Keith1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
Trouble Maker

1993 ZJ 

5W30 synthetic in winter, 10W30 or 10W40 synthetic in summer. Any name brand but Quaker State. <- Had oil pressure problems after using QS in my 82 J-10.

93 ZJ Stolen and wrecked Mar29/08
Trouble Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

i use 15 /40 shell rotella t year round in my 94
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
donkie

You will get 8,000 different answers to this one, about as many as what type of wax to use Above 0 deg use 10W-30. 5W if it's colder. Use a synthetic if your wallet does not mind...self change it at 5,000 drain intervals it will save money in the long run. Use a NAPA filter!

Personally I've used Mobil 1 syn after 15,000 miles in 9 vehicles now for literally hundreds of thousands of miles. I usually change it myself, Sam's club has pretty good prices on it. Who knows if it provided anything over regular, sent off a sample one time @ 109,000 miles on my 4.0L YJ and they said everything was perfect and I could stretch the drain interval.

My favorite quote from a vehicle owners manual "use of any fluid or additive not suggested in this manual will only increase your total cost of ownership"

If you really want to see some oil opinion wars, check out some diesel forums...those guys go crazy over oil
donkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
sgarlic

What you should run is any quality brand name dino or synthetic, with the thinnest possible viscosity that still maintains good hot idle oil pressure.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
sastanley
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarlic
What you should run is any quality brand name dino or synthetic, with the thinnest possible viscosity that still maintains good hot idle oil pressure.
So...what is a good oil pressure at idle??

I just changed the oil in my '93 ZJ from cheap 20w50 to the 15w40 Shell Rotella and 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer (that stuff is like honey btw) because I was burning a quart of oil about every 500 miles. I was ready to try anything. It turns out I think this oil burning was mostly caused by the CCV system being clogged, which a fellow forum member helped me fix up last week.

I just drove the thing on a trip to PA this weekend, and although the initial gas mileage check wasn't so good (16mpg), the thing ran beautifully, didn't burn a drop of oil, nor did it smoke out the folks behind me when sitting in traffic backups, which it used to do regularly. When warm and at highway speed (65-70mph) the pressure was ~45 PSI. At idle (stop light after extensive 65 MPH driving) it would drop to 25 PSI or so. Before this oil change, I would see 40 PSI max when warm and 20 PSI at idle when hot. I attribute this change mostly to the thick Lucas oil in there now, but the stuff is $9 quart!

If I'd repaired the CCV system earlier, I probably would have not used the stabilizer..I was trying a few different things at once, which may be skewing my results.
sastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
rdrbssr11
1995 ZJ 

i use standard 10w30, never had a problem.
Unread 11-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
sgarlic

Anything with a first number viscosity of higher than 5 is not necessary at startup on today's engines. 5 covers the same range of temps, and lower, as a 10 does, so it can be used in the same temperatures as 10, but in colder ones as well.

Adequate hot idle oil pressure is ~6psi, however what you're seeing is plenty. If I were you, I'd use Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30. It's cheap, always has great oil analysis results, and will keep your engine nice and protected.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.