Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What is the best 3-4" Lift for your money?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  rustynail 
#1 ·
I completed a BB and decided I want to go higher. I am looking for a lift kit that takes care of all the necessary changes that needs to be made to my WJ to make it ride great onroad and off. I am assuming coils, good shocks, new track bar and sway bar links, transfer case drop are all necessary for this kinda height.

Can you go this high and still have a great onroad WJ? If so which kit gets top grades all around?

#2 ·
3" iro hands down. At 4" I would go with the LA kit they offer but that's me. At 4", you will want good shocks and at least lower control arms to have a decent ride. After you spend the money on that, you may as well have bought long arms.

TC drop is a waste of money, if you need to run one you need a new DS and/or adjustable control arms (if you don't already have one). Rule of thumb is, if you are lifted X amount of height and have to run a 1" TC drop, you may as well have just gone with (x-1)" lift height.

#3 ·
Well I after my 2"BB do you think it would be smart to pay all that money for a 3" lift now? Is there much difference between 2 and 3 inches of lift?

Is this the IRO 3" lift your talking about?
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-W_3LK

Are you saying no transfer case adjustment is needed for 3 inches?

Also, is it possible to use my the RE monotubes I purchased for my 2"bb for a 3 inch IRO?

#5 ·
Thats the kit they're talking about and I would buy it as well if I were you.

There is not much different than a 2" or 3" lift other than larger tires you could fit without having to extend bump stops more or trim the fenders.
BUT:
There is quite a difference between 2" SPACERS and 3" coils because a spacer cannot compress or expand like extra long coils can, so therefore you have more flex with the coils.

As for the t-case 'adjustment' question, On the WJ (ZJ as well i believe) the t-case drop is not necessary like it is for a wrangler or whatever. Maybe at 8" of lift it may solve a vibration issue, but if you have a vibe then looking at replacing the front drive shaft or different control arms may be necessary.

#8 ·
You guys are tempting me to pull my 3/4" TC drop. I didn't even try my jeep without it. It came in the kit so I put it in.

#10 ·
So if I pull it I assume I adjust my uppers and/or lowers to make the pinion angles parallel again? Also how much can my yoke hang out compared to stock? Sorry about thread jacking.....

#14 ·
dont waste your money for only 1 inch and if you go 4 inches Id go With LAs. Although JaredWJ runs Rustys 4 inch Shortarm kit and it is impressive.

#15 ·
dont waste your money for only 1 inch
There are a couple people that went from a 2.5" BB to 3" coils and said it was worth it. And a few more who went from a 2" BB to 3" IRO and were also pleased with the result. So it's not necessarily a waste of money.

Plus if you're like me, I've got a half inch sag on my springs. It only measures 19.5" with my BB on. So when I put on the 3" coils, it'll be more like an inch and a half gain.

#16 ·
Zone off road, come w/ shock, all nessesary spacer..i.e. rear upper BJ spacer and shocks, front lower CA not a bad price. IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.