What axles should I consider? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What axles should I consider?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
6x-gpapa
1993 ZJ 

What axles should I consider?

Which axles will give me: 1. Wider track-stock is 58", I'd like about 64-65". 2. strength upgrade-stock is Dana 30/35, I'm thinking in the range of a Ford 8.8 strength-wise. 3. lowest cost possible-purchase price, maintenance and upgrades. This is for my '93 ZJ/5.2L V8, 46RH/242 T-case, 3.5" lift. I don't need Dana 60-GM14-bolt-Ford 9" strength as I use my ZJ in the 'Expedition/Overland/Camping/Mild Trail' mode. I'm also quite conservative in my driving style. So any ideas that would fit the bill? Which junkyard trucks/parts should I be looking for? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'll be doing most of the work myself, with welding done by my nephew. Thanks.

6x-gpapa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Stock WMS-WMS is 60" front and rear. It's the 5.25" backspacing that results in the narrowish 58" track width.

I would say if you can do the welding for all the brackets, find a set of JK axles; the "next generation" D30/D44s are stronger than the ones on our Jeeps, JK WMS-WMS is about 65". People run 35s on (non-Rubi) JKs pretty reliably, so they should hold up to your use as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
OWSIN
Regular Joe

1997 ZJ 

You're limited by the driver's side differential of the front axle, which means either scabbing axles from other model Jeeps as Timo said, or if you want to go full-width, that limits you to Dodge/Ford axles for the front.

You can find a front D44 with the driver's side differential in older Ford trucks (pre-1979), and in 1994-2001 Dodge Ram 1500's, these use a center disconnect instead of locking hubs, but they can be found anywhere, and very cheap. For the rear you're pretty much open to anything, but if you want matching wheel bolt patterns front and rear, would probably be best to grab a matching set from a parts truck.

Personally I have Dodge 1/2 tons under mine, it cost 300$ for the matched set of axles out of the truck. Then it cost about another 1000$ in brackets to adapt them to fit the Jeep, and another chunk to rebuilt them with new balljoints, bearings, etc, etc. The axles really are the cheapest part of a swap like this.

If you can find a matched set of D44/9" axles out of an older Ford, that would be your best bet, as there is a lot of aftermarket for the 9", and they are a fairly strong axle, while not being bulky on the level of the D60/14-bolt. Or if you want to be an odd-ball like me, you can run the Ram axles, do the build on the cheap, and just have to deal with the limited aftermarket support.

Feel free to check out my build thread for lots more info on what's required to fit full-width axles into a ZJ.
Unread 12-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Since the 8.8 can be hard to find in full width the 9" is a very good option. I'd not both with the dodge front axles, they're low pinion. Unfortunately that does put you with a very narrow year range for ford HP44's. The grand wagoneer d44 is also a common swap for wider but not full width.

Owsin has it right though. The axles themselves are the cheap part. I got my hp44 housing, 9" housing, and currie built third in the ratio I wanted for $1500 or so, but I'm looking at easily another 2k on that to get them under the jeep.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Im doing a waggy44/ F8.8 swap in mine. They are both plenty beefy. It wont give you your desired width though.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

There is an actual bracket/truss kit for the 8.8 that makes it a bit easier to swap in. TNT makes a truss kit for the waggy but its absurdly expensive.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.