What am I missing?... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What am I missing?...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
B93
1998 ZJ 

What am I missing?...

Just popped the hood today and noticed this:
(click for bigger size)

What exactly am I missing there? I'm going to guess there should be a cap for something. And how bad is it to be driving without one?

Question 2... What does it mean when you have a bunch of grease exploded everywhere like this? My front passenger side wheel is on the right side in this pic:
(I know it's a terrible picture... but it's quite cold out and my phone couldn't figure out how to make it good)

Thanks for the help as always!

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Power steering. And maybe you blew your cv boot.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

power steering cap

and your CV boot on your axle is probably ripped or something and let all the grease come flying out onto your inner C of your front axle.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
B93
1998 ZJ 

Alright, that's what I thought it was. I wonder how long that cap has been off...

Any negative effects of having it off, other than the possibility of contaminants/water getting in?
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
B93
1998 ZJ 

Okay, thanks again! I guess it's time to take a drive to my parts niner and see what I can steal from it.

Would the broken CV boot cause a rubbing noise when turning hard and giving it some gas?
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

My guess is your cv boot is ripped and it spit the grease on everything around it.
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
B93
1998 ZJ 

You guys are awesome, thanks for the incredibly fast help and answers!

Another question about the torn CV boot: can that be a cause of deathwobble? It happens to me only when braking at highway speeds. I can also control whether or not it happens with how hard I brake (lighter = more likely to wobble). Doesn't happen all the time though.
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Your CV axle could be done for, which could cause that issue. I think warrantied reman ones are like $40 if you want to replace it. Not difficult if you have some beer, tools, and time.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaska View Post
Your CV axle could be done for, which could cause that issue. I think warrantied reman ones are like $40 if you want to replace it. Not difficult if you have some beer, tools, and time.
and a friend to do the work lol. Not to be a d!ck but he didn't know he was missing a PS cap..
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
B93
1998 ZJ 

I guess next time I should be more clear. "I realize I am missing a cap here that is most likely for power steering, is it terrible to be driving around without one?" would have been closer to my actual thoughts, I just worded it somewhat sarcastically which doesn't translate well on the internet. I'm somewhat new to all this, but at the same time I can still turn a wrench
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Maybe just tape over it so nothin gets in there if you are gonna drive it, I think I read the death wobble is caused by worn or bad control arms
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

In my experience a steering wobble under hard braking ussualy means warped rotors. Do your homework before you start on the Cv axle. There is some good tricks to pop off the hub bearing. Get a manual for your jeep too! If you don't feel any binding when you crank the wheel all the way to one side while driving slowly you can probably get by for a little while before the Cv is completely gone. If the boot is indeed ripped you are on borrowed time though.
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B93 View Post
I guess next time I should be more clear. "I realize I am missing a cap here that is most likely for power steering, is it terrible to be driving around without one?" would have been closer to my actual thoughts, I just worded it somewhat sarcastically which doesn't translate well on the internet. I'm somewhat new to all this, but at the same time I can still turn a wrench
lol my bad. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt around here. Good Luck with the repairs, they seem to never end, i'll be doing some tomorrow
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
papitt
1995 ZJ 

.. I saw a lot of P/S cap blew off while I WORKED AT Jeep .. SO most likely you can buy a cap at the parts store but you may need to go for a wrecking yard run. Or last resort the Stealership.
.... I priced front drive axles for mine a few weeks back They were about 65.00 each now that price may have been My cost to myself since I can buy from a jobber. Sorry I don't remember but if that is so then the axles should cost about 100.00 each. and most likely about another $100.00 to put them in. Watch so you can do it next time .. Not very hard.
papitt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Oreilly's has generic caps, but I'd go to a junkyard and get one if it I had a choice.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.